Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Some top 2008 prospects

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
yeah, why not? no particular order.

look at this as more as "top guys to look for." some of these players aren't top prospects now, but if they keep it up, they will be.

Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas - I said the same thing about Peterson, but McFadden is the best back to come out in a looong time. No joke. Better than Peterson.

Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky - Has the size and mobility to be the next big thing. Athlete with the mind of a passer. Put up big numbers in the SEC last year as a junior, needs to improve on it this year with all the world watching him.

Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (FL) - Could be the next big DE to come down the pipe. And I stress "big." 6'8 285. Needs to refine some things, but certainly looks to be an easy top 10 choice.

Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (FL) - While on the subject of Miami, let's move to the secondary and look at Kenny Phillips. He's got the talent. Could be better than Ed Reed and certainly looks to be better than Sean Taylor. I'd like to see him work on more than just instints though. Looks foolish at times

Jared Gaither, T, Maryland - Platooned at RT right now, but certainly has the skillset to make the move to LT and dominate.

Jake Long, T, Michigan - Some are calling him a once in a lifetime kinda guy. Uh, I don't see it. A big beast who lunges and has bad hips and gets easily outmanned in the passrushing game? Yeah, nothing thrilling to me. Just a prototypical RT. But if he can correct some of his flaws, look out.

Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii - He's in a pass-happy system, but his accuracy and TD/INT ratio is faaarrr better than any other QB in a similiar system has ever put up. Looks like he's not just "another system QB." He'll need to duplicate his success of his junior season to get drafted high, though. And that won't be very easy.

eh i don't feel like typing more. :devilpig:

Woodson looked great last year. best QB in the SEC right now. he'll need a bit more developing, but yeah i can see him being a top 3 prospect next year, why not? he has all the physical tools. hey, don't argue with me, i had jamarcus russell going top 10 before anyone else. ;)

and i left off brohm because that was way too obvious.

kastofsna, What do you think of Michael Oher T from Ole Miss? He's young and may come out in '09 but I'd love to know what some good minds think of him.

kastofsna, What do you think of Michael Oher T from Ole Miss? He's young and may come out in '09 but I'd love to know what some good minds think of him.
yeah everyone seems to love the kid. havent paid much attention to him myself save for a few highlights here and there. he'll have to really standout being at Ole Miss, that's for sure (no offense ;))

yeah everyone seems to love the kid. havent paid much attention to him myself save for a few highlights here and there. he'll have to really standout being at Ole Miss, that's for sure (no offense ;))

haha none taken at all.

There is a wonderful book about him called "The blindside: Evolution of a Game" by Michael Lewis if anybody enjoys sports reading. the vast majority is about oher and his story, from coming off the streets, being poor into a wealthy white christian family: and them basically helping him and being his family...its a really touching story.

Something that's really going to be talked about come draft day, so any of yall interested might get a head start.

If Slaton wasn't at West Virginia i think we'd be getting the Reggie Bush hype. But i think the kid will be a gamer myself.

I expect Limas Sweed's stock to rise as the year progresses.

Mario Manningham will proably go top 15 next year.

anyone wanna take a shot at an early mock draft, lol.... i might try later tonight... ill see what i can do

No way because there is always guys whoes stock rise and players who comeout and don't comeout that is a surprise.

My early Faves are:

Antoine Cason, CB , Arizona

Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Good list. Cason has a lot of hype riding into this year, but another CB to watch is Talib from Kansas.

This will be the year of the LB. I mean that in every way. OLB and ILB are both filled with talent. If we can't land a Phillips or a Talib or so, look to LB. Cushings, Rivers, Magula, Larinitus, Adi, the other LB from VT. That is only guys from 3 schools listed. THat is SCARY.

You know more about him than any of us. I haven't watched enough old Miss football to render an opinion. Very interesting story though. So many good RBs on the board, that should water the cost of them down. '08 draft should be a good year for Kubiak to wade in for one. Greenwood had a very good three games down the strech. I agree that a will or Sam LB would be nice. Greenwood is coming up soon for renewal IIRC. They don't make a push to resign him might be a clue as to what they are thinking.

Micheal Oher:

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/football/061123/f112306A.html
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blog...ation/entries/2006/09/26/football_and_th.html

My knee jerk reaction is he simular to Dexter Mannly. Since we don't have a two, and we won't know about Spencer untill October, I'll be definatly watching to catch an old miss football game.

