Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

SOTT Top 20 for 2015

Kareem-Jackson-New-York-Giants-v-Houston-Texans-XuBUqXHnxmTl.jpg

Times Have Changed for the Texans' Kareem Jackson

It has been a long journey for Kareem Jackson to get to where he is today, which is a focal point of the Houston Texans defense who can play both the run and pass from the cornerback position.

Starting with a rookie season in 2010 that he would likely prefer to forget, Jackson evolved into one of the top defenders on the Texans defense. More than just a boundary cornerback, Jackson was featured in a new position under Romeo Crennell as the slot cornerback in nickel and dime defensive packages.

Taking advantage of his tackling ability in the middle of the field, Jackson showed his versatility playing both cornerback position and some safety last season. There is still some work for him to fine tune his coverage game from the slot position, but a second year in the defensive system will only help Jackson.

“I think that we’re a little bit further along now, being that everybody knows what to expect out of coach (Bill) O’Brien and defense-wise, we know what to do,” said Jackson entering this season. “Being in our second year in this scheme, we progress as a defense and we’re doing a lot more now. Our communication is very well right now and I think that’s coming from us being in our second year in the scheme. It’s looking pretty good now.”

Set to be a starter next to Johnathan Joseph for the fifth season in a row, Jackson was a priorty to bring back after his contract expired after last season. Now in the fold for the foreseeable future, Jackson is still growing as a player and it starts with his all-around game from the position.

Jackson is part of a cornerback group that is probably the most talented in team history and it will be up to him to help lead the group when the season starts. Expectations are high for a defense that is filled with talent and it starts with the veterans on defense, a group which features Kareem Jackson.​

8048979.jpg

Texans "O" Under the Watch of George Godsey

The Houston Texans offense was hard to watch at times in 2014 and the issues started with the quarterback. Putting up 23.2 points (14th in the NFL) and 209.5 passing yards a game (24th in the NFL), the offense was a volume rushing team that led the league in rushing attempts with 551, but was only averaging 3.9 yards a rush, which was 22nd best in the league.

What does this all mean? The Texans need to find a better balance on offense and this year it falls on offensive coordinator George Godsey. The biggest difference is that now, Godsey has the title of offensive coordinator, but this does not change much regarding what happened last year. Godsey was very involved in the play-calling on game days, with final approval from head coach Bill O’Brien.

O’Brien worked with Godsey in New England and wanted to see his quarterbacks coach handle his duties during their first year together in Houston before handing over the title of offensive coordinator.

O’Brien has seen enough after one year to give Godsey that label moving forward.

“He’s one of the first guys to arrive. A very bright guy,” said O’Brien of Godsey. “He works really hard at the game, not only studying what we’re doing but kind of studying the tendencies of the rest of the league on both sides of the ball.”

O’Brien continued, “I just thought he did a heck of a job last year. He did a really good job of dealing with all the things that came up during the year and he deserves this opportunity.”

With the uncertainty of the quarterback situation, Godsey, like O’Brien, will have input on who starts week one between Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. After the decision is made, tailoring the offense around the starter’s strengths will be up to Godsey to develop as the season goes on.

Getting this offense to run how it supposed to will fall squarely on Godsey and involving the tight ends and slot wide receiver will be an added element. Also, to continue to center the offense around the team's two best offensive weapons in Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins will be important to the teams success on the season. For an offense that hardly went to those positions last year, there should be a step up in production especially with the quarterbacks who know the ins and outs of this type of offense.

For Godsey, being named the offensive coordinator comes with heavy responsibility and to help the Texans get into the playoffs, it will start with the offense holding up their end of the bargain.​

Sell it to someone else.

I really want to see you and steelb in a creamed corn death match - irrational knob slobbing against irrational hatred. Loser is the first one to complain about kernels in their whoohaa.

Gotta say I think steelb will "tuck" it up longer than you.

OMG

I cannot stop laughing!

This whole thing about the Texans only averaging 3.9 ypc is a bit overstated. Like the entire running game struggled. Let's call it like it was: Blue had a horrible 3.1 ypc and it brought down the entire team average. But Foster had no issues within the offense averaging 4.8 ypc.

