Slaton's extra weight

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texecutioner, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Carr Bombed, myself, and a few others discussed this after the 3rd pre season game, and apparently some of the staff has noticed the same thing which may have caused them to get a tad bit worried as well. Here is a little report that came from my Yahoo Fantasy envelope on Yahoo that states the exact same thing a few of us were saying like two weeks ago.

"RB Steve Slaton has the Texans a bit nervous entering the opener. He hit the weight room in the offseason -- not the banquet table -- and increased his weight to 215 when he reported to camp from his college weight of around 195. He wanted the extra weight and extra strength to help him withstand punishment from tacklers and to benefit his blocking. Slaton didn't play a lot in preseason, and what he did wasn't impressive. He carried 22 times for 64 yards. He averaged 2.9 yards a carry. His long run was nine yards. The Texans open against the Jets, who had a stout run defense before Rex Ryan was hired from Baltimore, where he had a defense that was suffocating against the run."

2. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

His preseason was a bit worrisome, and I've expressed worry in his weight gain since the first report came out about it. But, the preseason is no measure for that. It takes a number of carries for Slaton to be effective in a game. As the game wears on, he wears on the defense, causes them to guess more, and opens up the possibility for big plays. With the limited touches and toned done scheme of the preseason you're not going to get him in his true form.

That's not to say that the weight gain isn't an issue, but the preseason isn't the right time to draw a conclusion on whether it is.

Hervoyel likes this.
  3. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

It might be an issue when Brwon looked better than Slaton in pre-season. I think he looked fat and slow.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Hopefully, his 10% weight gain will not translate into a 10% decrease in production.

5. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

I think throughout history most of the elite backs performed around 205.

6. Texecutioner

I'm worried not only as a Texan fan but as a fantasy owner as well. I didn't see that burst in him at all in pre season.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Im not worried. Sometimes running backs need time to get it going. The only time he got more than 5 carries in a game was against the Vikings, one of the top running teams last year. Add to that we were starting 2 non-starters on our OL, and I think we need to wait until the first couple games to see if it is really something to be concerned with

8. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Considering the Texan's history, "don't worry it's only pre-season" is not a valid argument anymore. I hope he lights it up Sunday, but I'm not expecting it. We also don't have the luxury of waiting a couple of games. The time to attack is now.

9. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Not worried. The pass opens the run for us and we were without Pitts and Myers for most of the preseason.

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

One more thing:

I checked the stats of the 2 rushing leaders for their respective conferences: Adrian Peterson (NFC) and Thomas Jones (AFC)
    Peterson's preseason stats from 2008: 20 carries, 51 yards (2.55 ypc)
    He had 1750 yards (4.8 ypc) in the regular season

Jones' preseason stats from 2008: 12 carries, 29 yards (2.4 ypc)
    He had 1310 yards on 290 carries (4.5 ypc) that year

b0ng likes this.
  11. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Exactly. I'm sure it happens everywhere but I don't think there is any fan base in the world that can push the panic button as fast as us Houston fans.

Look if it works out for Slaton, great. If not, he better stop lifting the weights and get back out on the track.

12. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

The KC game it was muddy and that took away Slaton's agility which is his greatest weapon.

The NO game he ran well imo and got extra yards where none of our other backs could.

Nobody runs well against MINN.

It was preseason and we were missing 2 starting OL for the bulk of it. I wouldn't be too worried about it, as quick as he packed on the extra weight I dont think he can sustain it throughout an NFL season. I think he'll naturally lose the weight while maintaining extra strength from his offseason workouts and get down to about 200-205 around midseason. We should see a RB who can push the pile a bit better while also maintaining his trademark explosiveness in space.

13. Texecutioner

Well a lot of us are quick to push the panic button because we haven't had any real level of success yet, and we're still one injury away from having our season go down the drain. We still aren't that deep enough of a team or balanced of a team to where if a player like Slaton or Johnson had a bad year we'd still be a real good team. We don't have a good enough defense to off set our offense not being that good. Hell we really don't have a good defense at all, so we need the offense to carry this team, and Slaton's a huge part of our offense. Plus, we still have a QB that can't seem to stay on the field either where injury is always a concern with him, so the last thing we want to have to worry about is under achieving at other positions with other star players. We're just not deep enough to where we can't worry about the small things. We haven't had any real success to have that stronger confidence yet.

thunderkyss likes this.
  14. Texecutioner

Did Peterson gain extra weight like Slaton did? I don't think so. And as good as Slaton is, he's nowhere near Adrian Peterson. Plus, we don't have a back up that's a bad ass like Chester Taylor is if Slaton were to get hurt or if Slaton were to under perform. Slaton is all we have and we "need" him to have another season like last year or this team goes nowhere.

Jones had been a proven back for many years. Plus, Washington was right there behind him as well. Again, they have quality depth back there at RB.

15. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

The only game where Slaton really looked off to me was KC. The field conditions were poor that game, and, even with the extra weight, Slaton is nobody's idea of a "mudder". Fortunately, we'll only have to worry about the field conditions in five games this season (presuming another Ike doesn't blow through here in the next couple of weeks--KNOCK ON WOOD).

I thought Slaton looked really good against the Saints. He had one no-gain run and four other runs of between 6-9 yards. Super Bowl champions are built on seven-yard-runs, so he was about the only starter I was really happy with from that game.

The Williams Wall is best interior D-Line in the NFL, and we faced them with 2/3 of our interior OL out of action. Slaton didn't exactly rip this team up last season, either.

Of course, it could be said that these are really arguments rather than assurances. We just won't know if such worries are justified for another 48 hours.

GuerillaBlack likes this.
  16. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

When there are quite a few doubters and/or worriers, I think I will take that Las Vegas odd of 4-1/2. Even if we only beat the Jets by one point, I will be happy! :devilpig:

17. D-Frank

D-Frank Veteran

the the that worries me is Slatons strenth is his quickness to full speed, without that he is another normal RB. He looked a bit sluggish BUTTTTTTT
    it was pre season, this weekend we will either be able to kill this thread or could be a 15 page ordeal. I hope he still has it

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

An interesting piece on 200 meter sprinters (not NFL running backs). But some extrapolation could be made. Secret for sprinters told: Get stronger but not heavier

19. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I'm not too worried. Last year Slaton wasn't very consistent either. He's a guy who will run 5 times in a row for one or two yards, then BANG busts one for 20+.

20. Texecutioner

That's what some people are worried about with the extra weight though. With the extra weight will he still be able to bust one for 40 to 60 yards and have that same burst? It's a very legit question right now.