Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

So Who Will Really End Up Paying for Super Bowl NRG improvements?

Blue Crew.......... and ALL other longtime season ticket holders with parking lot passes.

* I make this statement without honestly having a chance to read the article *, so that may be unfair.

We know who will ultimately pay for the upgrades. The same folks that usually get stuck with such bills: the consumers.

You cannot honestly expect a multi-billionaire that makes millions in annual profits to pay for it...

We know who will ultimately pay for the upgrades. The same folks that usually get stuck with such bills: the consumers.

You cannot honestly expect a multi-billionaire that makes millions in annual profits to pay for it...

Yes my friend.... Yes.

Sad but TRUE!!

People are beginning to catch on to what's most important to the McNair's.

It certainly hasn't been the on the field product.

People are beginning to catch on to what's most important to the McNair's.

It certainly hasn't been the on the field product.

I see what you're inferring, but seriously the McNair's interest in money IS ABOUT winning. I think their inexperience has been the issue. They don't know how to win. I think McNair's trust in Smithiak was or in Rick Smith's case is most def detrimental.

I think McNair is smart enough to know that "winning" generates more money. He's just inexperienced on how to get there.

I think it's ludicrous to think that Bob and Cal McNair sit back and think, :hmmm: we're the 4th, 5th or 6th most valued franchise NFL team AND NOT try to improve the team to even further the value with a chance at a Championship.

Championships = equal MORE MONEY!

The Texans are NOT the Atlanta Falcons.

I see what you're inferring, but seriously the McNair's interest in money IS ABOUT winning. I think their inexperience has been the issue. They don't know how to win. I think McNair's trust in Smithiak was or in Rick Smith's case is most def detrimental.

I think McNair is smart enough to know that "winning" generates more money. He's just inexperienced on how to get there.

I think it's ludicrous to think that Bob and Cal McNair sit back and think, :hmmm: we're the 4th, 5th or 6th most valued franchise NFL team AND NOT try to improve the team to even further the value with a chance at a Championship.

Championships = equal MORE MONEY!

The Texans are NOT the Atlanta Falcons.

Then why isn't he willing to pay for the upgrades. Answer = Because he doesn't have too. Same with tearing down the Astrodome, he and the HLS&R would rather let it rot and have the taxpayers pay for tearing it down, rather than have an outside company make improvements and keep a cherished landmark if they cant make money off of the improvements. I understand where the McNair's are coming from and don't disagree with there business view of the situation. Thank god for Ed Emmitt.

As far as the on the field product goes I think they would like to win but like everything else winning comes 2nd to the profit margin so I guess we will have to continue to agree to disagree. (Example Rick Smith still having a job.)

Going to the McNair's are to dumb to put a consistent winner on the field makes me LOL. I give a man who put basically 100 mil of his own $$$$ up and turned the franchise into the 6th/7th most valuable franchise in the world a lot more credit than that.

BTW, where I came up with that number is. 300 mil over 30 yrs from Reliant. 200 mil from the HLS&R and the taxpayers. 100 mil from the minority owners. It's a pretty good gig if you've got a spare 100 mil sitting around. Point is the least you can do is try your best to put a winner on the field with that kind of sweetheart deal.

Oh, yes the Texans are much closer to the Falcons than they are the Seahawks.

SteelB, I'm not going to address every one of your line items before I go to bed, but the average person not in construction has NO idea of how much asbestos is in the 'ol Girl. Imploding the Astrodome (with asbestos abatement) would cost 10's of millions of dollars in abatement - WELL before imploding.

Meh... Agree to disagree on her fate.

SteelB, I'm not going to address every one of your line items before I go to bed, but the average person not in construction has NO idea of how much asbestos is in the 'ol Girl. Imploding the Astrodome (with asbestos abatement) would cost 10's of millions of dollars in abatement - WELL before imploding.

Meh... Agree to disagree on her fate.

I understand a lot of the construction/tearing down issues.

The asbestos abatement issues is the reason the Astrodome is still standing. McNair has made almost 1 bil off of his Texans investment. He can afford it.

The asbestos abatement issues is the reason the Astrodome is still standing. McNair has made almost 1 bil off of his Texans investment. He can afford it.

Doesn't matter if he's worth a trillion dollars. McNair and the Texans do not own the Astrodome - the county does. He never even made any money off the Astrodome. Unless the county wants to sell him the property outright or engage in a joint venture which makes business sense he has absolutely zero reason to be paying for anything related to the Astrodome.

Doesn't matter if he's worth a trillion dollars. McNair and the Texans do not own the Astrodome - the county does. He never even made any money off the Astrodome. Unless the county wants to sell him the property outright or engage in a joint venture which makes business sense he has absolutely zero reason to be paying for anything related to the Astrodome.

Yes, but McNair/HLS&R have stopped the Dome from being renovated when it would've been much cheaper in the past.

So if he wants it torn down let the philanthropist McNair's contribute the $$$$ to the county to have it torn down. Otherwise let him look at it everyday he goes to work. Bottom line for me is the McNair's have received enough taxpayer $$$$. Let him pay for the tear down and for that matter the upgrades at NRG.