8048979.jpg

Texans "O" Under the Watch of George Godsey

The Houston Texans offense was hard to watch at times in 2014 and the issues started with the quarterback. Putting up 23.2 points (14th in the NFL) and 209.5 passing yards a game (24th in the NFL), the offense was a volume rushing team that led the league in rushing attempts with 551, but was only averaging 3.9 yards a rush, which was 22nd best in the league.

What does this all mean? The Texans need to find a better balance on offense and this year it falls on offensive coordinator George Godsey. The biggest difference is that now, Godsey has the title of offensive coordinator, but this does not change much regarding what happened last year. Godsey was very involved in the play-calling on game days, with final approval from head coach Bill O’Brien.

O’Brien worked with Godsey in New England and wanted to see his quarterbacks coach handle his duties during their first year together in Houston before handing over the title of offensive coordinator.

O’Brien has seen enough after one year to give Godsey that label moving forward.

“He’s one of the first guys to arrive. A very bright guy,” said O’Brien of Godsey. “He works really hard at the game, not only studying what we’re doing but kind of studying the tendencies of the rest of the league on both sides of the ball.”

O’Brien continued, “I just thought he did a heck of a job last year. He did a really good job of dealing with all the things that came up during the year and he deserves this opportunity.”

With the uncertainty of the quarterback situation, Godsey, like O’Brien, will have input on who starts week one between Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. After the decision is made, tailoring the offense around the starter’s strengths will be up to Godsey to develop as the season goes on.

Getting this offense to run how it supposed to will fall squarely on Godsey and involving the tight ends and slot wide receiver will be an added element. Also, to continue to center the offense around the team's two best offensive weapons in Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins will be important to the teams success on the season. For an offense that hardly went to those positions last year, there should be a step up in production especially with the quarterbacks who know the ins and outs of this type of offense.

For Godsey, being named the offensive coordinator comes with heavy responsibility and to help the Texans get into the playoffs, it will start with the offense holding up their end of the bargain.​
Someone please explain the following from the article:

"Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins will be important to the teams success on the season. For an offense that hardly went to those positions last year.."

Foster 260/1246 and Hopkins 76/1210 does not seem to be "hardly went to those positions".

"Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins will be important to the teams success on the season. For an offense that hardly went to those positions last year.."

Foster 260/1246 and Hopkins 76/1210 does not seem to be "hardly went to those positions".

The WR comment is obvious - we ran a **** ton compared to the league.

Which turns to Arian in a run heavy offense - after being pounded the 1st couple weeks, OB went to a diminished reliance on Foster until late in the season.

When Arian led the league in rushing the Texans were 19th in rushing attempts.

Last year the Texans were 1st. Arian ran 67 less times.

Your question was?

This whole thing about the Texans only averaging 3.9 ypc is a bit overstated. Like the entire running game struggled. Let's call it like it was: Blue had a horrible 3.1 ypc and it brought down the entire team average. But Foster had no issues within the offense averaging 4.8 ypc.

There is an issue, though. With Foster, the offense still ran a dominant zone blocking scheme. Blue struggled in zone blocking and ran much better on power blocking runs... So, a big question this year will be how Foster and the Oline handle the transition to the power run scheme.

So, a big question this year will be how Foster and the Oline handle the transition to the power run scheme.

What transition to "the power run scheme?"

We didn't hire Hudson Houck. We hired a guy who played ZBS at Iowa and whose OL coaching experience is 90% ZBS.

Last edited:
There is an issue, though. With Foster, the offense still ran a dominant zone blocking scheme. Blue struggled in zone blocking and ran much better on power blocking runs... So, a big question this year will be how Foster and the Oline handle the transition to the power run scheme.
You have to like an offense that favors the running game. Especially for a team that plays great defense.

The WR comment is obvious - we ran a **** ton compared to the league.

Which turns to Arian in a run heavy offense - after being pounded the 1st couple weeks, OB went to a diminished reliance on Foster until late in the season.

When Arian led the league in rushing the Texans were 19th in rushing attempts.

Last year the Texans were 1st. Arian ran 67 less times.

Your question was?
My position stands. It could have been better said "should go to Foster and Nuk more.." not as stated 'hardly went to those positions'.

He was referring back to this sentence:
Getting this offense to run how it supposed to will fall squarely on Godsey and involving the tight ends and slot wide receiver will be an added element.

temp_MPT8252--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Two Long Years for the Texans' Brian Cushing

It has been two long years since the last time the Houston Texans saw a healthy version of Brian Cushing. This year it appears it is all coming together for one of the most important players for the team's defense.
When healthy, Cushing is one of the most dynamic players the Texans have on the roster and is that uncommon, complete three-down player.

