Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

BigBull

Rookie
What's the chance that Mallett starts game one? I think OB is going to shock a few and have Mallet playing sooner rather than later. Whether that's game 1, 2, or 3 I don't know.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
What's the chance that Mallett starts game one? I think OB is going to shock a few and have Mallet playing sooner rather than later. Whether that's game 1, 2, or 3 I don't know.
I think it depends entirely on how much the verbiage has changed in the three years since OB was in NE. A lot of these schemes keep the verbiage essentially the same from year to year with just a few minor tweaks here and there.

If the verbiage is the same, I'm not going to be surprised if Mallett starts game one. I know I'm in the minority on that but I think Mallett is a better QB than Fitzpatrick and I think he already knows this system.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
My point exactly. We're kinda screwed this year as it is without that.
I would not put it past O'brien to start Mallett early. I personally dont see all the hype about the kid, BUT O'brien has had his eye on him since he became the Texans coach. And i seriously doubt he brought him here to be a back up.

Although there is a slim chance he starts week 1 at this point nothing would surprise me.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would not put it past O'brien to start Mallett early. I personally dont see all the hype about the kid, BUT O'brien has had his eye on him since he became the Texans coach. And i seriously doubt he brought him here to be a back up.

Although there is a slim chance he starts week 1 at this point nothing would surprise me.
I think the media had it's eye on OB wanting Mallet moreso than OB actually having his eye on Mallet since he got the gig.

I think OB gave CK an honest shot at making the team but CK just doesn't fit in well with the system. OB knows what Mallet brings to the table and it's more than what CK brings. Add a bargain basement price, and it becomes a good fit for the team.

Mallet must be a very good team mate, though. He doesn't appear to be the brightest crayon in the box.

Sigma

Veteran

well, if he does know the playbook better than fitz why shouldn't he start on day 1?

Fitz was supposed to start games untill savage was ready for the big stage (I think) but Mallett had plenty of time to study and should be ready right now.

If Fitz still had the edge over Mallett than I don't really see why BO'B would have traded for him...

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
well, if he does know the playbook better than fitz why shouldn't he start on day 1?

Fitz was supposed to start games untill savage was ready for the big stage (I think) but Mallett had plenty of time to study and should be ready right now.

If Fitz still had the edge over Mallett than I don't really see why BO'B would have traded for him...
I kind of agree with you. But do we really know if what we are running is actually the same offense the Pats run? I don't think we do. It may be similar, but I doubt it is exactly the same.

I do not think they traded for him to be a backup for one season. Mallett will start within the first 4 games. If not, this makes no sense to me.

sandman

Brexit Advisor

To put on my tinfoil hat, maybe he wanted to be rid of Case and the link to the past regime, but knew that he couldn't roll with a rookie backup. At least with Mallett he can say that he has coached him before and has spent three seasons learning from Brady. These are all reasons that a fanbase will readily accept.

Ryan

THIS YEAR
The advantage i like in Mallett over Fitz is his ability to throw the ball deep. Everyone knows Fitz won't throw it deep or can't do it very well, and that will hinder our run game and a lot of other things.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
The advantage i like in Mallett over Fitz is his ability to throw the ball deep. Everyone knows Fitz won't throw it deep or can't do it very well, and that will hinder our run game and a lot of other things.
I thought you were going to say his first name is the reason you like Mallet :kitten:

Sigma

Veteran
To put on my tinfoil hat, maybe he wanted to be rid of Case and the link to the past regime, but knew that he couldn't roll with a rookie backup. At least with Mallett he can say that he has coached him before and has spent three seasons learning from Brady. These are all reasons that a fanbase will readily accept.
plus iirc Ryan Mallett is from texas, right?

speedfreek

All Pro
Unless the o-line improves, the receivers aren't going to be open deep.
No time to get down field..

I expect a lot more quick release throws like what we saw against
AZ and SF