So... Terrance Cody or Brian Orakpo?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by The1ApplePie, Nov 16, 2008.

1. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

The Texans current D-Line is possibly the worst in the NFL, though the linebackers are pretty much pants as well.

So, do you want a big space eater or a manster at DE?

2. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Sure, the Texans can be just like the Detroit Lions that draft WRs every season with their 1st round pick, except the Texans are doing that with defensive linemen.

3 out of the last 4 seasons they have went defensive line. Maybe the talent is there but the coaching isn't. I think the Texans have a lot more pressing needs than defensive line.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Clearly we can't develop DL or we can't coach them. Its time to look elsewhere

4. The1ApplePie

TJ is a bust and AO really had no business going in the first round to begin with. Its a combination of idiotic drafting and idiotic coaching

5. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Cut TJ and Weaver soon as the season is over.

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Given the choice I would take Orapko

I really want Curry

7. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Between those two it's Cody and it's not even close.

But, for me, it's between Cody and a LB - whoever the top graded LB turns out to be.

8. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Orapko for sure as we need more pass rush then anything and with the right DC we could be moving in Big Biscuit aka Frank Okam in and out at NT/DE. I dont think it is the players as it is the coaching of the dline, even though some people do need to go.

9. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Orakpo / Williams would be killing opposing QB's for years. Then I would look for that big boy for the middle in the second.

Considering we are going to be drafting top 5 in every round we should have some talent on that side of the ball.

10. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Why would we want somebody who's name is the way we've played the last 7 years (Okrapo)?

11. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I would really love for us to get one of those really great linebackers like Malauga(sp?) in a Texans uni next year. Our linebackers don't have enough speed to cause any kind of havoc in the run or pass game.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

the ceiling for Cody is really, really high. I like Orakpo but as physical specimens go he's not head & shoulders above the talent he'll face on Sundays. Cody on the other hand is that specimen who stands out above the rest. He also can be a dominate 4-3 DT or a 3-4 NT that gives you flexability & versatility. The defensive line performance has been dissapointing because they're physically overmatched inside the tackles, leaving Mario chasing down the play from the backside.

I also like having two Alabama defensive (DeMeco/Cody) stars playing for the Texans, although most here would prefer two Longhorns (Okam/Orakpo).

Corrosion likes this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I have changed my mind.

I would take Cody

We coud draft a Brown or English in the 2nd rd.

Why didn't I see Molden today?

I wasn't like the quartet of DR, Reeves, Bennett & Petey were doing a good job.

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Even as a major UT fan, I couldn't care less where the kids come from.

The Texans just need to get some more talent on defense.

If that means they want Orakpo, then Orakpo it is.

15. The1ApplePie

Orakpo/Cody in first
    and
    Cushing/Selvie in the second would be gold, in whatever combonation

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I love them both. For this team, I would take Cody.

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

its probably best to stay detached, still if I'm seeking defensive playmakers with the skill set to succeed in the NFL the first place I'm looking is the SEC, thats not a knock on the BIG 12 its a testamont to the speed, agility & size it takes to play defense & stop those power running attacks. A player like DeMeco gets kinda lost in the shuffle because of the talent level he is surrounded by or the system he played in, Alabama has always been known for its defensive run stopping ability so if the Texans are after a system to cherry pick from with proven success in the past why not pluck another cherry off the tree?

kcdoubleeagle likes this.
  18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Cody and Suggs in FA or Orakpo and Haynesworth in FA? I will wet my pants with either. Then use our second to pick the best interior OL available. Ill take Max Unger in the 2nd round. I want our trenches fixed once and forall. It wont make a difference what playmakers we have if our base is weak. FIx it at all cost and lets move on already. Once we get the trenches settled everything else will fall into place. We will be consistantly good instead of consistanly bad. Its just the way it works. And we are going too be bad until we realize that.

20. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i know little about orakpo and almost nothing about cody, but for this team i'd take the monster DT ahead of a pass rushing DE. we have almost no ability to crash the pocket and without that it hardly matters what the DE's are capable of. just look at what manning could do, drop back 3 steps and stand there all day. unless we're positive that okam's going to develope into that guy, we need to make a commitment to find that space eater to anchor our defense.

personally i dont care about the lions references though, if we draft offensive/defensive linemen in the first round for the next 10 years it wouldnt hurt my feelings.