According to Cushing, his health is the best it has been over the past two years on a knee that suffered two severe injuries in close succession. As Cushing pointed out, things have changed this year with his training.

“I can work out again, so that was the biggest thing... A lot of things I wasn’t able to do last year and I was very limited in the things I could do,” explained Cushing. “I just really focused everyday on getting my leg back, learning how to walk again at one point, that’s how far it went. It was just a very severe and rough time I had to go through, but it also limited my offseason on how I could really train and work out. I didn’t have any of those kind of setbacks this year and could really just full go on the offseason.”

It was tough to watch Cushing at times in 2014, especially seeing that the explosiveness he had once possessed was nowhere near the level it had been before the injuries. The final two games of the season, Cushing looked like his old self and he put together his best two games of the season.

Cushing's confidence, which had always been so prominent, appeared to wane before those final games of 2014. Not only was the physical part hard for Cushing to overcome, the mental part of the game was taking its toll.

“Physically you’re inhibited, but it really takes a toll mentally because it’s somewhere you don’t want to be, especially the second time going through it. You finally get over it the first time and then it happens again. It’s devastating,” said Cushing.

With his health better than it has been over the past couple of years, Cushing has a chance to round out an impressive defensive unit.

Playing behind J.J. Watt and Vince Wilfork, Cushing has a chance to be the playmaker he once was when he was. The player that was producing 100 plus tackle seasons, creating turnovers and playing sideline to sideline from the inside of the defense.

Health is key for Cushing, but if there is any indication on how he feels, OTAs and mini-camp showed he is feeling good. This was the first time in three years Cushing went through an entire offseason on the field and he is moving without any restrictions.

“If it’s not 100 percent, maybe it’s 98, 99, so I mean, I can say that up here and really mean it. I’ve said it before and really haven’t, so I’m telling you the truth right now. I feel great and just really excited to be back out there. Mentally, the best I’ve been in a while because physically, it’s the best I’ve been in a long, long time.”​

deandre-hopkins.jpg

Uncharted Waters for Texans' DeAndre Hopkins

The door officially opened for DeAndre Hopkins when the most decorated player in Houston Texans history landed with the Indianapolis Colts. Hopkins is looking to build off of his 2014 campaign which saw the wide receiver achieve a breakout season with 76 receptions for 1,210 yards, six touchdowns.

How big was Hopkins' season?

Hopkins was only the second wide receiver in franchise history to eclipse the 1,000-yard mark in a season and was the first wide receiver not named Andre Johnson to lead the Texans in receiving yards during a season. Additionally, Hopkins set a franchise record in yards per reception with 15.9 yards (minimum of 40 receptions).

His jump in production came from improved route running and development under the Texans coaching staff for his second NFL season. His understanding of the game improved as the season progressed and he learned to adjust in later games, when the majority of defenses the team faced were rolling over safeties to try and control Hopkins.

It is clear that Hopkins has the ability to be the go-to player in the passing game. With the Texans evening out the two other receiver positions, adding Nate Washington and Cecil Shorts III, the three together are a much deeper group than last year's combination of Hopkins, Andre Johnson, and Damaris Johnson.

Hopkins missed all of the spring schedule on the field for the Texans as he recovered from a wrist procedure that was performed right after the 2014 season ended. There is no reason to worry. Hopkins has been working on routes by himself during that time.

This is the reason the Texans made Hopkins their round one selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, to eventually take the torch and become the top option. His production last year came from being Ryan Fitzpatrick’s go-to target in clutch situations.

In order for the Texans offense to take the next step, Hopkins will have to continue his progression as a receiver heading into year three. He will need others to take pressure off him so he can be a viable option for the offense. Regardless, the passing game should be going through Hopkins in 2015.​

8185661.jpg

Xavier Su'a-Filo's Time is Now for the Texans

The Houston Texans wanted to get younger on the interior of the offensive line and looked for that answer in the 2014 NFL draft. At the top of the second round, the Texans selected offensive guard Xavier Su’a-Filo to improve the depth of the offensive line.

His rookie season saw Su’a-Filo overwhelmed with the NFL game, which led to limited action for him his rookie season. His season was cut two games short due to a back issue, but that is all behind him in 2015.

