So ummm... When is Dre going to stop dropping balls?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by phan1, Oct 29, 2006.

1. phan1

phan1 All Pro

OK. this guy is an obvious Probowler yada yada yada. But darnit he's got to hang on to the football. He makes some insane catches (like the one in the n-zone) and drops others. One commentor said he's the best in the AFC. Well, he would be if he had a great set of hands to go along with his physiic. We could have won today if it weren't for those drops. Ditto with the Dallas game, in which we could have at least kept it close.

2. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

I have been sparring with a couple posters on the main thread over this very thing. Pro-Bowler WRs HAVE TO catch, and AJ is having a tough time with that. Maybe just a temporary funk....or fumblitis?

Him and David share the loss of the game today, IMO.

3. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

It's been the knock on him since day 1 so I don't know if it'll ever change.

4. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

It's something you're going to have to live with. AJ will make many more big plays that will make up for his drops. Terrell Owens has been that way his whole career as well.

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

In his defense.. he has had about 3 games in a row (prior to today) where he caught most everything thrown at him.

Today, he had a bad game.

This may not ever change..he may be a guy who is hot for stretches, and then gets the dropsies all the sudden. Im still happy to have him on my team and know that we can count on him to make plays. When he starts dropping balls though, we will just have to use him as a decoy and throw it to one of our many other receiving threats till he gets over it.

6. Bongo59

Bongo59 Veteran

sorry............Id vote the OL was the main culprit

7. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Dre will stop dropping balls, when he stops trying to catch them with his arms.

Sounds pretty basic, but its true.

8. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say AJ had a "bad" game or shares part of the loss. The game was going into the crapper way before he dropped the Rosenfels pass for the int. Carr looked like he was back to his ways at the beginning of the season of fumbling everyime he got sacked, and I've got to put most of the loss responsibility on him.

9. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

When is Carr going to the fumbles?

Even with AJs drops he still has upside.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

AJ's dropped so many balls this year I swear I thought Corey Bradford started working out or something.

He seems to always get a pass on that stuff too which is starting to grate on my nerves as I watch him put one ball after another on the ground (or in the hands of a defender off of the deflection). He's probably the best we have though so I give him a pass too.

11. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

he is having a great year...a few drops shouldn't overshadow all the great plays and all the touchdowns he has been scoring. Not every receiver is perfect... Jerry Rice dropped balls, TO drops a lot of balls... AJ is gonna have his shares and I guarantee you he will drop more balls. It is who can make the big play when we need it...and this season for the most part he has made it.

Or we could just cut him... =D

12. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Someone needs to buy him the "catch vest" gadget that guy invented for receivers on American Inventor. It forces you to use your hands and not arms.

13. MrMeToo

MrMeToo All Pro

This loss goes to Carr.I don't think we would of won the game if AJ would of caught those two dropped passes anyway...

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

AJ is the super-freak physically speaking, and makes some spectacular plays.
    But other WRs like Marvin Harrison and Hines Ward make those same plays and also give you dependabilty and consistancy.

15. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

yeah i dont like the way AJ always seems to get a free pass also- hes very good but he could be better- if you criticise 1 of them criticise them all- aj's drops indirectly lead to 14 pts- same as carr

16. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

I think we have bigger problems than AJ. His biggest problem is that he generally makes Carr look good by making plays on poorly thrown passes. Like the 35 yd touchdown catch against the Jags. Carr knows he can just toss it up into a crowd and AJ will make a play, which he has done frequently over the years. Except when he is in quadruple coverage like today. So believe it or not I say lay off of AJ, he's one of the best in the league, we should be thankful we have him.

17. CaptainPatriot

CaptainPatriot Veteran

When he starts catching the ball with his hands and not with his body!:brickwall

18. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I agree, he has days like this, even when he came out scouts said that his hands weren't that great.

19. MrMeToo

MrMeToo All Pro

AMEN.