So what does Mario have to do this year......

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mr teX, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

statwise, to stave off you calling him the "b" word? I only ask b/c i happened to pop on Davies & dukes this morning & they were sort of talking about it.

Maybe you look at it differently, not so much what Mario has to do statwise, but what does the defensive unit/line have to accomplish for you to feel Mario is at least becoming the force you thought he could be?

2. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

All he needs to do is stay healthy and find consistency from game to game. He will have some games where he appears to be shut out and others where he rag dolls a couple of linemen a game like in the Giants game.

In reality the B word should not really ever be used on any player until after their 3rd year regardless of the player or the team etc. It just takes that long for most players to adjust to the pro game.

3. BigTimeTexanFan

BigTimeTexanFan All Pro

For me, it's not just what Mario does. I want him to contribute on a dominating D-line helping the defense pick up where it left off from the last half of the season. If he improves the way I hope, offenses will have to pay more attention to him allowing others on the defense to make plays. I really don't think we will have anything to worry about with Mario, though:mario3:

4. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Two words...win games.

5. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Has to put up Freeny or Peppers like numbers, simple as that.

6. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I don't want to get wrapped up in calling him a success or failure based on a stat line. I would like to see him be a disruptive force, whether it's stuffing RB's in the backfield, tossing O-Linemen around and getting some sacks here and there.

4.5 isn't enough, by any means. I'd like to see him double that while being disruptive every Sunday.

rollinstone18 likes this.
  7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I fully expect him to have 10+ sacks this year, and at least 2-4 FFs

Thats barely 1 every other game.

I know, I know, people are already saying he'll be double teamed. Franky, I don't care. Everyone knows Peppers is a beast, everyone knows Freeney is a beast, everyone knows Strahan, etc, etc and they still produce. With a new pass rushing DT in Okoye, a rejuvinated TJ and the surprising Maddox in the middle, I expect MW should easily surpass 10 sacks this season

If he doesn't, I will be the first to be disapointed. The first overall pick in the draft, after a full year of NFL experience, healthy and hungry, should not be given any more "cushion" time. As Texans fans, we have learned way too much patience. Carr is the perfect example. We need to expect our players to perform up to the level they were predicted to perform at.

8. The1ApplePie

If your taken 1st overall, and you are just a solid contributer, you're a bust.

Hopefully he can be a solid run stopper.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Peppers had 7 sacks the year the Panthers made a SB run and Freeney had 5.5 sacks in the year they won the SB. These were the worst sack totals of each of their respective careers.

We need a well rounded unit on defense and Mario will be the anchor for the first tier of that defense.

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  10. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Damn your facts and logic!!!! :doot:

11. The1ApplePie

I meant the usual 12-15 sacks a year numbers.

12. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Freeney and the entire Colts defense was HORRIBLe all year. The only reason they even made it into the playoffs was because of their offense.

Once in the playoffs, Freeney resumed his natural pass rushing self. He was the sack leader for the postseason.

The Colts made it to the playoffs in spite of Freeney, not because of him.

As for Peppers, well, I can't really explain that one. Rucker benefited I guess, as he had something like 10-15 sacks that season

13. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Be a difference maker.

Make the defense better.

I would love to see a ton of sacks, but he doesn't have to have that to make a difference out there.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yes, Freeney, Peppers and Mario are all horrible and make no one around them better. :rolleyes:

15. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

I think if he can get us 1200 yds. and 8 td's that would be a great start ....

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I was at last nights practice and the team wasn't in pads but I dunno if Mario really needs pads ? The guy is an awesome physcial physique ! And now that he's down to 'bout 280 lbs. he really looks almost as much like a basketball player as he does a football player. But couple that with his superior athleticism (can't help but wonder what the Mario-Lite 40 time and vertical elevation would be ?), and "Super Mario" says it all. But maybe the new D coachs and getting his first NFL year behind him will give him the maturity to take advantage of his prodigous physical skills.
    BTW, Mario signed autographs after practice and he stayed forever and I think just about everyone got something signed and there was a ton of people wanting a signature. But the big guy showed a lot of patience, and dare I say maturity ?

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

20 or so players picked after him had better years than he did....so, he needs to simply play better...and outplay the guys picked after him....so he has a TALL order. Being the first overall pick in a DEEP draft carries a burden.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

They both average 10-11 sacks a year, not 12-15. Start with unreasonable expectations and you will end up disappointed.

19. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Now we are nitpicking numbers to further the excuses for MW

He was picked 1st. Therefore I expect him to perform better than every other player in the draft.

I won't be disapointed if he plays at or around the level of others in the draft, but a repeat of last year will surely be a failure

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

show some heart
    show a mean streak
    show more quickness
    show better technique
    show the ability to make more plays
    show the ability to put Peyton and all the other QBs on their arse

in other words, he needs to show all the things that he didn't really show last year