There was a concerted effort by Su’a-Filo to reshape his body for this season and during the spring sessions that the Texans had on the field, his physique showed proof of that effort.

This off-season saw the departure of long time Texans center Chris Myers, which opened the door for Ben Jones to make the jump to center. Now, Su’a-Filo is in line to take over the left guard position, which will be his to lose when training camp arrives.​

8107923.jpg

Texans' Ben Jones Has a New Task in 2015

This is year four for a player with one of the most interesting story lines going into the 2015 season, Ben Jones. Starting since his rookie year, Jones is entering his biggest season with the Texans and for his career. Add in that is a contract year for Jones and it stands to reason that the stakes are high for the new starting center for the Houston Texans.

In 2008, Chris Myers took over the center position and was the definition of consistency, with 128 consecutive regular season games played. Since Myers is no longer with the team, Jones will move back to the position that made him one of the best centers in college prior to being drafted by the Texans.

Jones adds more weight to the position and gives the offense a better anchor in the middle of the offensive line. There were times last season where the Texans struggled to control the line of scrimmage with bigger defensive lineman on the attack.

Jones will start his third different position on the offensive line in four years and he will be depended on to be the leader of his position group. Being able to make calls and see adjustments on the fly, Jones is going into the year with much more responsibility.

His starting experience will help on the field, but his success at the position for the Georgia Bulldogs will be leaned on so he can get into the groove quickly during camp.​

tempBB1_3191--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Rahim Moore Has to Be a Difference Maker

Houston Texans safety Rahim Moore was one of the prizes of the free agency period and the defense will be depending on the veteran to hold down middle of the field.

How important is Moore? Besides Stevie Brown, Moore has the most experience at the position and will be the undoubted leader of the safeties. Moore knows what his role is, being signed to be both a starter and a difference maker at the position.

“When you play the game at safety, you have to be a leader,” explained Moore of his leadership role. “You have to communicate. You have to have a certain verbiage about yourself that you have to take control because you’re the quarterback of the defense. That’s what it’s all about.”

Learning from Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins with the Denver Broncos, Moore brought some important pieces of knowledge he gained playing next to the two veterans with him to Houston.

Moore will be leaned upon to help continue the Texans ways of creating turnovers and playing solid defense. The only real known safety who should be starting week one, his experience and solid play will be needed to improve the play in the secondary.

Moore understands the mentality that Bill O’Brien is trying to bring to Houston: compete during practice for spots on the roster and that will carry over to game days.

“I love the competitive nature we have going on,” said Moore. “They’ve done a great job getting us all in that mind frame of competing because that’s what the NFL is all about. If you want to win a title or you want to be great in this league, you’re going to have to compete with the best each and every day.”​

I'm probably more hyped for this new addition than any other made this offseason. His coverage could add a whole new dimension to the pass rush and the responsibilities of KJ, JJo, and whomever mans the other safety spot.

I'm probably more hyped for this new addition than any other made this offseason. His coverage could add a whole new dimension to the pass rush and the responsibilities of KJ, JJo, and whomever mans the other safety spot.
Me, too. I like that we had a chance to watch him in joint practices '14 training camp and I got the impression he really wanted to come here.

18137386-mmmain.jpg

Vince Wilfork Is a "Big" Key For the Texans

New Houston Texans defensive tackle Vince Wilfork fell into the organization’s lap after the New England Patriots moved on from the veteran. Wilfork is arriving to the Texans with a proven track record, including Super Bowl rings and a career of producing above average play from the interior of the defense.

The fit seemed too be good to be true given the Patriots’ influence that has settled into Texans organization over the past year. Head coach Bill O’Brien, offensive coordinator George Godsey, defensive coordinator (and the man that drafted Wilfork) Romeo Crennel, and former teammate and linebacker coach Mike Vrabel all have once been involved in Patriots football but are now core pieces of Houston Texans coaching staff. The bridge was here for Wilfork to feel at home with the Texans.

The addition of Wilfork to the defensive line raises expectations and creates possibly the strongest unit of the team. Wilfork, with his size and movement skills, will be more than a two-down player for the defense. He is still able to produce on the field and having him next to J.J. Watt will be an interesting combination to watch as the season progresses.

The one thing the Texans knew about with Wilfork is the influence he would have on the locker room. O’Brien has continued to build his roster to include a strong presence of veteran role models for the team both on and off the field, and that is what Wilfork is for the Texans.

“I just want to be a guy that has played the game for a while that they can always turn to and ask questions about anything football-wise or off the field,” said Wilfork.

Wilfork makes a point to talk to the entire team, not just players on the defense. “The way that I look at the game is different,” explained Wilfork “I don’t just look at a game from a defensive standpoint. I talk to the quarterbacks. I talk to the punter. I talk to DBs. I talk to the receivers. I talk to all of my teammates.”

Bill O’Brien has a sense of comfort with the veteran addition.

“It makes us all feel good to see number 75 in the middle of that defense,” said O’Brien. “He’s a great veteran player. He’s added a lot to our locker room. We’re very happy to have him here.”

With the addition of Wilfork, expectations have risen for the defense and the team. If he can give solid play and be a three-down player, Wilfork could be one of the best value free agents the Texans have added in some time.​

FOST.jpg

The Texans Offense Will Depend on Arian Foster

Arian Foster was the Houston Texans most productive offensive player in 2014, and once again, he will be the focal point this coming season. Coming off his best season since the 2012 season, Foster was still productive despite missing three games.

Head coach Bill O’Brien is not shying away from his starting running back and holds high expectations for him within the offense.

“Well, we have a very good running back so you can rest assured that as long as he’s healthy and he’s out there, we will run the ball,” said O’Brien on Foster.

He continued, “He was a big part of it last year. He was a big part of it. When he plays and he’s out there, he means a lot to our offense. He’s one of the best backs in the league.”

It was a season that saw Foster average 4.8 yards a carry and 1,573 all-purpose yards with 13 total touchdowns. When the Texans had to have a big play from scrimmage, the team leaned on Foster in that department. Foster was third in the NFL with 12 rushes for over 20 yards or more, and ranked second in the NFL with 95.8 rushing yards a game.

Add in the fact that Foster was used once again the passing game and 2014 was a nice bounce back season after coming back from back surgery during the 2013 season.

Having Foster on the field gives the Texans an added dimension to the offense with a running back threat both on the ground and as a target in the passing game out of the backfield. The bulk of the carries will go to Foster, but O’Brien did a good job of keeping his carries low at around 20 per game. Keeping Foster healthy is a big task for the upcoming season but if OTAs were any indication of where he is health wise, it is a positive start. Foster did not miss any work during the spring and looked better than he had in previous seasons.

A true dual threat, Foster makes his offensive linemen better with his vision and his ability to make defenders miss, especially in the second level of the defense. His recognition in pass protection is unmatched and shows his high football IQ. Foster is still playing at an exceptional level and there has been no real indication that his play is falling off.​

I really hope Foster can stay healthy this year. The offense is so much more dynamic with him on the field.

I really hope Foster can stay healthy this year. The offense is so much more dynamic with him on the field.
I'm surprized he's this low in this "countdown". Can't think of three players more important to the offense's - and therefore the team's - success than Foster.

18137386-mmmain.jpg

New Houston Texans defensive tackle Vince Wilfork fell into the organization’s lap after the New England Patriots moved on from the veteran. Wilfork is arriving to the Texans with a proven track record, including Super Bowl rings and a career of producing above average play from the interior of the defense.

The fit seemed too be good to be true given the Patriots’ influence that has settled into Texans organization over the past year. Head coach Bill O’Brien, offensive coordinator George Godsey, defensive coordinator (and the man that drafted Wilfork) Romeo Crennel, and former teammate and linebacker coach Mike Vrabel all have once been involved in Patriots football but are now core pieces of Houston Texans coaching staff. The bridge was here for Wilfork to feel at home with the Texans.

The addition of Wilfork to the defensive line raises expectations and creates possibly the strongest unit of the team. Wilfork, with his size and movement skills, will be more than a two-down player for the defense. He is still able to produce on the field and having him next to J.J. Watt will be an interesting combination to watch as the season progresses.

The one thing the Texans knew about with Wilfork is the influence he would have on the locker room. O’Brien has continued to build his roster to include a strong presence of veteran role models for the team both on and off the field, and that is what Wilfork is for the Texans.

“I just want to be a guy that has played the game for a while that they can always turn to and ask questions about anything football-wise or off the field,” said Wilfork.

