Something completely different

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Thorn, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

This is a thread for positive thoughts only. I know just about 100% of us are fairly aggravated right now, but let’s push that aside for this thread.

We are only a running back and a few O linemen away from having a hell of a kick ass offense. One that will dominate defenses in the NFL for years to come. The Patriots and Colts are in the twilight of their dominance. They will still kick some serious butt for a while, but we are younger, getting better, and will take over their mantle when they slide.

Our defense has further to go, but when our D-line reaches its potential and we plug a few holes in the secondary, our defense and offense will become exceptional at pretty much the same time period (in a few years) and then it will be our time. Our time.

And no, I will not share what I’m smoking with you. [​IMG]

2. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I feel the same way. While these losses are TOUGH, it's hard not to be optimistic about what this team could be. I don't see the point in a lot of the knee-jerk sky-is-falling "OMG I just watched the Texans lose 2 minutes ago and I now must post my opinions about the game, an opinion that will be colored greatly by raw emotions" reactions that sometimes are prevalent after a loss.

GlassHalfFull and Thorn like this.
  3. mike moffat

mike moffat Hall of Fame

I agree. I really feel that we are on the right track. We're gonna have a few set backs and a few disappointing losses. Games that we should have or could have won. But, we are definately headed in the right direction.

Thorn and GlassHalfFull like this.
  4. Fox

Fox All Pro

We obviously made the right decision picking up Schaub, which was a big question mark entering the season. We're a top 5 passing offense right now and that puts us in elite company if we can keep it up.

5. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

While the losses are bad, I'm not depressed for days afterward as I have been in previous years. This year I can see that there will be brighter days ahead - it is just going to take some time, more patience from the fans, and a few more good players. We are close to being a for real, NFL playoff team.

Bum said a few weeks ago that it took three years for a Mario type person to reach his full potential - I'm holding him to that and hoping our D Line does grow up a lot toward the end of this year and next year. The potential is there - it is just young.

I believe.:fans:

6. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

I believe!

Okay, I also tend to do the post-game "THESE GUYS ARE KILLING ME!" posts, but that is mainly to keep from subjecting my wife and four-year-old to tirades about our o-line, play calling, etc.

I absolutely think these guys are on the right track. It's not perfect, but we've got some cornerstones to build on and that's more than we've been able to say in the past couple of years.

I think if we can score a handful of positions (LB, FS, C, LT, RB) and move some of those current starters to being depth guys... well, if we can do that then we'll be pretty dang solid. It's a lot better position we find ourselves in than last year when our shopping list was longer than my wife's Wal-Mart list and we had little room under the cap.:whip:

We're on the right track. I feel so much so, in fact, that I'm actually mad when we lose. I EXPECT to win every week which, again, is a nice feeling for a change.

And, hey, it could be worse! We could be Dolphins fans! Or even worse - Rams fans! They're just as bad record wise as the inept sea mammals and they don't even get the great weather!

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Just seeing how TJ has improved and they way he's playing with a passion gives me hope for our Defense. Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye are twice as talented as he is and once they develop in a few years and TJ has that much more experience our DL is going to be soooo good. Demeco is still going to be terrific and Dunta & Bennet should be a good CB duo.

Our defense is so young and on its way to being extremely good.

Matt Schaub is amazing. I can't wait till our OL becomes one cohesive unit and protects him/ blocks well for the running game. We'll have 1 or 2 good young backs by then and AJ/Jacoby Jones are going to be sweet.

I like Kubiak a lot and Rick Smith is going to do a hell of a job in the drafts we have and free agency....the Texans are going to be "kind of a big deal" in a few years.

8. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Better days are coming. Keep the Faith.

I hate to say this but I see us putting our parts together like Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys. Hopefully we get the same/better results.

GlassHalfFull likes this.

9. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

I'm a Texan...I'll take the good, and the bad.

Every game's an opportunity to start the next great winning streak...and I'm optimistic that their soon on their way.

:texflag:

Thorn likes this.
  10. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Good thread...we need some positive karma on this board. I'm optimistic with our team and the direction we're going. Unfortunately, I'm not a patient person but I will take this progress and hope that it translates into more wins, which I'm sure this team is capable of. We just need a few more pieces to the puzzle to be consistent and even though the Texans lost this past Sunday, they were competitive, which is something we've never seen in the first 5 years. That alone gives me the most optimism. :fans:

Thorn, drewmar74, PapaL and 1 other person like this.
  11. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I'm glad we're angry and feel like someone has peed in our cornflakes.

(yes, this is positive)

It means we have a GOOD team that gives us hope and is very capable of winning :) In the past, we were so bad we didn't care when we lost. we've come a long way, baby!

drewmar74, Thorn and PapaL like this.
  12. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Well I managed to positive rep everyone up to TA before I ran out. This is my kind of thread. :splits:

PapaL, drewmar74 and Thorn like this.
  13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

We are absolutly better and moving towards a dominating team. However, that is probably 2 years away with next year being a possible playoff team.:texflag:

PapaL likes this.
  14. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

NOT what TheRealJoker wants to hear.

Yankee_In_TX likes this.
  15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

When you think about how CC left the team , it's mind boggling that we're not a bottom 5 team .

PapaL likes this.
  16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

There are still a lot of games to play this season. Granted, every team we're going to play is going to be a tough game but if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we could still finish strong this year.

I really like the direction we're going in both on offense and on defense.

One thing that I saw on Sunday made me realize why we've been having problems in the red zone with Schaub. He's trying hard not to throw the types of interceptions he threw in the red zone in the first few games. With Sage, he was humming that ball into really, really tight spaces. And because of that, he was getting the TD's in the red zone but he was also more prone to getting picked off.

At least, that's what I saw. And as long as the past two games haven't shaken Schaub's confidence, we're going to be fine.

PapaL likes this.
  17. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    I agree. I predicted 7-9 this year due to some heartbreaking losses. I just hope that we've seen the end of the heartbreakers & we'll win a few games we don't deserve (like Tennessee last year). Course I want us to win a couple of blowouts, too. But we are definitely going in the right direction:texflag:

Buffi2 and PapaL like this.
  18. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

19-10, ********! :whip:

PapaL likes this.
  19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

No Mass please. If we get throught the rest of the season with a QB intack, I'm taking that as a moral victory. Fill two of the five on the above list with draft picks and hit another two via free agency...we'll be prety close. Let's just take the rest of them one game at a time. No more bloody predictions of glory untill they actually play worth a damn. Or they can win three in a row.

Well unless your planning to take a five pound sledge hammer to Flanagan, or unless Sherman changes his mind, your hope is going into a very leaky vessel. Maybe the Aggies will take Sherman off our hands this off season.

20. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I got ya covered from TexMexVato to brakos82.