Spencer according to McClain

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by joedinkle, Jan 1, 2007.

1. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

So I guess all this career threatening talk isn't true.

2. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

McClain was only giving his opinion. That's all......but I really hope Charles is back next year and ready to kick butt !

3. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that this is true and Spencer will be back at full strengh and ready to get after it. Still think we need to look for O-linemen in the Draft so we have Depth AND QUIALITY at the O-Line positions. Injury Bug is a nasty little thing that tens to bite our o-line every year need to be ready for it next year.

Here's to Spencers FULL recovery.:yahoo:

4. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Weary to Center? Helloooo! We have Flanagan, one of the best centers in the league, unless he is a FA next year????...

5. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Yep, I think Spencer's rehab is one of the biggest question marks heading into next year.

Good luck to him and hope to see him starting in Week One.

6. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Weary was the best C in his draft class and has played fairly well at OG.

Flanagan was one of the biggest dissapointments for us last year. He pretty much sucked it up and couldn't hold his own at the POA. He got no drive and could not turn his hip to seal a lane. He came out with good punch, but was back on his heels too much. Hodgen looked no better to say the least. IMO, we either draft at top C or move Weary over.

7. wwffan99tx

wwffan99tx Veteran

Are you kidding me?? Flanagan was flat out horrible here. Hopefully he is long gone!

8. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

I don't get that either. Weary had a hard enough time learning to play guard. Leave him where he's at. Hodgdon is a pretty good backup for Flanagan.

9. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Not sure what everyone was expecting from Flanagan. It was widely reported before the season that the real benefit in signing him would be his positive influence in the locker room as opposed to anything he could (still) do on the field. You really can't count on him as a full time starter any more.

10. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

...but Flannagan had a high rating in Madden...

Who said Spencer's injury was career threatning? Who would you trust more than McClain?

11. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

McClain didn't say 'In my opinion' he said it matter of factly. He IS recovering nicely. Whether he actually is or not, I don't know. McClain probably does know. If he would've said, from what I hear, that may have lent some speculation to it. He said it as if he knows it so...we'll see.

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I know that McClain has spoken to Kevin Bastin about it very recently.

13. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

Any homeless person living in Houston.

14. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

If Spencer is going to be fine, we may have a chance to do something. Let's assume Russell comes out...bla,bla,bla....

1.) Is it remotely possible that the Texans could trade Carr to the Raiders simply to move up in the draft? David and the 8th pick to the Raiders? (Probably not but here's to hope!)

If we could somehow move up and get Joe Thomas.

LT - Thomas
    LG - Pitts
    C - Weary/ McKinney
    RG - Winston (Who BTW has looked pretty darn good!)
    RT - Spencer

That OL has some promise! Of course, it would be ironic to trade David for the final piece in the OL.

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Gary Kubiak.

This all stated from the mouth of Kubiak many weeks ago on his radio show. He was the one who stated that the injury could be one he may not come back from....and that he would be monitoring it closely since it was worse than they expected at first glance.

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Does not make sense. In that scenario we would be paying for Carr's contract 7.25m next year and eating another 2m the follwing year, just to move up a couple of spots to pay another Rookie top money against our 109m cap.

As much as I do not want Carr it does not make any sense to trade him or to trade for him. His trade value is more about getting an accurate measure of his true demand in order to position a re negotiated contract. That is my opinion or how I would be playing it on the Texans side.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Carr's total cap liability is around $5.2 million whether he is traded or released.

The entire hit counts in the current year if he is traded.

It can be split over two years if he is a post-June 1 release (unlikely) or a player designated for release prior to the beginning of the new league year - on or around March 1 - in order to gain the post-June 1 cap benefit in accordance with the new CBA (more likely if he is released and not traded).

18. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

How did a Spencer thread turn into a Carr thread?

19. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

At 6-4, 352 he is certainly big enough, is there an issue with his speed or mechanics that I am not aware of?

If it is a foregone conclusion that they are going to make the switch, does anyone know if there are going to be any premiere left tackles available in free agency?

Some people are acting like we can just run to Kroger and pick up a Jonathon Ogden, or find a clone of D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the eigth pick. :shades:

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

See the post by Drama. Kind of a natural musing it seems ..."then what if Spencer comes back healthy..."