Wilfork makes a point to talk to the entire team, not just players on the defense. “The way that I look at the game is different,” explained Wilfork “I don’t just look at a game from a defensive standpoint. I talk to the quarterbacks. I talk to the punter. I talk to DBs. I talk to the receivers. I talk to all of my teammates.”

“It makes us all feel good to see number 75 in the middle of that defense,” said O’Brien. “He’s a great veteran player. He’s added a lot to our locker room. We’re very happy to have him here.”

With the addition of Wilfork, expectations have risen for the defense and the team. If he can give solid play and be a three-down player, Wilfork could be one of the best value free agents the Texans have added in some time.​
18137386-mmmain.jpg

I am an offensive lineman and I look across at Wilfork and pee my pants a little. I hear a growl from JJ Watt and I poop my pants a little. It's gonna be a long game.

I'm surprized he's this low in this "countdown". Can't think of three players more important to the offense's - and therefore the team's - success than Foster.

At least one more defensive player to certainly go on this list. Any guesses? Then I'm taking a stab at Duane Brown and Bill O'Brien to round out the final three.

At least one more defensive player to certainly go on this list. Any guesses? Then I'm taking a stab at Duane Brown and Bill O'Brien to round out the final three.
LOL... well, I figured our friendly neighborhood media "darling" will be at the top. :)

Watt-held1.0.jpg

Texans Need J.J. Watt To Produce Once Again

What reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt has in store is one of the most intriguing topics for the upcoming 2015 football season. Watt racked up 20.5 sacks and 78 total tackles from his defensive end position in 2014. At the relatively young age of 26, Watt has the work ethic to continue building upon his already impressive story.

Watt gains some key players around him to aid in adding to his NFL story: a healthy Brian Cushing, a new cog in the defensive line with Vince Wilfork, and potential difference-maker Jadeveon Clowney on the mend. The pieces around Watt will only help him be even more of a force for the defense.

“I mean, you just look at every single level of the defense,” explained Watt. “Whether it’s upfront with me and Vince (Wilfork) and (Jared) Crick, or its Whitney (Mercilus) and (John) Simon, Cush (Brian Cushing) and Bull (Max Bullough) and Tarp (Jeff Tarpinian) and those guys back there. Then you got Rahim (Moore), Kareem (Jackson), and J-Jo (Johnathan Jospeh). You go down the list of our defense, it’s going to be a whole lot of fun to play in.”

The defense runs off of Watt’s big play capability, and the defense can get a good read on what offenses want to do based on where he lines up. Watt had primarily turned into a left defensive end, taking advantage of right tackles on game days. His versatility to play as 4-3 defensive end and a 3-4 two gapping end makes him a rare combination on the defensive line.

Watt is clearly the best defensive player on the field and can turn around a game single-handedly. The question is not how he responds, but if he can maintain this level of elite play on the field.​

I figure Newton will be #2 and one of the quarterbacks #1. Watt was a surprise since his talent and health are not in question. This is an "if they perform well" list, isn't it?

I figure Newton will be #2 and one of the quarterbacks #1. Watt was a surprise since his talent and health are not in question. This is an "if they perform well" list, isn't it?

State of the Texans complied a Top 20 list for the most important pieces for the Houston Texans' success in 2015.
is the only criteria that I've seen mentioned.

Unless we somehow acquired 20 guys more important than J.J. I figure he's a lock under that heading.

houston-texans-quarterbacks-ryan-mallett-15-brian-hoyer-7-and-tom-savage-3.jpeg

Hoyer or Mallett the Texans Only Hope
P.D. StarrOwner/Editor
State of the Texans complied a Top 20 list for the most important pieces for the Houston Texans' success in 2015.

The only way the Houston Texans go where they want in 2015 is with sound quarterback play. However, the question remains who will be under center for week one. Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett will be the topic of discussion heading into training camp and for the Texans, the decision cannot come soon enough so they can move in a specific direction for the season.

Head coach Bill O’Brien has positioned himself to make the quarterback choice early in camp, although some felt sure that the decision would come prior to the break before camp.

“I think we feel very confident in both guys. We really do. We have two good guys there that have really good knowledge of our system and that have both done a really good job. It’s been tough,” said O’Brien of his quarterbacks. “We’ve thrown a lot of situations at those guys. We’ve blared the music, we’ve put them into things where maybe we necessarily didn’t meet about in the morning, you know? We wanted to see how they would react to a different situation. Right now, both those guys are working very hard and, like I said, they’ve both done a good job.”