I'll give some insite on the team round here in Florida State:

DRAFTABLE

Tony Carter CB Junior (RS), 5'9 170 lbs. He was tied for seventh on the team in scoring in 2006 with 20 points. Has a nack for stealing underneath routes and has good return ability to score after the pick. He took two back last year, one (82 yards) in the Emerald bowl against UCLA. Had an interception in the OT bowl game in 2005 against Penn State when he was a freshman.

Roger Williams FS Senior (RS), 6-0 200 lbs. 130 career tackles and 5 INTs. Had 67 tackles and 4 INTs last year. Smart experienced player.

Greg Carr WR Junior, 6-6 212 lbs. 1,237 yards 21 touchdowns and 19 yards per catch over the last two years.

Antone Smith RB Junior, 5'9 190. 456 rushing yards with a 5.2 YPC average and 5 touchdowns behind Lorenzo Booker. He also added 174 receiving yards last year. Look for a breakout season for this former #1 high school RB prospect.

UNDRAFTABLE

Myron Rolle SS Sophomore, 6-2 215 Probable the best player on the Florida State defense. Had 77 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 1 interception as a true freshman last year.

I watched part of the Rutgers game the other night and thier running back Ray Rice looked real good.

I watched part of the Rutgers game the other night and thier running back Ray Rice looked real good.

Rice is probally a second round pick and will have to prove a lot at the NFL level. It is unlikely he will be given the feature-back role for a while. He has serious questions about his size, both height and weight. However, the kid can burn. He is a good RB, but not likely to go in the first round.

Guy's I'm watching this weekend: Kenny Phillips, Felix Jones, Justin King, Aquib Tailb (I'll be watching him in person vs Central Michigan)

Add to my list of prospects who intrigue me: Javorski Lane RB/FB from aTm

He is 6'0 273. He is surprisingly nimble on his feet and shows great balance for any RB. He is a load. He is a strong runner as he should be. He has potential to be a Betis type runner, not saying he will be as good as Betis or even close, but physically he brings the same game as Betis. It will be interesting to see if he is moved between RB and FB to get him and Goodson on the field at the same time. He has also shown fairly good hands in the flats. He runs on his toes, and leans over at the waist, that coupled with his size and strength mean he gets positive yardage virtually every time he touches the ball.

Lane reminds me a he** of a lot of Bettis. As you said, he runs low, which combined with his bulk, could be lethal. If he does transition to FB and learn to lead block, he could be a devastating FB in the NFL.

Didn’t see him play, but DeJuan Tribble, Boston College, CB – 3 ints.

If you try to watch Justin King, you may not actually see a whole lot – QBs hardly threw his way last year, one reason why his stats aren’t impressive. Stanton threw about 60 passes last year, only three to King’s receiver. Instead of covering one side, the coaching staff sics him on the other team’s best receiver. Shut down Ginn and Meachem. He’s admitted he needs to improve in run support and did last year – put some good hits on some people. He’s on schedule to graduate in the fall, so sadly for us, it looks like his last year. He’s been a leader in the secondary. Probable 1st or 2nd round.

Another guy to keep an eye on if you can get the Big Ten Network is Jack Ikegwonu, Wisconsin, CB. Very fast and physical, playmaker. Equally good against the pass or run. He's a guy I think could be converted into a FS. Not sure he fits the Texans' character profile though.

QB
Brian Brohm - Louisville
Andre Woodson - Kentucky
Sleeper: Matt Ryan - Boston College
RB
Darren McFadden - Arkansas
Steve Slaton - West Virginia
Sleeper: Yvenson Bernard - Oregon State
WR
DeSean Jackson - Cal
Limas Sweed - Texas
Early Doucet - LSU
Sleeper: James Hardy - Indiana (only a Jr tho)
T
Jake Long - Michigan
Barry Richardson - Clemson
Sleeper: Tony Hills - Texas
DE
Calais Campbell - Miami
Quentin Groves - Auburn
Tommy Blake - TCU
Sleeper: Kenny Iwebema - Iowa
DT
Frank Okam - Texas
Glenn Dorsey - LSU
OLB
Shawn Crable - Michigan
Philip Wheeler - Georgia Tech
Keith Rivers - USC
Sleeper: Ali Highsmith - LSU
MLB
Dan Connor - Penn St
Vince Hall - Va Tech
Rey Maualuga - USC
Sleeper: Jasper Brinkley - South Carolina
CB
Antoine Cason - Arizona
DeJuan Tribble - Boston College
Simeon Castille - Alabama
Aqib Talib - Kansas
Chevis Jackson - LSU
Sleeper: Dwight Lowery - San Jose St
S
Kenny Phillips - Miami
Craig Steltz - LSU
Reggie Smith - Oklahoma

There's just a few guys to keep your eyes on this year.

Back