So what about the Connor Barwin to Jason Babin comparisons ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, May 7, 2009.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Anybody else having a sense of deja vu all over again with this years second round pick ? The similarities between these 2 guys are obvious, no make that striking.
    Both are/were the "great white-hopes" to kick-start the Texans pass-rush as they are Michigan natives who's college careers were at less than major league midwestern schools where they faced a dubious level of competition. And their physical profiles/athletic measurements are also very similar as they
    are both in the 6'2" - 6'3", 250 - 260 lb range with 40 times in the 4.5 - 4.6
    range as an example of their similar workouts.
    And finally their respective combine performances and Senior Bowl appearances had a lot to do with their Draft stock skyrocketing in the final weeks leading up to the Draft.

Vinny likes this.
  2. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Different GM, Different HC, Different DC, Different results! And now we have more talent on D than we did back then.

3. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Babin came in and had to do something he didn't do in college. Stand up. He wasn't a 3-4 OLB. He was a DE, and not a bad one at that. I think we severed ties with Babin a little too early. We also didn't trade half of our draft for the guy. We just stayed there and took him. Cincinnati playes better competition then Western Michingan. I think Barwin has better measurables and motor as well.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I'll be the first to admit I compared him to Babin. But that was only based on what I saw. When he got drafted more stuff came up on the dude and I don't think there is any real comparison to their style of play. Babin was supposed to be this bull rushing DE but only had a spin move. Barwin is very fast off the snap and looks way more athletic.

Aside from all that, this regime picked Barwin in the right spot. The 2nd round and didn't waste picks to get him in the 1st.

5. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

The Babin:Barwin analogy is about as apt as your Cincinnati:Western Michigan analogy.

People often have trouble seeing past the color of one's skin. The fact that your average Texan fan had never heard of either guy before the draft doesn't help either, but that doesn't make their futures similar.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Anyone that has a great white hope is in lala land.

7. Polo

Polo Guest

The old regime seemed to have a habbit of drafting guys that were't that good at what they were being asked to do...

This thread reminds me of that...

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Barwin ran a 4.47 at his Pro Day.

I can't say that I pay enough attention to what players did in college to do a proper comparison, but I asked John Harris of 1560 his thoughts on this:

"[A]s I said yesterday, the Texans needed defensive play makers. One of my worries, though, is some people will see him as another Jason Babin. Rest assured, he's not Jason Babin. Babin couldn't hold this kid's jock. But, this is a scenario that we talked about for a while, speed/dominant pass rusher opposite Mario."

Seems little harsh, but that's one guy's opinion. Also, Babin played right away and over his head. And played while he was injured. He had a hard time fitting in on a team that resented his contract.

The Texans are going to use Barwin in obvious passing downs. This assumes that the Texans can get teams into obvious passing downs given how many yards they have typically given up on first down.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

there is nothing to the comparisons imo...it's just natural to muse about how similar his name is, the fact that he went to a small school and how he wasn't on the radar of the fans for the most part. nuns, you always inject race into everything...how come?

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Why don't we wait until after a game or two before we start making up our minds? Any of our our draft picks might be anything from wonderful to horrible. We just won't know till they put on the pads and play.

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

all of that, and to top it off, I just realized that each player has 2 syllable first and last names! Yep, I think that clinches it... Barwin is destined to have the same career as Jason Babin. Otherwise, the world just wouldn't make sense.

Fox likes this.
  12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've got concerns about Barwin as well, but I wouldn't make comparisons to Babin for the reasons mentioned here, as well as the fact that we won't be asking Barwin to do something he's never done before, play OLB in a system he's never played in.

& the thing about more talent on D, is a big plus. We don't need him to be a full time player. He'll be part of a much more solid rotation than Babin ever was.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Barwin will definitely be a more effective DE pass rusher than Babin, because he doesn't have all those tattoos to weigh him down.:pirate:

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

And Jason Babin, er, I mean Connor Barwin is a "high-motor", 'blue-collar" type who gives it a 100 % every moment he's on the field of play. They're all about their intensity. I'm not saying the results are gonna be the same, but I am just sayin', well I dunno did anybody get a DNA specimen when Babin was in H-town because I wouldn't be surprised if they are related ?

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

geesh

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

[​IMG]

I am just sayin'.

Vinny likes this.
  17. BOLIO

BOLIO Rookie

If we had taken Babin in the 2nd and not traded our other picks away to get him.....it would not have been the end of the world. But we did.

I don't have the same feel for this one. Like others have said....there is no position change for him. He is a situational pass rusher for the first year or two of his career. For the record, I wanted one of the interior lineman at that spot....but I like the guy. I think he can develop into an every down, high motor, and productive player for us. :texflag:

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

First off I don't pay near as much attention to "Pro Day" measurements as I do to the official times, distances, etc. that are compiled at the Indy combine. One is a standarized envirnoment where all compete under the same conditions and the other, well I'm not saying it can be manipulated to produce favorable results but lets just say its less regulated and varies from school to school.
    Regarding the John Harris comment, I have a lot of respect for his opinion and I'm a fan and pay attention to him when he's evaluating college football players potential to make it in the NFL. But I'd like to hear something more definitive, some more detail in support of his remark that "Babin couldn't hold this kid's jock". After all the story on Barwin is very limited as he's the same kind of one-year wonder as Clay Matthews was in college, which was and remains a big concern of many about Matthews NFL potential.
    We've got a guy or 2 who posted in this very thread who was nuts about Babin at one time, but then finally realized later than most that he was a bust. I'm just gonna take a wait and see attitude about Barwin, because I dunno how he's gonna be but I sure see some striking similarities between him and Babin.
    On the other hand I like the pick because we've got to make an effort to bolster the pass-rush, which means taking some risks like I think this pick clearly is.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

You're going to take the "wait and see attitude", yet you've already dubbed him similar to Babin?

As Vinny eloquently stated...Geesh!

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think the real question that needs to be asked is if Connor Barwin eats chicken bones.