So we're 5-7 now

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hervoyel, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Sunday we go to Green Bay to play the 5-7 Packers at their house where they are 3-3 this season. They've lost 4 of their last 5 games. In short they're fading and this Sunday at Lambeau looks tough but not nearly as impossible as it did a few weeks ago.

IF we manage to slip out of Green Bay with a win we'll be sitting at 6-7 and coming home to play the most important game of the season (at this point). We'll be playing the Titans at our house to pull even at 7-7 on the year.

I'm getting interested again despite everything. This is when you know you have a "problem".

Basically every game until the end of the season is the next "most important game of the season".

If we can slip by GB it's home to play Tennessee.
    If we can manage to beat Tennessee then it's back out on the road to try and keep dominating the Raiders.
    If we don't get cocky and lose to the Raiders (a very real possibility if we roll two more weeks and go there with a 3 game winning streak under our belts) then we come home not just to try and finish the season on an up note or be "not losers".
    If we can beat the Packers, Teets, and Raiders then we're playing for a 9-7 season against the Bears. That would in my opinion salvage the 2008 season. It wouldn't turn it into roses but at least it would no longer smell quite so much like manure.

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

true Herv
    unfortunately I wonder if it will save RS job if they start doing better

3. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i hope not?

4. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

The defense didn't exactly play well tonight. I mean, stats aren't everything but they gave up 388 net yards to an average at best offense... and it wasn't SUCH a blowout that they came in garbage time.

5. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i think we'll be around .500 again but at least we're finally seeing progress defense-wise and some young guys maturing. pity it came a little too late to save this season

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Even at 9-7, in my mind the Texans would not have accomplished much. It would be too little, too late. For a team that had playoff aspiration coming into this season, they failed miserably when they had a chance to actually be a factor in the playoff race.

7. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

GB still has a chance at the playoffs so this hou vs GB game will be do or die for them its not going to be easy

anywayz to me tho playing GB in the snow hopefully is always a special game 2 me IMO

8. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

umm yes it was.. they got alot of that when we started rushing 3 and sitting back. they scored 3 pts and struggled to move the ball when we played our 'new' type defence

tbh, IF the D continues to play like this, i dont see the big problem in keeping richard smith. he'll have learned from his mistakes and thats what coaching is about (even if it was slower than it should've been)

9. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

We were up by 20 with less than five minutes left. Garbage time? I think so...

10. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

You're giving the D waaay too much credit. I know they're playing better now, but they played better in the second half last year too.

Let's not all start falling in love with Richard Smith, here. Sure, he has a right to improve and change things just like the players, but let's see how they do against tougher teams like GB and Tennessee.

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

12. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

problem I see is that a RS defense seems to do better toward the end of the season .. well we need it a defense that does well at the beginning of the season too

just a mirage I guess.

13. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

exactly

14. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I think the last TD was garbage time, but not the one before.

Anyway - it shouldn't matter. There's no reason to give up that much yardage to the Jags.

Great win tonight, though... and it could have been an even bigger win if Schaub was in there. Kubes had the boys ready to play.

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Did you watch the game?
    We were up 23 - 3 with less than 5 minutes remaining. We went into prevent defense

THEN the Jags gained 73 yards and a TD
    we scored again
    THEN the Jags gained another 63 yards and a TD

So we gave up a total of 250 yards offense and 3 points in actual game time.

We gave up 136 yards and 2 TDs in prevent mode in the last 5 minutes.

Thats domination by the defense

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I don't totally agree with you on that. Based on the time left on the clock I'd chalk every yard they got once the lead hit 20 points to being pure garbage time. That's the last 5 minutes of the game roughly and the Jags chalked up 136 yards and two TD's against our wimpy ass prevent defense.

In my book we truly gave up around 250 yards tonight and basically 3 points. Sure the Jags shot themselves in the foot on a regular basis but nobody makes allowances for that when the Texans do it so I give our defense the benefit of the doubt tonight. I sure hope we play like this the rest of the way out and I hope that doesn't affect the Texans decision where Richard Smith is concerned. Even if he does suddenly now "get it" I still think that going this long playing defense the way the Texans have is ignorant enough an example to fire a coordinator.

17. Blu

Blu All Pro

Nice Blitz'n :pirate: it works!

18. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

and you're being hypercritical. last yr we 'simplified' things on D because of the injuries and got some decent results eventhough much of it was down to lucky ints etc

this yr we're just being aggressive so there is a difference. im starting to get confidence in our D that they can stop teams when it matters

but i agree, we're not going to crown them after 2 good games. however if the performances and results continue like these we have to be happy with that

19. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Sorry, in the NFL to me a 20 point lead with 5 minutes left isn't garbage time. 2 minutes and a 20 point lead? Garbage time.

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The Jags first TD came with 2 minutes 11 seconds left.

Whether or not you want to admit it as garbage time is irrelevant. The Texans were in a prevent defense. That signifies a complete shift in style, and the stats are no longer nearly as valid