Sounds like Carr is already passing the buck...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by NFLforher, Sep 6, 2006.

1. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2848&section=N Latest News

Quote:

“We will just try to get some completions and run the football well. I think, especially, if we can run the football well that’s going to show how we will play the entire year. If we’re able to run the ball effectively, that’s how our offense will play. Play-action, it’s all set up off the run game. If we can’t do that, then it’s going to be tough.”

Anticipating and making excuses already? :hides:

2. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

Well, what he said was true...so I'll take it for what it's worth...

3. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

I live in the Valley. I'm a Carr supporter. I just don't like that statement. While football is a team sport, he has to take responsibility for his own play and I don't see that.

4. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

In a run based system, if the run gets shut down, we're in trouble. If no one is afraid of the run, then we can't PA pass. Basically what he said is true. Also, quotes taken out of context can mean almost anything.

5. valleytexfan

I hear you NFL, I do. But running the football is the motor to Gary Kubiak's vehicle...it's got to work in order for defenses to believe Carr's gonna hand off, which opens up the play fakes and bootlegs.
    Now should he have said that, I dunno. I see your point there.

6. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

True... to a point. It just worries me. I'd like to hear him be more confident, in his own ability and others.

7. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

Yes, it does. We've seen with no running game and only one target, how he gets slammed in the dirt and the team loses.

This statement concerns me, like he is anticipating the worst.

Do you think he's mad we didn't take Bush?

8. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I don't think that statement and Carr's responsibilities are relative. He is just stating the obvious.... Kubiak brought the Broncos system with him, and Carr described it pretty well. If anything that statement just shows that Carr understands his place in the offense. I am actually pleased by it.

9. valleytexfan

He might have been a little concerned, but with Moulds and better coaching around him, he's got to be feeling better. It's like he's a rookie all over again.
    What part of the Valley NFL?

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

just Carr following Kubiaks lead

11. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

After going and reading the entire quote from Carr I can understand why he said what he did.

(on what he will try to do Sunday to get the Texans started) “We will just try to get some completions and run the football well. I think, especially, if we can run the football well that’s going to show how we will play the entire year. If we’re able to run the ball effectively, that’s how our offense will play. Play-action, it’s all set up off the run game. If we can’t do that, then it’s going to be tough.”

He's not making excuses. He's simply stating what the offense is. Everyone on this message board knows our offense is based on the run, and yet Carr is called out for it when he says the exact same thing.

12. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Well, are you surprised? We all know David's motto "Just play well!".

13. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

Besides, if we are talking about excuses, I think Mario already has his set up.

(on whether he has played Madden as himself against McNabb and how that went) “I could never get to him.”

We're in big trouble now.

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

He basically just described Denver's offensive scheme that they've been running for years, the same one we run here...I don't see why this is even a story. Kubiak's system is a run oriented offense, he's probably just repeating what he's been hearing all offseason. People are now just getting rediculous.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Just have never considered him Texan. He is a soft spoken aw shucks type guy. Which is great unless you become the face of the Texans, who are the complete opposite of what "their face" looks, acts and plays like.

Regardless of the image thing, I just want the dude to play mistake free and contribute to the offense's improvement.

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I agree totally, but they've been rediculous for some time now--on both sides.

17. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

I don't care what he says, I just wanna see what he does on the field. Is it just me or is Carr becoming almost Capers like in his interviews? It just seems like he always spits out the same basic sports talk cliches.

18. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

And the Russian judge deducts 10 points for style.

Malloy likes this.
  19. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

I am not a Carr fan yet - I think he needs to step up. No more excuses. As for his comments to the media, I can't blame him for keeping it neutral since whatever he says will be repeated, taken out of context and analized ad nauseum.

I just hope he has more fire in the belly and hunger to win than he sounds.

20. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

After the beating he's taken it's a little much too ask of him to be a cocky gunslinger. That being said, I'd prefer him to say "Even if they can stop the run, our passing game can carry us." I think there's something to be said for a little cockiness in the quarterback. Maybe he's just a modest, actions speak louder than words guy.