JMO

Enlighten me with facts please

JB, I'm not sure there are "facts" but as the major Lessees, the Texans and HSLR have a major say in anything that affects Reliant, ney NRG Park..

THAT SAID, those groups are ONLY lessees.

That is envy. It is a problem of all, both rich and poor. But they spend most of the time fighting with each other rather than overcoming the shared problem.

But the government(s) should never have gotten in the business of providing entertainment. They should restrict themselves to merely providing an environment for all businesses to thrive without direct involvement in the financing and operations of entertainment venues.

Then why isn't he willing to pay for the upgrades. Answer = Because he doesn't have too. Same with tearing down the Astrodome, he and the HLS&R would rather let it rot and have the taxpayers pay for tearing it down, rather than have an outside company make improvements and keep a cherished landmark if they cant make money off of the improvements. I understand where the McNair's are coming from and don't disagree with there business view of the situation. Thank god for Ed Emmitt.

You do not seem to pay much attention to information that undermines your preconceived notions.

The Texans and Houston Rodeo were willing to pay for the demolition and building of a really cool green space, but was blocked by a county judge who wants his buddies to get rich off of turning the dome into a white elephant project.

$66M plan would replace dome with green space

Here is a concept drawing:

[IMGwidthsize=800]https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/SportsBlogcom/filewarehouse/145537/dd3b5dab508bd9de904b24ab9a3b3688.jpg[/IMG]

The ribs of the Astrodome would be replicated for the border. On each column, there would be a bronze plaque celebrating players and events that occurred in the place. In the middle, they would create a min-Astrdome that would serve as a museum, gift shop, and restaurant.

The green space could be used for tailgating, amusement park rides during the rodeo, concerts, and many other public events.

Each column would have a screen that could have projections on them.

One article linked in the NSZ Astrodome thread mentioned that the Texans and rodeo were willing to pay for the majority of it, but the county would not consider any plan that did not get some money into the pockets of friends of County Judge Ed Emmett (last part added by me but is quite obvious in this on-going and pointless saga).

Before you prattle on about McNair, perhaps you should educate yourself on current events?

You do not seem to pay much attention to information that undermines your preconceived notions.

The Texans and Houston Rodeo were willing to pay for the demolition and building of a really cool green space, but was blocked by a county judge who wants his buddies to get rich off of turning the dome into a white elephant project.

[IMGwidthsize=800]https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/SportsBlogcom/filewarehouse/145537/dd3b5dab508bd9de904b24ab9a3b3688.jpg[/IMG]

The ribs of the Astrodome would be replicated for the border. On each column, there would be a bronze plaque celebrating players and events that occurred in the place. In the middle, they would create a min-Astrdome that would serve as a museum, gift shop, and restaurant.

The green space could be used for tailgating, amusement park rides during the rodeo, concerts, and many other public events.

One article linked in the NSZ Astrodome thread mentioned that the Texans and rodeo were willing to pay for the majority of it, but the county would not consider any plan that did not get some money into the pockets of friends of County Judge Ed Emmett (last part added by me but is quite obvious in this on-going and pointless saga).

Before you prattle on about McNair, perhaps you should educate yourself on current events?

Looking at this depiction, wondering if large spaces of large parking area will disappear.

DB, the 800lb gorilla in the room is the cost of abatement... Period!

That building is so FULL of asbestos! Abatement alone would or could cost multiple 10's of Millions of dollars. Even after abatement, implosion would release a "mushroom" cloud of asbestos that wasn't abated...

My point is this, The Texans and Rodeo, in my opinion are not ready to pull the trigger.

Your thoughts, bro?

DB, the 800lb gorilla in the room is the cost of abatement... Period!

That building is so FULL of asbestos! Abatement alone would or could cost multiple 10's of Millions of dollars. Even after abatement, implosion would release a "mushroom" cloud of asbestos that wasn't abated...

My point is this, The Texans and Rodeo, in my opinion are not ready to pull the trigger.

Your thoughts, bro?

My question is about one sentence from that same article:

"Last May, the Rodeo and Texans jointly commissioned a study showing it would cost $29 million to demolish the dome and build a 1,600-space parking lot."

How could both the Rodeo and Texans get a commissioned study (assumed from a reputable firm) if abatement is not part of the demolition costs?

Checking the interwebs, I just found this article:

Asbestos Astrodome

October 6, 2014

Asbestos abatement has been completed on the “Eighth Wonder of the World,” or the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. Harris County awarded the seven figure contract to ARC Abatement in November 2013. Rick Rickels, general manager of ARC’s Houston office, oversaw the project. He says the project was completed in 244 calendar days, which is a 30 days earlier than estimated at the beginning of the project.

Source

The above links this article from The Dallas Morning News:

ESCAPING ASTRODOOM?

Visit the stadium now and you’ll find construction workers engaged in an asbestos remediation project necessary no matter what the future holds. And that future is anything but certain.

Full article

Based on the above, it appears that the asbestos issue has been resolved.

Back