So i had an argument..........

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Newbsies, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Newbsies

Newbsies Rookie

With a friend of mine the other night. I insisted that Dunta was a Top ten cornerback in the NFL, but my buddy didn't fully agree with me and listed 18 other "big name" CB's that are better than Dunta :dangit: , even listing our own PB as one of the ones better. Anyway, to get some sort of circulation started and kill some time, can you guys think of fifteen better CB's than Dunta? I can think of about six, maybe seven, but that's about it.

2. 281

281 Hall of Fame

Dunta is DEFINITELY top ten. Find me another corner who is blazing fast, doesn't get burned often, and hits like a mack truck (Besides Winfield).

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Name them. We might be able to start a pointless little argument right now. :)

4. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Ty Law
    Champ Bailey
    Patrick Surtain
    Ronde Barber
    Charles Woodson
    Samari Rolle
    Lito Shepard
    Fred Smoot
    Rasheen Mathis
    Sam Madison
    Nate Clements
    Ken Lucas

Compare those guys. I think its too early to call Dunta an "elite" cornerback, but if he has another season like he did last year...then yes.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

So you're saying you would trade Dunta straight up for all of these guys?

6. TEXANS84

No, because I see more upside to Dunta...with this being his 2nd season. And the list was just thrown together. It wasn't a list of the better cornerbacks than Dunta.

It was just a reference list to compare Dunta with other quality and elite cornerbacks.

7. TheGus

TheGus Rookie

well all those CBS are pretty old and I bet Dunta could beat them in an interception deflect passes contest. As far as I'm concerned Dunta is top ten of the YOUNG CBs. However Andre Johnson is no doubt #1 in YOUNG WRs.

8. Without even thinking I could name 15 other guys that are better than Dunta. He'd have to go up against the star recievers to get my nod for being one of the best in the league.

9. Beastlyman2003

Beastlyman2003 Veteran

Dude, comeon now these guys are probably ranked like this on Madden, but truth be told, Dunta is without a doubt better than the bottom five on your list. I could also argue that he is better than Lito Shepard, TALENT-WISE, and that i would have much rather have had D-Rob than CHUMP bailey last year. I would also rather have him than TY Law anyways. Truth be told he is the best overall CB on this list. My reasons being that a WR (not to mention any QB or RB) think about gettin licked by him, as well as pickin off throws. THis kids a stud!

10. TEXANS84

The list is in no particular order. Like I said earlier, its a comparison list. These are some of the better cornerbacks in the leauge.

11. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

OVER RATED!

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Do it. It's difficult to have a discussion if you don't share your opinion of who is better.

13. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Champ Bailey
    Chris McAlister
    Ty Law
    Patrick Surtain
    Samari Rolle
    Dunta Robinson

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

im not gonna go to indepth.. i just want to point out that putting Rasheen Mathis above Dunta Robinson is ignorance of the finest flavor.

Thats like putting Harrington above Roethlisburger.

I also agree that Madison, Clements, and Lucas are not as good as DRob.

That basicly puts Drob at about #8 on your list. a FAIR assessment.. though I dont agree with it.

DRob was the BEST CB in the league last season.. he may not have dominated every stat.. but the ones he didnt lead in, he came close.. and he threw in some sacks and FFs as well.

The only reason I wont rate DRob at the top is because its only his second season.

15. TEXANS84

I am going to assume that this is directed at me.

Like I said in a few times before, it is a comparison list. Dunta is not on that list because I was comparing him to other "equals" and/or greaters at that position.

I personally do NOT think that Rasheen Mathis is better than Dunta. But they both are in the tier of younger defensive backs on the elite rise.

16. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

there is a big time disscussion about this over on the pigskinheaven board right now. Half the people are saying that Dunta is in the top ten when the others say Rasheen Mathis(from the jags) is way bettter and more promising than dunta.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Mathis is good but no team in the NFL takes Mathis over Robinson if they were both in the same draft. Jag fans are like a box o' chocolates.

18. It's also difficult to cast your vote for Robinson when he's going up against the other teams #2 reciever or is lined up at the nickel. He wasn't even the best CB on the team last year even though we were ranked 24th in the league in pass defense.

19. TEXANS84

3/4th of that problem applies to the linebackers/linemen putting pressure on the quarterback.
    If no pressure is applied to the QB, then you'll see defensive backs that can't cover.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

it takes time to get the recognition to make these all star lists or best @ position polls, its more a function of lag time not accuratly reflecting reality. Dunta showed enough upside in his rookie season to be the next Deion Sanders, you'd have to be a fool to trade him for any CB in the NFL. That being said he will have to continue his prolific play to be considered amongst the elite in the NFL, most of us here of course should agree that he stands an outstanding chance to accomplish this :thumbup