Some off record comments from Gaffney about Carr

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sportsfan, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

I met a guy yesterday at a friend of mine's birthday bash who use to live next to Gaffney. Anyway Gaffney moved a while back but they ran into each other in a mall right after the Texan's season and spoke briefly about the season.

Some points he made about Carr were:
    - the coaches had a noose around his neck, but when they let him play his game, Carr is unstoppable he feels.
    -Carr is an awesome leader and the team rallies around him and really respects him
    -Carr is a true gamer, studies loads of film, lives and breathes football, but he feels he was held back or resticted by the Texans' philosophies. He feels Carr has enough game to set the tone of a game ala P. Manning if he is given the freedom.

Some things about himself and the Texans he said:
    - He looks forward to next season b/c the team really respects McNair and knows he do whatever it takes to build a championship team
    - He didn't really comment on the #1 pick except for something like 'as long as they help us win'

Pretting interesting stuff coming straight from a players mouth, off the record.
    Just thought i'd share.
    Cheers

Runner likes this.
  2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Thanks for sharing. Funny how many of the Carr supporters dog Gaffney and many of the Carr bashers like Gaff. I hope they both show us something next year if they are back in a Texans uniform.

3. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

before people come in here and dog the credibility of these comments.

Just wanna say I hope that this is all true and that Gaffney really feels that way. Cause I would like to see Carr succeed here, and I want to see Gaffney return next season, and I want to see the coaching staff give our offense alot more freedom.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

That is interesting.

I've heard specifically that one of the other receivers thinks we should trade down and build the trenches. Regardless if trade down is the right thing to do, this leads me to believe that he thinks there are bigger problems than Carr.

5. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

For the people who do want to 'dog' the credibility of those comments, spare us. We get it, ok?

6. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

yeah i expect a few of those. Its not like i sit around and conjure up BS to post on message boards. I rarerly start threads on here unless its of value, i'm more of a spectator that just laughs and shakes my head at all the BS posted on here.

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

My uncle used to live next door to McKinney's brother's ex-wife and he said she said he said that the whole problem is that AJ and D-Rob suck. :)

No really, I hope you're right and I'm both a Carr and Gaffney supporter, although I wouldn't make him #2, except in a pinch.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Interesting comments, I hope they are all true.
    Isn't Gaff an unrestricted FA this year ? If the Texans ultimately decide to go
    with Reggie, this probably wouldn't bode well for Gaff's job security since he gets plays in the slot and Reggie may get some snaps from that positon.

9. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

mckinney lives 2 streets from me ..but i don't think i have the stones to just walk up and ask him...he has field turf under his playground

10. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Yeah, in a Conroe Texans semi-pro league uniform.

11. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

speak of the devil

12. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

So, does that make you a "PERSONAL ATHLETIC SUPPORTER"? (AKA...a jock strap) :) :rolleyes:

13. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

shrugs...my only complaint with that is that gaffney is a stinkin gator...what does he know?

14. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

Thanks for sharing.

15. I am guilty of dogging Gaffney, I just never thought he was a #2 reciever. I will however give everyone, including Pitts a new clean slate to build upon with the new coaching staff. It's wierd that I am looking forward to this next season, depending how the offseason goes. I could tell from our offseason moves last year that were not going to be very good. We probably won't be good this next year, but at least we will start with a new base.

16. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Ha...that's funny. I hope it's true. I know I've dogged Gaffney before. But I think that's just because of the way the season went.

17. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

The thing is.. I think alot of the Gaffney hate is that he isnt a superstar.. he is merely a contributor.. but he is a contributor in a bad offense, so he looks bad by association.

he doesnt have Johnsons incredible measurables.. or Mathis' amazing speed.. he is merely a solid football player..comparable to Reggie Wayne, Randel-El, and other such "good but not great" football players.

We arent going to make a superbowl on Gaffney's shoulders.. but his ability to play ball is undeniable in my mind..and in a good offense I see him playing a key role in our success.

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yeah, what he said. :redtowel:

19. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yet another talent misused by the Texans jack off coaching staff. He is always gonna be that slot #3 wide out who catches 4-5 balls a game. As said above not a "play maker" but an important, sure handed slot. Alot of over the middle and could burn a LB with a proper mismatch.

20. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I'll second that motion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.