When asked what it will take to name the starter for the season, O’Brien answered: “The most consistent guy. The guy that makes the most consistent, correct decisions, consistently completes the ball to the right guy, and gets us into the right play. The most consistent guy.”

Both Hoyer and Mallett have two different skill sets and whoever wins the starting quarterback job will need the offense to be built around their strengths. Hoyer has issues with throws outside the numbers, but has an underrated deep ball and has shown to be consistent in the middle of the field with his passes due to his quick release. As for Mallett, he can be lazy with his feet which leads to some erratic passing but when he gets his feet set, he has better than average accuracy and his overall speed on the football gets to its intended target before defenders can react.

Who will win the starting job is still in the air but one thing is for sure, the Texans will only be as good as their signal caller on the field. The team found out the hard way that poor quarterback play can lead to not so good results. Plus, an injured Mallett (torn pectoral), Ryan Fitzpatrick (broken leg), and inexperienced Tom Savage during the most crucial part of the season proved too much resulting in the team missing the playoffs by just one win.

Hoyer and Mallett have to stop the quarterback carousel experienced in Houston last season and provide some stability from week to week. With sound decision making and knowledge of the system, there would seem to be a step up for the offense in 2015, given how Fitzpatrick was trying to find his way with the offense last season.

Quarterback play will once again be the difference for the Texans, who are now going into two full seasons of searching for some sort of answer.​

SOTT report said <snip>
Quarterback play will once again be the difference for the Texans, who are now going into two full seasons of searching for some sort of answer.​
They failed to find that answer during the draft. There's no kind way to put it. They flat out failed.

092814-NFL-Texans-JJ-Watt-PI-CH.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg

Expectations Are Rising for Bill O'Brien

It is no secret that in his second season as the Houston Texans head coach, Bill O'Brien is the key to the success of the team. In his first season, the team was transitioning out of the Gary Kubiak era of players and the roster has been being built in the way O'Brien sees fit.

In year two, there is a considerable difference in the players he is looking for; bigger, longer, faster, and overall more athletic football players. The general thought is that O’Brien will fit players accordingly depending on certain criteria, especially for drafted rookies. Focusing on arm length and, most importantly, short shuttle times, and it is clear the team his getting a complete makeover.

Of the current 89 players on the roster, just 27 are from the Kubiak era, while four of the 27 have not yet appeared in an NFL game.

O’Brien has made some bold choices to move on from Andre Johnson and Chris Myers, then his hand-picked free agent quarterback Brian Hoyer to compete with Ryan Mallett for the starting position. This comes after two NFL drafts bypassing available quarterbacks as O’Brien puts his faith into the unproven Mallett and veteran Hoyer, who both are comfortable in the offensive system.

Finding a way to win nine games in 2014 was a monumental outcome for a Texans team that bottomed out the year before with only two wins. With a favorable schedule on paper, expecations are raised in year two for the Texans under Bill O'Brien and the team should be looking to lock up a wild card spot in 2015.

O’Brien’s no-nonsense approach, which holds players accountable but at the same time allows him to be a player’s coach, has worked wonders with the orgnaization. Building around a strong youthful core with the likes of J.J. Watt, DeAndre Hopkins and Kareem Jackson, plus key veterans like Duane Brown, Vince Wilfork and Johnathan Joseph O’Brien is assembling a mix of good players on the field who have leadership qualities in the locker room.

O’Brien’s plan is in full swing and probing how his way works will be the test in 2015. His upcoming decision on the quarterback competition sets the ball in motion for the success of the Texans this year.​

Just curious, who would you have taken that would be starting this year?
They should have taken Bryce Petty. He wasn't ready to be an NFL QB, but he's smart and will be ready very soon. Would he start this year? Probably, and if not, surely after a season or two.

They should have taken Bryce Petty. He wasn't ready to be an NFL QB, but he's smart and will be ready very soon. Would he start this year? Probably, and if not, surely after a season or two.
Wow. I strongly wish that Indy would hire you in the scouting dept. or as GM. You'd be a massive help to the Texans in that capacity.

The question was about which qb would be a difference for this year's team. And if a team is starting Petty this season they have more to worry about than we do.

Back