Some top 2008 prospects

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kastofsna, May 1, 2007.

1. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah, why not? no particular order.

look at this as more as "top guys to look for." some of these players aren't top prospects now, but if they keep it up, they will be.

Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas - I said the same thing about Peterson, but McFadden is the best back to come out in a looong time. No joke. Better than Peterson.

Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky - Has the size and mobility to be the next big thing. Athlete with the mind of a passer. Put up big numbers in the SEC last year as a junior, needs to improve on it this year with all the world watching him.

Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (FL) - Could be the next big DE to come down the pipe. And I stress "big." 6'8 285. Needs to refine some things, but certainly looks to be an easy top 10 choice.

Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (FL) - While on the subject of Miami, let's move to the secondary and look at Kenny Phillips. He's got the talent. Could be better than Ed Reed and certainly looks to be better than Sean Taylor. I'd like to see him work on more than just instints though. Looks foolish at times

Jared Gaither, T, Maryland - Platooned at RT right now, but certainly has the skillset to make the move to LT and dominate.

Jake Long, T, Michigan - Some are calling him a once in a lifetime kinda guy. Uh, I don't see it. A big beast who lunges and has bad hips and gets easily outmanned in the passrushing game? Yeah, nothing thrilling to me. Just a prototypical RT. But if he can correct some of his flaws, look out.

Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii - He's in a pass-happy system, but his accuracy and TD/INT ratio is faaarrr better than any other QB in a similiar system has ever put up. Looks like he's not just "another system QB." He'll need to duplicate his success of his junior season to get drafted high, though. And that won't be very easy.

eh i don't feel like typing more. :devilpig:

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

I want Kenny Phillips...

3. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

You honestly think Woodson is a good NFL prospect at QB?...

4. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

I know you couldn't put everybody, but how can leave off the QB Brohm from Louisville.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

Woodson looked great last year. best QB in the SEC right now. he'll need a bit more developing, but yeah i can see him being a top 3 prospect next year, why not? he has all the physical tools. hey, don't argue with me, i had jamarcus russell going top 10 before anyone else. ;)

and i left off brohm because that was way too obvious.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

kastofsna, What do you think of Michael Oher T from Ole Miss? He's young and may come out in '09 but I'd love to know what some good minds think of him.

7. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Where is Brian Brohm? And maybe Limas Sweed.

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah everyone seems to love the kid. havent paid much attention to him myself save for a few highlights here and there. he'll have to really standout being at Ole Miss, that's for sure (no offense ;))

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

haha none taken at all.

There is a wonderful book about him called "The blindside: Evolution of a Game" by Michael Lewis if anybody enjoys sports reading. the vast majority is about oher and his story, from coming off the streets, being poor into a wealthy white christian family: and them basically helping him and being his family...its a really touching story.

Something that's really going to be talked about come draft day, so any of yall interested might get a head start.

10. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

If Slaton wasn't at West Virginia i think we'd be getting the Reggie Bush hype. But i think the kid will be a gamer myself.

I expect Limas Sweed's stock to rise as the year progresses.

Mario Manningham will proably go top 15 next year.

11. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

My early Faves are:

Antoine Cason, CB , Arizona

Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I definately like Slaton and McFadden. Slaton needs to bulk up a little bit though.

13. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

anyone wanna take a shot at an early mock draft, lol.... i might try later tonight... ill see what i can do

14. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

No way because there is always guys whoes stock rise and players who comeout and don't comeout that is a surprise.

15. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Sam Baker OT

Jamaal Charles RB

Zach Bowman CB

16. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

OK I see that, but in that case I would have left off McFadden as well (he is pretty obvious also).

17. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I wouldn't even look at the last 2 with our pick, regardless if we win the superbowl or not. Sam Baker is an interesting talent, but I still woulnd't draft him early.

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Good list. Cason has a lot of hype riding into this year, but another CB to watch is Talib from Kansas.

This will be the year of the LB. I mean that in every way. OLB and ILB are both filled with talent. If we can't land a Phillips or a Talib or so, look to LB. Cushings, Rivers, Magula, Larinitus, Adi, the other LB from VT. That is only guys from 3 schools listed. THat is SCARY.

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

You know more about him than any of us. I haven't watched enough old Miss football to render an opinion. Very interesting story though. So many good RBs on the board, that should water the cost of them down. '08 draft should be a good year for Kubiak to wade in for one. Greenwood had a very good three games down the strech. I agree that a will or Sam LB would be nice. Greenwood is coming up soon for renewal IIRC. They don't make a push to resign him might be a clue as to what they are thinking.

Micheal Oher:

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/football/061123/f112306A.html
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blog...ation/entries/2006/09/26/football_and_th.html

My knee jerk reaction is he simular to Dexter Mannly. Since we don't have a two, and we won't know about Spencer untill October, I'll be definatly watching to catch an old miss football game.

20. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Do you mean he doesn't know how to read or that he has a serious cocaine problem?