Small Consolation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by D-Rob23, Nov 21, 2005.

1. D-Rob23

D-Rob23 Veteran

Jerome Mathis is Now Ranked #1 in the NFL { Kick Return Average }
    32 for 1025 Yards
    32.0 Avg. per Kick Return
    2 Tds

:texflag:

2. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I had posted earlier that Mathis could deserve a Pro Bowl for KR but he needed a couple more big performances and he delivered. #1 in the NFL in average yards per return, #3 in total yards despite only returning kicks for 6/10 games, only NFL player with 2 TDs on kick returns. Too bad Buchanon is the returner for our team on the pro bowl ballot.

3. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

It would be nice if the geniouses who made the Pro Bowl ballot put him on there. He is the only one that deserves to go.

4. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

The problem with him is that he's not healthy week in and week out. He played terrific yesterday but he might sit out the next two games. Let's hope he can stay healthy and on the field because he's our best offensive weapon this year...

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Our only thing to look at and smile about.

6. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Plus, the only time he touches the ball is when the other team scores. Why does he not return punts??

7. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Terrance McGee is almost a lock for that with the New York market watching. I would be seriously surprised if Mathis made it.

8. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Buchannon is very good at returning punts (36yd return last night) and he has never done that before. I think he was a kick returner at Hampton, but he didnt do punts. It seems like it is harder to return punts because its harder to judge... last year when Mosses was hurt and Glenn was returing, he droped or misjudged one every game...

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

it would be awesome to see mathis go to the probowl and compete in the fastest man competition!!

10. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

Do you have to be selected to the Pro Bowl to compete in the fastest man competition? :hmmm:

If so........:thumbdown

11. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Several reason I guess. One is that punts are more "dangerous" as the returner is under more pressure than the kick returner, more prone to make mistakes, fumbles.. that sort of stuff. Second reason, injuries. I think they want to limit his time on the field so that he, hopefully, can get well. So if he's to do anything on the field, kickoffs is it.

12. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

According to today's Chronicle, "He caught a ton of punts in training camp," Capers said. "We kind of worked him overtime in that area. I think Jerome can be our punt returner."
    :texflag:

13. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

A PR needs to have more side-to-side agility like Buchanon because you're not going to have a running lane develop for you, and Buchanon is quicker than Mathis for that. On a KR you have 10-15 yards to get running in a straight line and have a wall of blockers opening a lane but on PRs you are pretty much left on your own with 1-2 blockers around. Mathis has shown better side-to-side agility than I thought he had, but still I'd rather have Buchanon back there. Not sure what they'll do if Buchanon is hurt, but I know I don't want our starting RB back there like last game. McGee has been better known and has put up a decent KR average so he will be a stiff challenge and of course everyone knows Dante Hall so he will compete too, although he doesn't have Mathis' numbers. I think putting up 266 yards and a TD in prime time will help Mathis' case. He has two different 266-yard games this year which is I think the fourth most single-game total ever and he's done it twice now.

14. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

He has to go. Almost every year, someone from every team makes it. There's no one else even close to being pro bowl caliber.

15. yaboycm

yaboycm Veteran

Mathis To Hawaii!!!!!

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Chad Stanley!! :yahoo:

I know, it's sad. :(

17. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Yea, it could be Stanley...