Some Interesting Speculation

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by DenverBorn, Mar 15, 2006.

1. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

http://www.gbnreport.com/

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

This is would be the scenario that makes sense for us and glad to hear that it is being talked about outside of this MB as well.

3. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

That's interesting. If the club goes that route they may actually have a very impressive front seven overnight with Babin and Peek going back to the lineback core.

4. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Mario or DBrick are the right thing to do, but from a PR standpoint it will be hard not to pick Bush.

5. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I've heard a lot about Mario, but unfortunately haven't seen him play. Are there any highlight reels out there? Anyone have a link? thanks

6. exclude

exclude Veteran

I must admit this would make me cry, if this were to happen but I have seen Mario Williams play and there are hints of Richard Dent in his play, a quite ferocity. This would be the only reason I would trade the pick.

7. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Mario would be awesome, and Weaver would move to one gap DT, meaning the end of Payne since it would save us around 700K to get rid of him anyway. That would give us a front seven of PeekWDE, Weaver 1gap, TJ/Robaire 2gap, Williams SDE. Greenwood WOLB, Wong/Evans/Rookie MLB, Orr SOLB. Man that is some pressure and off the edges and some penetration through the middle. All of those guys are solid against the run and we would have a group of chase down tacklers on the outside, plus could you imagine the right side with Williams and Orr coming after the QB his only recourse is to run to Peek's side or step up into Weaver or TJ damn that sounds like a pass rush to me.

8. Toxicology

Toxicology Rookie

I have too many questions about Bush to support his selection. Pick up Mario at #1 or trade down to get him. He and weaver would be a needed "extreme makeover" of the defense.

9. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

With the signing of Brees to NO and Culpepper to MIA, what I thought the Texans best trade scenario was (HOU with NYJ, swap 1st round picks and a 2nd this year from NYJ) is pretty much gone. NYJ have nothing to worry about now, they got Leinart. NO is probably going to pick up M. Williams (blast! [although I heard they might trade down]), TENN is getting VY, and then Leinart is going to get picked up by NYJ. Looks like the Texans are stuck with Bush, unless the FO gets some cahones, and they draft M. Williams, which is the most sensible pick-up to me.

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

This scenerio has about as much chance of happening as me appearing on the next American Idol singing Danny Boy. I really love how all the sudden we are "stuck" with Bush. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at such nonsense, but I know I will have a smile a mile wide when we select Reggie Bush with the first pick. Anything else is mere internet speculation, and it ain't happening folks. :ok:

11. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

This does make a little sense. New D-Cood along with a new HC that is offensive minded. If I was the HC, I'd fortify the D as much as possible as to not have to worry about it as much while I tinkered w/the offense.

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I'm not aware of any but I'm sure there are some, but he did have 14.5 sacks and something like 26 tackles for loss this year while being double teamed a lot and freeing up Manny Lawson as well. He had two games this year with 4 sacks (Southern Miss and Maryland), not the top competition but two games with four sacks in one season is impressive. Other than that, he is 6'7", 295 lbs., ran a top 40 time of 4.66 (Julius Peppers ran a 4.68 at his pro day), benched 35 reps on 225, and had a 40 inch vertical jump. He's bigger than Peppers by 12 lbs., was just as fast, and a lot stronger. I doubt he lasts to #4 now with the Saints getting a QB, unless they trade down with someone looking for a QB.

13. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Well, the reason I say "stuck" is because I think that the Texans already have a solid stable of RBs, especially if they resign Wells. I don't think Bush is a need, but more so a he's so good, you have to take him. It's just my opinion.

14. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

And not to say that Bush isn't a great player, or not going to be a great player, but I feel the Texans have more pressing needs than a versatile RB. I would take a DE to creat major chaos than Bush...JM:twocents:

15. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I wouldn't call two backs a stable. So in a system that uses two backs on a regular basis you only have one backup. I would think you need another RB.

16. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

I meant if Wells was resigned.

17. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

It looks like the trade down scenario would drop to Oakland at number seven. It would be nice to stick Oakland in their desperation to get a QB, but I'm not sure what would be left to us at that point. I suppose if they gave us their second and third rounder it would be well worth it to fill some holes, but the gamble would be whether the collection of Reggie Bush, Mario Williams, Dbrick, or AJ Hawk would be available at that time. If we made that trade this is what I would see happening:

Oakland: Leinert
    New Orleans: Williams
    Tennessee: Young
    NY Jets: Cutler
    Green Bay: AJ Hawk or Dbrick
    San Francisco: Reggie Bush

The only one there I'm not sure about is Cutler, if the Jets take Dbrick or Hawk with that pick we could end up getting shut out. Of course, we could trade out of the number seven pick and add another third rounder or so. I realize this scenario puts us without a marqee player but it would also give us Hawk, Dbrick, or Bush at best and two second rounders and four third rounders at worst (including the first rounder of whatever team wants Cutler).

18. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

We need someone who can put points on the board from anywhere on the field. We have one player now who can do that, but without a companion, teams can easily take him away, and we are left with a boring one dimensial offense. Bush will change that in dramtic fashion. It's not about what you need, it's about not passing on a game changing player. I love Mario too, but Bush will do more for this offense and team. He not only helps the offense, but the defense, the oline, QB, and other WR's, and Mario, while an impact player for sure, just won't have that kind of team wide impact. Passing on Bush would be a MAJOR mistake of epic proportions imo.

19. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

With the contract that we just gave Weaver, I can't see us taking Mario at #1.

Casserly has also recently said that when upgrading a team's personnel, you fill holes through free agency and take the best available player at your pick. Weaver filled a major hole for us. He is good against the run (which we couldn't stop last year) and has potential to be good against the pass in the 4-3 system. Bush is clearly the BPA at #1 so we will pick him.

20. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Where is I agree with you, at the same time, I disagree, because where it would be awesome to have Bush score from anywhere on the field, the Texans also have to be able to stop other teams from scoring anywhere from the field. D wins championships. JM:twocents: