SN:Texans camp countdown: Offense is playoff-worthy, but D doesn't pass the grade

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/art...wn-offense-playoff-worthy-d-doesnt-pass-grade

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

from the article:
    True, very true, and also completely obvious. The key to this year is defensive improvement, if that doesn't happen, we don't compete like we want to.

3. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

4. False Start

False Start On # 69

:ok:

5. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i dont think the d-line is 'solid'. doesnt rush the passer well (bar mario) and just about average in stopping the run

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Interesting article but I think the writer overrates the DL just a tad. For all intensive purposes Mario has been a 1 man pass rush and nobody other than him stands out against the run or the pass. Okoye showed flashes the first half of his rookie season, Bulman is a good change of pace high motor type player, but other than that we dont deserve the "close to dominant" label the writer gives us. Hopefully Okoye makes the jump Mario made and someone emerges at NT, sprinkle in Antonio Smith not being Anthony Weaver and Connor Barwin being someone other than Mario that QBs have to look out for and maybe the DL will be a solid unit!

7. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I've been wondering about this. We constantly hear from NFL-people that we have a very talented defensive line. Lance Zierlein, prior to our opening game last season, said his dad focused on our d-line and was very worried about it, I remember getting a lot of praise from a coach last season about the d-line (Belichick I want to say,) and now this "opponent" parrots those sentiments.

It seems to be unanimous among people in the game (re: not pundits, but people in the know) that we have a very talented defensive line. Yet, we aren't realizing that potential. Is the switch to Bush and Kollar going to help bring it out? Will the upgrade at LB have a positive effect? Or will it be same story, different season?

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

So we have Dunta an Demeco on defense behind our DL, and those are our only 2 "starters"? Yeah, right... this guy only cares about name recognition

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Maybe the DL wasn't a solid unit last year but this year I think the Texans have enough tools in place to start becoming a solid unit. TJ better start getting his game more up to par or I don't see him being the Texans roster much longer. Now that there is different coaching in place maybe TJ's game will improve significantly to ensure him a spot on the roster same goes for Amobi. As for Smith and Barwin they should help out the pass rush if not this year then certainly down the line as they both learn together the way the way the Texans run their D plays which will help out the play of the second dary in a huge way.

10. LZ

LZ Veteran

I think the feeling on the defensive line pre-season vs. postseason was much different.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I agree with most of this analysis. The DL IS very talented but they have been very poorly coached and put into situations that don't suit the talents of the players. This is very obvious and commented on constantly. Are Bush and Kollar the answer? We're about to find out. I think the LB corps was better than expected last year but still not up to snuff. I've never heard ANYONE but the opponent analysis guy say Ryans is OVERrated. He's been the one standout at LB we've ever really had. The guy hit the secondary on the head. Reeves wasn't as bad as he seemed last year, but was still FAR from dominant. IMO he needs to work on his neck flexability. He can't turn to look for the ball for sh*t. All in all, I think we're in for a much more productive season on the D side because of a change in scheme, better personnel at some key positions and MW and DRYANS are being great leaders.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

This team reminds me of the Rams team before Lovie Smith took over the D (Smith used his successful stint as Rams DC to land the Bears HC job). Before Smith, the Rams were all high powered offense and a defense only a Mother would love. Perhaps Bush can do what Lovie did for that SB bound Rams team.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Vinny, I like the analogy. I was so angry last year at the soft and unaggressive defense. If a team has a potent offense, it only makes sense to be aggressive on defense, makes some plays- even at the expense of giving up more big plays. At the end of the day, if our defense increases the tempo of the game, the end result is a couple more posessions a game for our best unit: offense. I'm encouraged that we actually will see an aggressive defense this season. As long as they can make plays, I won't cry over them giving up some long TDs in the second quarter.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Smith brought an uptempo style to the Rams just like what Bush is trying to install here...a more of an attacking style, instead of a more passive read and react with the front 7
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/17/sports/football-lovie-smith-turns-rams-defense-around.html

15. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

well good thing our divison isnt a pass happy Divison other then the colts who i think will regress this season

IMO aganist Titans Jags and COlts our team will not need to get to the QB maybe just pressure him and play zone all the teams will throw short yardage dinks and dunks