Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Double Barrel, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

:worm:

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Good for Blaine Gabbert, I'm sure he'll get a lot of support.

gwallaia and Vinny like this.
  3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

It will be a very, very long time before a homosexual comes out in the NFL. JMO and I certainly would never say never, but it's gonna be a long time before it happens.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

If you say so. A bunch of NFL players (including the immediate past president of the players' association) have made public statements or signed off on briefs supporting the gay marriage cases which will be heard by the S.Ct. this week. Some of them went so far as to have their own brief written in support.

5. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/25/report-gay-player-strongly-considering-coming-out/

6. Rey

Rey Guest

Yeah, I don't think it's the players as much as the outside influences. I played with guys I suspected were gay..later on after they were done playing the came out...

I didn't feel icky because my locker was stationed next to a gay guy...

7. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

My money is on Tom Brady, his Justin Bieber haircut along with his head band.

Not that there is anything wrong with it. Being gay that is. There is plenty wrong with the Justin bieber haircut and headband that goes along with it. Plenty wrong.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

8. Blake

Blake MMQB

So are unecessary roughness hits on a openly gay NFL player 15 yards, or a hate crime?

Señor Stan likes this.

9. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Sorry, but I'm just not all that interested in hearing about who likes boys.

10. infantrycak

Really not a question of your interest level. It's about how they have to live their lives in secrecy.

handswarmer likes this.
  11. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

This is a tough one. There are a lot of homophobic people out there, and I'm pretty sure that football has more than it's fair share of fans that fall into this category.

Personally, I couldn't care less what someone's sexual orientation is. It's not my business and who am I to tell them that they're wrong? I have noticed that TV shows have incorporated more gay characters into their shows, so people are not as shocked as they used to be. Having said that, there are people out there who won't watch those shows because of that very reason and this anonymous player's concerns about fans boycotting him or his team are very valid.

I think it really boils down to whether or not the player needs to feel validated for being openly gay. There will be backlash to some degree, the severity will just depend on the market that the player plays in. We all know that some places are more acceptable than others.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

The severity will also depend on who the player is. I think there would be a much different reaction if Calvin Johnson or Tom Brady came out as gay as opposed to the Vikings backup left guard or the Browns long snapper.

13. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Are you gay? Do you wish you could be a polygamist? Do you worship satan? Cha...I don't CARE if you're a good football player and not hurting anyone or breaking any laws. Some said Earnest Givens was. I don't know if he was or not but it doesn't change my opinion of the fact that he remains my favorite Oiler receiver. Some say Jacoby Jones is. My utter disrespect for Jones wouldn't be altered one bit if he was or wasn't.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Personally, It doesn't bother me either way. Do I believe in same sex relationships? Not really, but I've never been one to demean other peoples beliefs.

That said, I do think they'd be harassed more so by the media and fans than actual teammates

15. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/ayanbadejo-speaks-at-ally-on-steps-of-supreme-court/

Ayanbadejo speaks at rally on steps of Supreme Court

On Tuesday, the United State Supreme Court took up the question of whether California’s ban on same-sex marriage violates the Constitution.

Outside, Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo spoke at a rally supporting same-sex marriage.

“First and foremost, I have to say I’m not here as a Baltimore Raven,” Ayanbadejo said, via Erik Brady of USA Today. “I’m actually here as a patriot - as a patriot to uphold the Constitution of the United States. . . .

16. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Meh, I wouldn't care if a player is openly gay but it could cause trouble in a locker room. I don't think it's right that a person feels that they cannot be who they want to be, but it's their colleagues that do that to them, not the fans really.

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Especially if there are hard-core religious types in the locker room. I can just see the media not just bugging the heck out of the gay dude but asking pointed questions of the guys whose faith is strictly opposed to gay tolerance in any form.

Yeah, the mess will come mainly from the media just to keep some crap stirred up. And keep the phone lines filled and their web-sites jumping.

18. infantrycak

I agree with what Obsi is saying about the fact that the media would try to stir things up. I think the actual workplace stuff is overblown. I have worked in several offices in Houston with openly gay people (including having supervised a few) and other than an initial titillation of "did you hear he or she is gay" it was done. No harassment, essentially no comments behind their backs, they weren't shunned from private parties nor while at business events like the Christmas Party when they brought their partner.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Football players can be just as capable of being intolerant hypocritical d-bags as anyone else in this country, so yeah, I can see how it could be a problem for some.

But I think drunk morons in the stands are the ones that will really make it difficult for him. Every city has them, and as long as they are paying customers, NFL teams will continue to have low standards in order to take their money.

Free country and all that jazz, but I would not blame him at all for staying in the closet while being an active player in the NFL.

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

There's few if any demographics in this country that expresses its machismo beliefs with more bravado on the one hand and on the other maintains a more enduring belief in its Christian faith than young, male African-Americans who also happen to dominate in the NFL both on its playing fields and in its locker rooms. And lots and lots of things are gonna have to change before the intimacy of those locker rooms is extended to a gay member.