Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So..... keep Chris Palmer, the coaches, the team...

J-Man

Waterboy
Vinny said:
"Tweeners" are our OLB's. You have to be at around 250 to hold up to Offensive Guards and Tackles. Smaller (230 pound guys and the like) have a hard time sheding blocks and 3-4 OLB's take on linemen much more than 4-3 OLB's do because they have two tackles and two ends covering the linemen. We just have 3 Tackle-types covering 5 guys so you have to have more size in your OLB's in this system. We will probably draft one 'tweener' every single year just like the Steelers do. DJ would be an inside linebacker in our system.
Vinny...I'm tracking with you. I probably should have not been as specific as saying OLB since most have smaller body types. My point was that it is easier to draft a 240lb LB that already knows how to cover the pass, play in a 2pt stance, and has some pass rush skills. Not to mention the fact that it's not out of the realm of possibility to bulk a guy up by 10-15lbs if raw size becomes an issue. I believe Ray Lewis came out of Miami at just over 230 and he consistently plays at 240+. I just think that we should at least consider that if the right athlete is available while we are on the clock (I am thinking someone like Ahmad Brooks from Virginia).

OzzO

.. and then?
Harrry B - your entitled to your opnion (hence the message board) but I don't think your view is going to be swayed just like the numerous posters on this thread. You've asked how Palmer has improved the offense but then limit that a response cannot include players.

Infantrycak and Vinny have given numerous examples (interesting as I was gonna go a fact-finding mission myself) as to how we have improved, but you don't like their responses or then aim for a different rebuttal. If you feel Palmer has not improved the offense, then might I suggest you give specific season examples - not just game examples as teams can have bad games and also not just sweeping generalizations such as Carr getting killed on every play and Davis is making the runs with little thanks to the O-line.

I beleive Porky noted, inform the class on what you feel will take us to the superbowl next season as that's what appears will make you feel we have succeeded. By the way, I'm glad you have a different view... makes the board interesting.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Harry Biped said:
For infantrycak, all of your arguments are very pedestrian. If you don't see the receivers running bad route and dropping passes, then you are apparently not watching the games because it happens a lot in every game.
Well it only takes a pedestrian argument to beat a demonstrably wrong assertion. And wouldn't you admit that was a pretty pedestrian attempt at being condescending?

Good job of proving you have no perspective on watching the games--turns out the Texans WR's may have the lowest % of drops in the NFL.

% of incompletions due to drops:

David Carr 8.8%

Drew Bledsoe 15%
Tom Brady 9.0%
Drew Brees 11.6%
Kerry Collins 13.5%
Marc Bulger 11%
Daunte Culpepper 10.5%
Jake Delhomme 15.7%
Brett Favre 13.2%
Trent Green 21%
Joey Harrington 17.6%
Matt Hasselback 18%
Byron Leftwich 21.1%
Peyton Manning 10.6%
Donovan McNabb 16.6%
Carson Palmer 17.2%
Chad Pennington 20.4%
Jake Plummer 16.1%
Ben Roethlisberger 11.1%
Vinny Testeverdi 11.0%
Michael Vick 10.8%
Billy Volek 13.4%

I guess my perception of the number of drops from watching every game is more accurate in comparison to the league than yours. Sorry, I can't make that argument more exciting for you, so I will just stick with accurate.

Porky

Hall of Fame
The steelers have 343 points, and we have 295 points. So, I think a case can be made that they have made better use of the yards they have gained. Whether that is coaching, players, or some combination thereof can be debated.

But, the big difference between the Steelers and Texans is on defense, where they have given up 227 points to our 317 (and that is after our giving up 5 points the last two weeks)

So they have scored 50 more, but given up 90 less, yet I haven't heard Mr. Biped call for the head of Fangio. I find that a bit interesting. :hmmm: