Spencer at LT

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Goldeagle, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

How do you people think he did?

2. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I have the same question? People are posting that the O-line played somewhat poorly today? What appeared to be the problem? Do we miss Wand after all?

3. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

From a TV standpoint he seemed ok, overwhelmed at times.

4. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Some good, some bad, looked like a rookie, but people have to remember we have alot of those so mistakes are gonna happen. The future looks bright though.

5. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Is it me or does it seem like McKenney looks lost at times?

6. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Cant really say, tv broadcast didnt give much chance to see. However, we had a couple of sacks coming from the blindside, dont know if that was his fault. However, unlike last year, I dont expect Carr to get sacked everytime he drops back. I think by the half-way point of the season we are going to be a very good offense.

7. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

I saw a play where McKinney was blocking and all of the sudden he squatted down and Carr threw a pass right over his head, it was awsome kinda Ninja!:redtowel:

8. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i thought spencer looked pretty good from what i saw.

9. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

Spencer was good, kinda hard to pick up three guys comming off the weak side as a LT. He has alot of power for a rookie. He is going to be a force in the weeks to come.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Without going back over the game and not specifically watching him, I thought he looked like a very good rookie. He had a false start but no other problems I can remember offhand. I don't think any of the sacks were his fault.

So... thumbs up, I think.

11. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Good to know he looked decent, I dont blame him for not picking up the blitz but watching on TV you dont get the full view of the game.

Is Winston ready to take Weigerts place? Heck he will be injured soon enough.

12. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

From ESPN, "Houston's supposedly improved offensive line gave up five sacks -- the same as in the 2005 opener -- and the Texans didn't score in the second half. Trent Cole had two sacks as the Eagles took advantage of rookie left tackle Charles Spencer."

Looks like he gave up 2 sacks. That is unbelievably terrible, if its correct

13. Grubber119

Grubber119 Rookie

I thoought he played very inconsistent. He got beat several time and Carr was able to get out of it..I thought the o-line overal looked horrible. no push on runs and they picked up the blitzes poorly

14. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

He looked like a rookie like others said. What I liked from him though is his attitude. I constantly saw him in the faces of other players and he played with some fire in him. Its good to finally see some fight in our players.

15. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

This is the problem with the zone scheme, despite what people say, it is not known for protecting the QB. Any time you have a scheme there are strengths and weaknesses. The zone scheme is ment to support a fine running attack, but its weak point is blocking for a pocket passer. That's why a mobile QB is necessary. You can't block two different ways or you become predictable.

It would appear that our blocking didn't produce for our RB's, so we need to see why. It certainly is true that Philly has one of the better defensive units and we may simply were not ready to play that level of 'D' line.

16. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

If you really look at the game, it was the right side of the line that was horrible. Kubiak kept making adjustments with Weary and McKinney, and neither played well. Spencer didn't play like an all-pro, but didn't give up a sack to a VERY GOOD D-LINE!

17. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

People are saying Spencer was responsible for 2 sacks. Which way is it?

18. Nordfan

Nordfan Noob

Nfl.com shows about the same report of Spencer as ESPN. I find it surprising that a 7-9 season in 2004, followed by a 2-14, and the only difference is the absence of Wand on the line, and you're screaming for a new left tackle. Well, he's here, and the handwriting's on the wall: first game 2005...5 sacks; first game 2006...5 sacks.

19. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

I didn't see that. I saw the entire left side of the line give a sack on a blitz, thats the only bad thing I saw his way.

I like Spencer, when he plays he looks incredibly strong.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Stop friggin misinforming people. Zone blocking refers to run blocking and run blocking only. The scheme has zilch to do with pass blocking. The only reason some team's pass blocking has been affected is going with smaller OLmen who do less well when in pass protection. The Texans have not gone to an undersized OL as is pretty obvious looking at Spencer and Pitts on the left side.