So if the Shanihans and Kubiak are fired, does that mean...

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

So if the Shanihans and Kubiak are fired, does that mean the Shanny/Broncos/ZBS based offense is no longer viable in today's NFL?

Redskins are 3-8 and Texans are 2-9. If Shanihan & Kubiak can't make these offenses work, who can? Is it personnel?... or is the system broken?

2. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

The WCO is alive and well throughout the NFL and so is the ZBS.

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The ZBS, like any system, will work quite well if you have the right players and coaches. We don't seem to have either right now.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Most teams use plays and concepts from the WCO, but no team is running a pure Bill Walsh WCO these days.

5. powda

powda Hall of Fame

The zbs is fine outside the redzone. Condense the field and things change. It does look like it's dying even if all the teams use it occasionally. I don't know that anyone can use it exclusively.

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

We just need really big endzones. :kitten:

7. Rey

Rey Guest

Is that a VY joke?

Playoffs likes this.
  8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Um, no, but now you got me wondering what THAT means.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Foster led the league in TD's in back to back seasons running in the zone scheme .... With this group , its more about a lack of talent on the OL than the scheme not working.

As for the OP's question , I think its more about these two teams quarterbacks and their lack of talent and injuries.

RG3 is just another scrub QB if he isn't a threat to break a long run - he's not very advanced in the passing game.

Schaub's foot injury ... He cant plant , has lost velocity when he didn't have much to begin with and started making poor decisions on top of that.

Both teams lack talent at the most crucial position on the field , both teams records reflect that.

10. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

If and when Kubiak is let go, I'd love to see Washington hire Kubiak. They can keep the offense consistent and not get RG3 killed.

11. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

12. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Not this year. Foster WAS elite...our ol talent was better...Shaubs decision making was better. We were succesfull for a number of reasons...and now we are miserable for a number of reasons. Is our failure exclusively a scheme issue? Ofcourse not. But its been a while since we saw our offense dominate a defense. Kubs and shanny are not the only zbs guys in the nfl but they are the biggest proponets...and they are on the way out unless they adapt.

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

What's surprising to me is that Shanny Jr seems to be more creative than Kubes and has a lot more talent. So I'm wondering what their excuse is.

14. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Fans are saying the exact same things about the Redskins offense as our -- too predictable, no adjustments.

15. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Kubes will get fired as will his mentor Shanahan. Shanahan will come here. The offense will go nowhere and there will be whispers the other guy knew the next playcall.

S.O.P. in H-Town. :clown:

16. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Can we get a coach who manages the clock, challenges, and for the love of god, ingame adjustments better?

I wouldve killed to have gotten andy reid last year.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

It boils down to talent , when they had it they were able to put up a lot of points , now that they don't they don't and we question the scheme ....

18. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Often overlooked in my opinion is the fact that only two guys on the Oline remain from Alex Gibbs days. He tended to have an effect everywhere he went.

19. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Sure. But I don't think the zbs has evolved much since it's inception. Defense s on the other hand have. Teams used to play hardcore zbs teams once or twice a year...now they prepare for those concepts almost weekly. You can't be a one trick pony and expect to have long term success. I think it can work...we've seen it work...but there has to be something else up your sleeve...at the very least have a qb capable of threatening the defense downfield.

How defenses evolved...evolved faster then our scheme AND our talent. Teams caught up to the curve. It only takes 1 coach to find a chink in the armor before it spreads like a plague thru the nfl. I think it was new england.

20. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

The team sucks because the players on it suck?

MADNESS!