Slaton

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheIronDuke, Sep 26, 2010.

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Thought he needed his own thread. He's completely useless. Put him at RB and all of a sudden runs get stuffed. Let him return kicks and you're lucky to start at the 15. I can't believe how far he's fallen. Remember, he really should have been offensive ROY just 2 seasons ago. Anyone wanna see someone else besides him returning kicks because I sure as hell do.

2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

They need to stop trying to run Slaton up the middle. I don't know why they kept doing that. Use Slaton for screens and runs to the outside.

3. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

This. Slaton cold be very useful you use him right. We don't ever see pitches or tosses to Slaton which he excels at.

4. Mr. Texan

Mr. Texan I'm A Texan

I don't know what to think with Slaton.

he doesn't fit the zone running scheme we have now.

he is not a good kick returner.

at this point i would say maybe have Slaton play a similar role that Reggie Bush plays in New Orleans as a slot receiver/ open field screen/checkdown guy.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Weren't we running the ZBS his rookie season? We also used to send him wide, I'd kind of like to see Slaton and Foster on the field at the same time if that would make his roster spot worthwhile.

6. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I don't think Slaton is overrated enough to be used as a decoy. :whip:

7. Eddie

Eddie Rookie

Slaton needs to sit it down for awhile..He runs with his head down and it looks like he is scare to get hit..Somebody else needs to step up on kick returns.. What ever happen to all the other guys that were supposed to be kick returners????:gun:

8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

and yet somehow he averaged 4.7 yds/carry. Of course he only got 3 carries. Add the one dump-off he got for 3 yds and that's four offensive touches for a 4+ ypt average.
    Is that Slaton's fault?

Now I agree with you on the kickoff return point. We have GOT to have a better option there.

9. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

What was it last year against Cincy slaton was deadly with those screens? I even remember playbook talking all about how we are using him in spaces, linemen attacking downfield,etc. I cant remember seeing them much since. Are we saving those plays or something?

10. BullsOnParade

BullsOnParade Go Texans!

Slaton wasn't productive running the football because the line couldn't block a damn when he got a chance. I'm not sure why Slaton isn't our designated 3rd down RB, maybe he sucks at pass protection...? Someone clue me in.

I know Arian had that sweet 3rd down conversion, but I think that's rather atypical. Slaton can take it to the house, but he needs somes space. And with the playcalling and blocking he got today, there wasn't any room.

Now as for kickoff returns, we've got to make a change. Slaton has shown me absolutely NOTHING. Dude has been turrible on special teams. Maybe he's not a returner, which I'm ok with...but I know we got a pretty damn good one in #12.

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

So the line fails to run block only when Slaton is in the game? Funny how Foster looks fine behind the same line, hmmm?

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

I dont think Slaton is bad. I just dont understand why the defense is soooo ready for him when he gets the ball. No holes. No open grass. Just defenders everywhere.

And yes, I want to see Jacoby taking KR duties.

Slaton on screens and stretch plays.

S

13. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

They need to trade him he isn't helping at all and it seems like he lost his confidence since he is not the starter. Please draft another explosive back next year to catch out of the backfield and bring speed to the offense because Steve Slaton has lost it.

14. Playmaker

Playmaker Veteran

I cringed when Ben Tate and Trindon Holliday went on the IR, not because I expected big things from them initially, but I knew that meant more times that Slaton would get the ball.

After this year, I really hope we get more RB depth and a viable KR, so we can let Slaton go.

15. Goatcheese

He looks fine in the offense(should get more looks in the passing game) and is averaging 4.8 ypa. Foster was getting stuffed at the line quite a bit too, and Slaton actually seems to break more tackles.

He should never, ever, in a million years, even if he is the only person on the roster with functional legs... return another kick.

... ever...

...Never... ever....

Never...

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

People keep dogging on Slaton running the ball, but he is getting almost five yards a carry. And that is with Kubiak and company running him up the middle for some odd reason. If they ran some sweeps, screens, and maybe a few draws (like the nice one we saw today), then Slaton would be more effective.

17. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Slaton is only put in to get Foster a break. He's not near where he was during his breakout season and he likely won't be this year, if ever. I still don't know why he's the kickoff returner. With the exception of the one decent return his MO is:
    Catch the ball
    Run towards the big group coming downfield then shuffle his feet, trying to decide if he can make a move
    or
    Run directly at the pile of players
    Get tackled before reaching the 20

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yes. Today he averaged 4.7 YPC. He had 3 carries for 14 yards. His long was 16 yards. FOURTEEN YARDS. WITH A LONG OF SIXTEEN.

I know, math is not my strong suit, so I'll let it go.

19. Goatcheese

That's how he was his rookie year and people didn't complain.

Stuffed, stuffed, 12, stuffed, stuffed, 72.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

No, I complained. Never been a fan. Slaton might have had the most overrated 1200 yard season ever.