So when is the deadline on the 8 million?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

My understanding is that the deadline for declaring for the draft is January 15th, right? So when exactly does McNair have to decide about giving the Carr the extension? Can he wait until after the 15th?

Y'all know what I'm getting at here?:)

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I have seen at lest three different dates (one of which has passed). I believe that it is the end of the NFL season which is in mid-February.

3. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

From what I understand they are just working out the fine details and the extension is going to be complete soon.

Vince is not being drafted by the Texans.

Most people are saying that this game has moved Vince over Matt, not Reggie. It is only the Dick Vitale of college football, Lee Corso, and the local guys who are saying that we should draft Vince.

4. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

From what I understand, the last game of the year, season, is the probowl, which is Feb. 12. Granted this is what I have read on this board and off of 610 radio, so take it for what its worth.

:homer:

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Just a guess...but I think it is March 2nd

6. Chaft

Chaft Rookie

There are folks saying that the Texans can trade Carr AFTER he gets paid the bonus. What kind kind of cap acceleration happens here? I don't think this is possible to do that. Also, what team would give a 1st rounder for Carr for only a 2 year contract ($5.5 million bonus) at approximately $5 million base salary each year (pretty high salary for a QB)? The Texans either keep Carr or just let him go. There can be no trading him.

7. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I think each contract is different.

8. Vinny

all of his 8 mil gets accelerated to the cap.....PLUS he has that massive base salary to deal with (the other team has to accept it).

9. Vinny

the end of the NFL contract year is the same for each player...his re-sign may have a different date though...that's why I said it was a guess .....but it won't be past March 2nd per the NFL deadlines. I can assure you on that one.

10. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I know that it won't be past March 2nd, but it might be earlier.

11. Chaft

Chaft Rookie

Has there been any discussion about Carr renegotiating his contract to be more commensurate to his production over the last 4 years? This option bonus along with his base salary for 2 or 3 years (depending on what bonus is selected) is the kind of money associated with Pro Bowl QBs. If Carr wants to be proactive, he can do this. Forcing Texans' management to make a decision of giving him a big bonus or let him go is not just the only route.

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

It's earlier. Sometime in mid-Feb but I can't recall the exact date. The deadline for Carr's bonus precedes the expiration date of the contract (Mar 2) by about two weeks or so.

If they did a sign and trade, not all of the 8 mill would accelerate (that is if they give him the three year option over the two year option) since 2 million will count on the '05 cap if they execute the bonus by x date (prior to March 2).

13. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think the date is February 8th or something like that.

14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

On 610, Casserly said that Carr will be offered. He said the time frame to do that is in February, not specific as to the date.

15. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I've defended Carr many times, but I don't like paying him that much. It's just too much and he hasn't proven that he's worth it (or not, really). I can't believe they're not going to let him test the market and find out what he's really worth. We've already got too many over-paid players.

16. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

I think it's 2/15. Contracts expire in march, but we have until 2/15 to exercise the option in Carr's contract. I posted an article by Pat Kirwan a few weeks ago that had the exact date .... I'll try and dig it up again.

Edit
    ---

Ok, I was a bit off, it's 2/19.

Link to entire article.

17. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

CC was talking a couple of weeks ago and said he thought it would be done in a week or two. Not done...Mmmm. Could it be they are trying to work out a restructuring deal? With the turmoil that has come out from the Rose Bowl, I suspect that it may put some new juice into the negotiatgions if they are trying to work a new deal.

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The talk of VY entering the draft gives us amazing leverage with Carr and the #1, I happen to love the frenzy and am thankful we have a two headed monster in Cass and Reeves along with an engaged owner at this moment.