So Dunta what are you going to do??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texecutioner, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Well I remember a few folks saying early on when the Dunta talks first started saying stuff like until camp starts and if he isn't there, then that's when I'll be upset or that's when I'll worry.

Well we're now way past that and two pre season games into the start of the season and still no Dunta and nothing has really changed. Dunta is still at home sucking his thumb and using his pacifier.

I think it's put up or shut up time for this guy now since we only have two more pre season games. Either come in and sign and get into camp and prove yourself for this season, or well don't show up at all, don't get paid, and we'll officially move on without you. Time to officially make the call Dunta. You should know by now you're in no real position of leverage and you really aren't holding a flush in your hands right now. You're holding on to a pair of Queens at best and that's not going to cut it in negotiations. What is it going to be Dunta?

2. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think it's also time for Rick Smith to get his thumb out and do whatever it is that supposedly "great" GMs do to resolve a contract impasse.

3. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

I like post #1 in this thread better.

4. Runner

Well sure. Why look to BOTH sides of a negotiation to bear responsibility. Black and white thinking is much easier to handle than dealing with messy gray areas.

It will also be enjoyable to read the inevitable posts that the Texans are loaded at secondary and don't need Dunta anyway. That's just more proof Smith has handled these negotiations perfectly. :rolleyes:

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

If you've seen any of the Texans preseason games, you would know that Robinson does have leverage. He's needed on the Texans defense. Gary Kubiak knows that. Rick Smith knows that. Bob McNair knows that.

They also know that they will look foolish by caving in to Dunta's demand of no franchise tag guarantee in 2010. They could have cut that deal in July, and Robinson would have here throughout camp. So if they want to get their franchise CB on the team prior to Week 1, the front office has to make a choice. Do they want to (not) look foolish? Or do they want to do everything possible to have a playoff team in 2009? What are the Texans going to do?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Double Barrel likes this.
  6. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Maybe where the FO looks foolish is not picking up a reputable CB in the draft or FA in the frist place! Dunta is unhappy, and regardless of what the FO does, he's not gonna play well this year. Is Dunta worth all the hype? You guys have been discussing this issue for months, and looks like the discussions continue. He's made his fair share of screwups in the past also. To me, the question is: will we be better off with him or without him. Our secondary plays like they did the past two games, esp last Sat, and I'd say an unhappy Dunta would be better than what we have right now. This is something we as fans have known for months!!! WHY didn't RS, Bush, and Kubes not know this?? Maybe they're not as great as some of you on this board think they are. JMO! The screwup started in the front office. If they wanted Dunta bad enough to place a franchise tag on him this saga should have been settled a LONG time ago, and Dunta would be on the field rather than basking in the limelight at home.

Both sides needs to have their heads examined.

7. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Reputable GMs let their players walk.

8. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

If we don't put more pressure on the QB and DL it wouldn't matter if we had Darrell Green.

9. Runner

I was under the impression GMs were also responsible for acquiring and keeping good players. I also think they have some accountability for the product on the field.

If all they have to do is let players walk, I think I'd like to apply for that high paying gig.

======

I also think Dunta should sign the tender.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'd agree with this if Dunta Robinson had proven in the past that he was as much of a shutdown cornerback as he thinks he is and could put stop great receivers consistently but his playing history does not bear this out. He's just the most expensive, highest selected "average" cornerback that we (would) have on the roster. I see where the need is but I don't see this man being able to do much to address it.

I guess he'll bring his magical Dunta "everybody plays better when I'm out there" powers and make it all good. Regardless I do think the organization should go ahead and give him his no franchise tag next year promise. I mean, why not? I'd have a press conference to announce it and tell everybody "You know, this one is on us. I mean really, what were we thinking? We franchised THIS guy? Does anyone have him rated as even one of the top 20 CB's in the game today? Has he had a single season that equaled his rookie campaign?" Hell, I'd like to un-franchise him if I could but we'll play the game and here's our word in writing. We won't franchise you again in 2010 Dunta. Now get in here and try and convince the rest of the world that somebody should pay you what you think you're worth".

Seriously, I'd give him what he wants and piss him off at the same time just to see what kind of player came in. Then I'd draft damn near nothing but DB's next year and move on.

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think he meant that they know when it's time to let players walk and when to put the screws down on them and keep them right here. In Dunta's case we probably should have gone ahead and given him what he wanted after franchising him. Smith should just accept that he won the 2009 battle but Dunta will be gone in 2010 and be happy with that.

12. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

100% agree, Dunta will not fix 90% of the issues we have with our defense, it starts up front and if those guys get no penetration or get blown off the ball allowing linemen to into the LB's with little to no effort, it's going to be a LONG year for the defense.

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am not sure how Dunta would have helped our DTs not get pushed around like rag dolls against the Saints.

14. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Fixed it for you.

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Personally, I think Cushing who has already signed a contract will be of more use to us when he starts playing, rather than Dunta. JMO.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

Post of the month.

I, too, have been on the "Draft nothing but DBs in the next draft" bandwagon.

Excellent post.

17. Runner

So the Texans are weak at secondary. Again.

And the Texans are weak at DT. Again.

This is a long running pattern. Can this organization change it this year? Do we count on them to fix it in just one more draft/free agency period?

18. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

When was the last time Philly, New England, Indy, or Pittsburgh caved on a contract demand? Even the Titans let Haynesworth walk.

19. Runner

I'm not sure what this list of teams has to do with my thoughts that GMs are responsible for acquiring and keeping good players, but I'll play.

I don't know the answer to your question. I have one for you though. When was the last time any of these teams had as many consecutive non-winning seasons as the Texans? How about half as many?

If the Texans had any semblance of the success of these teams, maybe the front office would have earned the slack many are giving them. That slack is starting to look more and more like rope to me.

20. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

How does he have any leverage? If he wants to get paid he will be suited up week one for the Jets.

Dunta will be in the lineup this year when the games matter. If he plays well then we can offer him a contract at the end of the season, if he doesn't agree to it we can franchise him again. And if he has a bad season, we let him walk.

Sure it would be nice to have the guy in camp but I don't see how he has any leverage.

thunderkyss likes this.