Spencer according to Megan Manfull

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans Pride, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

In this mornings Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4440416.html

Texans rookie Charles Spencer has a metal plate and about eight screws in his knee. The fracture that ended his season after just two starts has healed.

That doesn't mean the Texans will have their starting left offensive tackle back any time soon, though. In fact, what appeared to be a bright NFL future for Spencer is now in question because of cartilage around his knee that was damaged as a result of the injury.
    "It's certainly an injury that threatens a guy's career, especially a guy like Spencer," said Dr. Walter Lowe, the team physician who performed Spencer's surgery Sept. 18.

2. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Hmm...I was under the impressing it was the initial leg break that would jepordize his career...this is the first I've heard about knee cartillage. This doesn't sound good. That is the stuff that DW is missing.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

All the more reason to make a serious effort to acquire some top shelf talent at LT in the offseason.

4. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Between DDub and Spencer, we have a healthy set of knees. :marionaner:

5. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i think he'll be back and still good

6. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

Unfortunately this year draft is very thin at tackle position and out side of Thomas no one is considered franchise LT in this draft. Both Baker and Long are staying in college for senior year.

7. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

I can't even imagine this loss if he doesn't return...

8. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

"This was a big disappointment," Spencer said. "It was kind of a weird fracture. But it happened for a reason. I'll be out there next year."
    Great attitude by Charles......this guy is a winner!

I'm sure counting on Charles, and I hope he's there ready to go full speed. Because if he is, we're going to be better," Kubiak said. "But we've got to operate assuming that may not happen."
    Great motivation for Charles.....this guy is a winner too! :twocents:

9. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

Now THATS what i wanted to hear...Good Attitude Baby!!!!!!

10. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

What in the world is the "team physician" doing performing this type of surgery? If the injury is as bad as is being reported it should have been done by some uber doc, not the team doctor. Team docs are good for cortizone shots and tapin' ankles.

I hope this is just an honest mistake by Manfull.

vvvvv I lost a bet vvvvv

11. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Good only for cortizone shots and taping ankles? Maybe you oughta check out Dr. Lowe's credentials first before making such an ignorant statement about him the next time there, slick.:loser

12. SamuraiSword

SamuraiSword Veteran

I better see that man out there next season. I want a good offensive lineman protecting our next QB whoever it is.

13. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

I wouldn't really listen to atheltes on wheter they would be out there next year. Just look at Jeff Bagwell last offseason, or Domanick Williams(Davis) this preseason. Good attitude, but sometimes the body won't allow you to do it.

14. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

McClain says:

Manfull says:

The truth (whatever that is) appears to be that they don't know yet:

We as fans are going to have to wait and see what happens with Spencer. The optimistic side of me says Spencer will be back at full strength, but optimism has led to disappointment with this team before. What a bummer.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/fans_want_questions_about_carr.html
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4440416.html

15. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Is it just me or is our OLT position more cursed than the guys on Madden's cover?

16. CT CSTM

CT CSTM Rookie

Spencer does have a good attitude about it and is working very hard to be back, he appreciates the supporting fans and that helps his confidence. I know I can't ask but I wish all the "Doubters" could keep a cap on it because he does occassionally read this board. He's a bright kid and has a great future ahead of him and he totally believes in himself and his ability,,,,

CowboysTexansFan likes this.
  17. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Most doubters aren't basing much of their doubts on Spencer himself, just on the Texans LT position and the front office's inability to do the right things there. Spencer is one of the most highly regarded players on the team, especially in comparison to the playing time he's had.

18. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

First I hope Spencer is back to 100% when OTA's start we need him on this team BAAAAAD.

BUT:
    Anybody else out there think we need to Trade-Up to get Thomas?

Up-Side: Spence comes back 100% and is good to go we have TWO big nasties to protect our QB(who ever it is) and plow the road for our RB's.
    Our O-line would be set for YEARS to come. (Spencer, Thomas, Winston,Hodgens,Flanagan,Pitts,Mckinney)(I know I'm missing someone?not salamm)

Down-Side: Spence is not ready and may never be. Sucks, but we have to face facts that Knee/leg Injures can be a tricky thing.(REF: DD/DW) But we have Joe Thomas, a true LT to plug in. Will be paying big money but I refer you back to the Up-side listed above.

That said hope Spencer continues to keep up the hard work in Rehab and get well soon.

19. jdog

jdog All Pro

Big Nasty, if you are reading this thread, just know that you are a team favorite, and we're all supporting you and hoping the best for you.

:respect:

20. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

I was hoping you'd post after I read the article in the Chronicle because of your personal relationship with him, so thanks for that. :)

If Mr. Charles is reading, I want to extend my best wishes to him and hope he continues to work hard during his rehab. Everytime Coach Kubiak talks about Spencer, he always has great things to say about him as a player. It must give him a lot of encouragement that the team thinks so highly of him.

I hope we soon get that news that Spencer will be back in uniform and at full strength for the beginning of next season. GO BIG NASTY!!! :yahoo: