Somebody explain why Schaub had 11 plays?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nighthawk, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

Here's a new QB who has never run this team, who is starting for the first time in his career, and we put him out there for 11 or 12 plays? Really, he needs at least twice that in three preseason games. It can't be they're afraid of him getting hurt, can it? If he's going down he can do it as easily in game 1 of the season as now.

Somebody explain this to me, please.

2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

The main priority for the first two preseason games is to evaluate your lower string guys.

The first string positions, with a couple of exceptions (#2 WR, C, OLB, FS, KR, P) are already set.

The first stringers get a couple of series (a) to let the fans see them and (b) to confirm to the coaches that the performance that they've been showing in practice transfers to a real game.

Now the reason that the first string got so few reps is because they went 3 & out the first time they had the ball. Convert 3rd those downs, they would have earned more reps.
    But 1st team only gets two series if the coaches are to have time to evaluate the 2nd & 3rd team guys. And even then, not all the 3rd/4th string guys saw action.

Look for more of the same next week.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

We have 48 million reasons for him to play sparingly in the preseason. He is cemented as the starter and thus isn't fighting for a job.

4. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Kubiak mentioned on 610 that the starters will be on a "play count" this week against the Cards, meaning he will make sure they're in for a certain number of plays. He said 30-35 plays.
    I took his statement to mean that they weren't going by play count against the Bears, but were going by clock time instead... not sure why they did that, though...

5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Maybe because they wanted to make sure that had however much time for everyone else. This week, they want to get so many plays in for the starters, even if it takes some away from everybody else. I'm surprised they're going to really get THAT many plays in week 2, though.

6. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

It's called a Standard Operating Procedure, SOP for short, for preseason games that every NFL team goes by.

Game 1 - you play your starters in the 1st quarter. It would be nonsensical, and downright stupid to leave your starting quarterback in after sending in the 2nd team OL, receivers, and RBs. The main purpose of the game is to evaluate what players can make the team

Game 2 - use a play count for the starters. If you get in 30 -35 plays in the first quarter, then you only play the 1st quarter.

Game 3 - prepare as if it's regular season game. Starters play 3 quarters. 4th quarter, send in the rest.

Game 4 - Starters play one or two series at the most, save them for the season opener, then play the rest to see who makes the final cut.

Until they either increase, or decrease the number of preseason games, it's the way it's always done.

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Will we use blitz packages at all against Dallas in game 3? That's what I wanna know.

8. Marcus

Blitz packages in a preseason game?

lol:

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Some teams have been known to do it (supposedly).

10. Marcus

Kubiak would deserve to be hung up by his thumbs if he gave the opening day opponent game film of his blitzing schemes.

Double Barrel likes this.
  11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Right on!! Not only not show blitz packages, don't show your d-lines stunts either... Keep it very vanilla.

12. Sideline

Sideline Hall of Fame

That seems a little different to usual. I wonder how much time he has planned for the guys next week? as its usually week three when the first teamers see the most snaps.

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I saw one stunt by Mario, and it was a wide stunt, against the Bears. I seem to recall it being his last play of the game.

He looked like he was a buffalo girl going waaay around the outside.

14. Marcus

And besides that . . . I'm not the least bit interested in winning any preseason games, I don't care if it's the Cowboys, or anyone else.

During preseason, what I AM interested in, is to see if that multimegabillion dollar defensive line can manage to generate pressure on the quarterback BY.THEM.SELVES.

I am NOT the least bit interested in pressure that has to be MANUFACTURED by a blitz. Until this basic hurdle is finally jumped over, this defense will continue to . . . SUCK!

I am so sick of people trashing the secondary, when they constantly are left hanging out to dry when they have to send the blitz because the front four can't get it done.

:rant:

15. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

I would not go as far to say suck! The last six games of the season last season once they began to gel they actually played well and were ranked as a top ten D during the final six games. Dont get me wrong there was still a definate lack of pass rush and still had coverage breakdowns but I would say suck is to harsh.

16. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

That's what Kubes said. Maybe he wished Schaub had 4-5 more reps, but they wanted to stick by their goal to evaluate our newer and/or younger talent.

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Is this dude serious?

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I used to think that you didn't blitz hardly at all in the first game. BUT...

The Bears were blitzing us and we weren't blitzing them until the middle of the 2nd quarter. I think the Bears were expecting us to blitz and were keeping more guys in to block but I'd need to go back and check that.

I was watching the Eagles/Ravens game and it was blitz, blitz, blitz.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

The Steelers blitzed the heck out of the Saints and that was the HOF game. The Saints were complaining afterwards about not expecting all the blitzing brought on by the Steelers.

So yes, several teams blitz during pre-season. Personally I don't care if we do or not. I just want our front 4 to deliver some pressure.:)

HJam72 likes this.
  20. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

All blitz-heavy teams, especially Philly & chicago. It's just differences in coach philosophy regarding what should be done for a 1st preseason game.