Some pessimistic forecasting - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by eriadoc, Sep 18, 2006.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

OK, take into account Carr's play throughout two games so far. He's been inconsistent, he's had tough breaks, he's made bonehead plays, and he's shown some progress as well.

Our defense has performed horribly, no two ways about it. They've given up big plays at all points on the field and at any given point in the game. Our running game has been largely non-existent.

If Carr continues to play as he's played so far, and our running game and defense continues to play like they've played so far, and we finish with the worst record in the NFL, do you want to draft RB, QB, or defense, assuming a #1-worthy pick of each is available?

2. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

If Carr keeps playing the same, as well as the rest of team, for the next two home games, they need to trade Carr and get value before the end of the season.

This appears to be many years in the making and I don't see how he can hang in there that long for winning season for the Texans.

3. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

If the team looks exactly as it has these last two games for the rest of the year I would draft Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin. Then move Spencer inside to Guard. Hopefully by then E. Winston would be our starting RT.

In the second round I would get a FS, or CB depending on BPA.

I feel that right now Carr is playing well enough to keep trying with him. Gato has show flashes that he can get it done on the ground. I may not be doing what people want, but I feel we need to work on the line.

4. real

real Guest

I don't know when the trade deadline is but I seriously doubt he gets traded before that time...

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yeah, a trade's not happening, so leave that scenario out. If Carr gets traded by week six (trade deadline, IIRC), then I'll happily eat crow. For now, I'm not looking up recipes.

6. real

real Guest

If We end up with a top three pick I only see three options...Draft Calvin Johnson, Draft Peterson, Trade down...I would really like Johnson...I think he is a freak of nature....I also like trading down..and I'm not really sold on Peterson being the best back in next years draft...

7. Xman

Xman Veteran

You take the best player. But, being equal, I would take QB, CB, RB, DE, OT, LB in order (franchise qbs/cbs are too valuable to pass up, a top 3 DE/OT/LB usually is a pillar also - for a RB to be worth this high a pick he has to be a Faulk/Dickerson type, which Peterson is and Bush was).

At this point, it appears this draft does not have a top CB (see GBN projection below). Which sucks for us a top CB would fill our biggest hole and make our entire defense look much better.

Adrian Peterson is worth the pick and would fill a huge need.
    QB would work also. I have not given up on Carr, but if there is a potentially great QB there, then take him (you don't pass up on an Elway/Manning because you have Carr/Delhomme - - even if it is to pick Lawrence Taylor).
    WR, which isn't a need, is strong in this draft. Maybe too strong to pass on.

Team Player
    POS
    School

1 Oakland (1)
    Brady Quinn
    QB
    Notre Dame

2 San Francisco
    *Calvin Johnson WR
    Georgia Tech

3 Houston (1)
    *Adrien Peterson
    RB
    Oklahoma

4 New Orleans *Ted Ginn
    WR
    Ohio State

5 Buffalo Joe Thomas
    OT
    Wisconsin

Green Bay
    *Marshawn Lynch
    RB
    California

Tennessee
    Paul Poluzsny
    LB
    Penn State

8 Detroit
    Quentin Moses
    DE
    Georgia

9 New York Jets
    *Sydney Rice
    WR
    South Carolina

10 St. Louis
    Justin Blalock
    OT
    Texas

Minnesota
    Brandon Meriweather
    FS Miami
    Cleveland
    Quinn Pitcock DT
    Ohio State
    13 Washington
    *Frank Okam
    DT
    Texas

14 Arizona
    *Jake Long
    OT
    Michigan

15 San Diego
    *Dwayne Jarrett
    WR
    Southern California

16 Kansas City
    *Alan Branch
    DT
    Michigan

17 Tampa Bay
    Doug Free
    OT
    Northern Illinois

Baltimore
    Levi Brown
    OT
    Penn State

19 Jacksonville
    *Antoine Cason
    CB
    Arizona

Dallas
    *Sam Baker
    OT
    Southern California

Chicago
    *Greg Olsen
    TE
    Miami

22 Miami
    *Lawrence Jackson
    DE
    Southern California

23 Atlanta
    Michael Griffin
    FS
    Texas

Cincinnati
    *Zach Miller
    TE
    Arizona State

Philadelphia
    H.B. Blades
    LB
    Pittsburgh

26 New England
    Jeff Samardjiza
    WR
    Notre Dame

27 New York Giants
    Brandon Mebane DT
    California
    28 Pittsburgh
    Adam Carriker
    DE
    Nebraska

Seattle
    *Darrelle Revis
    CB
    Pittsburgh

30 Denver
    Gaines Adams
    DE
    Clemson

Indianapolis
    Patrick Willis
    LB
    Mississippi

32 Carolina Clark Harris
    TE
    Rutgers

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'd like to see more picks like Ryans who didn't impress people when he was in shorts but nobody questions his football ability. We have taken workout warrior after workout warrior (or "ideal measurables guy") in our short history and it has proven to produce a bad team. Ideal measurables and great 3-cone drill stats are great and all...if you run a gymnastics team.

9. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

No way we finish with the worst record. That will belong to the Raiders

10. real

real Guest

The Raiders have played two tough teams also...Ravens, and Chargers...

They haven't looked good but it's only the second game...

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Here's what I think happens if no progress appears (and I don't consider that likely).

Our defensive line doesn't get a thing. We have youth, strength, speed, and experience there. If our defensive line coach can't get a pass rush out of Babin, Peek, Weaver, Payne, Johnson, and Williams by next season then he needs to go because he's doing something wrong.

In free agency we find either a veteran CB or FS and get some leadership back there with all those kids. This becomes our big signing of 2007 much like Moulds was for last year. This guy (especially if it's a CB) will do for Robertson what Eric Moulds is doing for AJ. He'll settle him down and take some of the attention off of him. He'll help "grow him up" some. Mostly he'll keep him from becoming frustrated. Dunta needed Glenn badly last year. He still needs someone like that on the other side.

I say the Texans get a veteran as opposed to using a draft pick because it's not just a case of Sanders/Buchanon/Faggins aren't good enough. They're also not experienced enough. Nobody back there has led, even by example since Glenn and Coleman went out the door. They need somebody back there who's "seen the elephant". If it's a CB then it will be CB (and I expect it to be one), if it's a FS then it will be a FS. Whichever position has the guy they want that's what they'll pursue. The one that's left over will be drafted and I think that's most likely to happen in the 2nd round.

We may not actually end up needing a RB. By the time next season gets here we may already be set with Gado or maybe some combination of Dayne/Gado will be able to buy us another season before we have to really focus on RB.

I don't think we'd even consider drafting a QB unless Carr just completely craters this season. Even then I think Kubiak would trade for one or sign a FA QB before he'd spend the pick. there's just too much to fix and if Carr is really truly broken for good then it's not like we're going to be winning anytime soon. One season being led by 2007's version of Jon Kitna won't matter much in the long run.

Personally I think we go into the draft looking for a LB and a FS with picks one and two.

12. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

The worst case scenario is 0-16. We'll get the #1 pick agai....aw, hell no.

13. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

I still think David Carr isn't the real problem. He's done a lot of good, considering that he has zero time to throw and gets blindsided every other play due to o-line ineptitude.

And guess what? If we draft another QB before we fix the o-line, we're just going to screw up the next guy's confidence and mechanics, too. And that won't help us in the least.

As for who to draft next year, I'll say the same thing I said earlier this year. When you're at the top of the draft, you grab the best player available, you don't fill a need. If you don't want to take the BPA, you trade down. BPA or trade down. You do not overdraft a need player with the top pick, ever. Stupid stupid stupid.

14. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

That sounds well and good (and in many cases works fine... Ryans was the best player on the best defense), but that causes you to pass up guys like Julius Peppers and Peyton Manning. Hell, it would have caused you to pass up Reggie Bush.

But, whatever it is we have been doing isn't working, so I guess somehow we've got to separate the Ryans from the Wands.

15. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

.........:rofl:

:coffee:

16. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Peppers fits to a certain extent, but I don't get the references to Manning or Bush. Sure, they had good/great workout numbers, but they earned their draft slot by proving it on the field, quite the opposite of a true workout warrior, which is what Vinny is (I think) correctly pointing to.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I just think we value size and speed and "ideal measurables" too heavily when we evaluate players. For instance I think that Carr has ideal measurables and can make any pass but I think his football instincts are rotten. We passed Deion Branch for Gaffney because Gaff measured better...not because he was more instinctive. I could go on and on.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

that is exactly Casserlys IMO. hopefully Smith will be different :cool:

19. WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear Veteran

Is impossible to speculate to much on picks at this point cause there is no way to know who will develop throughout the year! Thats the thing I like about the way Kubiak coaches with accountability, even in games where you are losing people are learning and making strides. Who knows with more experience what our D line and secondary will become. Maybe nothing but who knows! It would be nice to have another Stud LB to put along side Ryans, he has such a fast motor it would be great to see a pair flying around taking away the short pass and laying hits on the backs that make it through the line.

20. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Manning couldn't beat Tennessee, and Bush wasn't even allowed on the field for the game deciding play (in addition to all the off the field stuff). I'm just saying that it's easier said than done.

I am a big believer in the concept. you could give me a team full of Terrell Buckleys and Demeco Ryans. I'm glad we went for Dunta Robinson instead of Pac-man Jones. I'm very happy that Detroit was more impressed with Charlie Rogers than Andre Johnson.

If you watched them in college, I'd certainly defer to you, but Gaffney put up modestly better numbers against significantly better competition.