Slaton or Brown?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hardcore Texan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I love me some Steve Slaton like most of us here, but there is no denying that he had ball security issues today, many of them. Last week he fumbled in the RZ as well. Brown came in today and made some positive things happen. I am wondering if we will see Brown play a more prominant role, maybe even start and Slaton be more of a situational/3rd down back.

I amn not advocating anything....yet, so don't flame me, just thinking out loud. Kubiak hates not taking care of the ball, it's the fastest way to find the bench on this team. For my money, I think Shanahan will find a way to find good playing time for both, keeping those legs fresh.

2. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Ouch. Last year it was Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson. Times have changed.

I expect better things from Slaton the next few games. We shall see.

3. Hardcore Texan

Me too, he is a resiliant young man and a gamer, he will get it turned around but it's nice to see Brown healthy and contributing.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If we want to win games and go to the playoffs we have to protect the ball and that message has to come across nice and clear and Steve is no exception to the rule. Start Chris Brown. Even if for a week to wake up Steve.

5. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Neither!!

THROW THE GOSHDANG FOOTBALL!!!

You stay with what's working!

6. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

It's not just ball security, his vision has gone down hill.

I'd have liked more carries for Brown in the first two games.

It doesn't matter what Slaton did last year, he is not playing well this year in all facets of the game except receiving. I'd start Brown until I see Slaton get yards consistently.

7. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think "down hill" is a bit of an understatement ... if slaton's vision were any worse he'd need a canine assistant. obviously our line needs to step it up, but even when there are lanes slaton's unable to find them and he's started dancing around because of it. that's not even touching the fumbles which are unacceptable. brown's not the threat that slaton is but he's much more consistant, especially when our run blocking is having so much trouble. i think we should lean on brown a bit more, or even have him start games while we try to work our run game back into shape.

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

Trust me no Brown .... that guy is like glass. He will get you all excited then break your heart with some random injury.

Titan fans know to well he seem to get you all excited then disappear.

9. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Slaton has faced a couple of top notch lines in the league so I cut him some slack there. His fumblitis is unusual though, don't recall him doing that much last year.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Who cares, then we'll use him until he breaks.....why save him on the bench when he's healthy? What do you want us to do...save him until he gets hurt in practice? If he's healthy he needs to contribute while he's still healthy.

11. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Guys are jumping the gun a little too soon imo. The Texans just faced two of the top run defenses in the league. They play Jacksonville next. I would start Slaton hoping that he turns on the jets against them. That game could easily change his whole season around, but if he starts out slow against them I agree. Lets see more of Brown.

Hervoyel likes this.
  12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I'd like to see Brown used about the same just sooner in the game. Don't wait, get him in right away and give the defense a pounding with 2 different guys. Oh and RUN BLOCK.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Someone prior to this last game posted that fumbling was not something new for Slaton in college.

I'd like to clarify this claim. Slaton in a loss to Louisville (44-34) had a great game, playing a little over 2 quarters........18 carries for 156 yds. He then had 2 consecutive snap fumbles which helped negatively turn the tide of the game. It turns out that just prior to these plays, he sustained a severe blow to his elbow and was unable to grip the ball. He was quickly thereafter taken out of the game.

Slaton has never left a pattern of fumbling.

14. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

We've gotta get Tom Coughlin to stop by and do whatever he did to cure Tiki Barber's fumbling problem. We cant afford to have Slaton starting if he's gonna cough up the ball every game. We might as well let Jacoby take snaps at running back!!!

15. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

I'm much more worried about the fumbles than the yards per carry.

16. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

This will be one of the easier calls for Kubiak, if he continues to fumble he's going to have to sit.

Don't care if he has back to back 100 yard games and running over people if he continues to fumble then he'll have to sit on the bench. Turnovers are a killer for this team and can't happen.

17. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

He had Barber carry the ball higher against his chest. The issue I see with Slaton is he looks like he is trying to run too hard. And when he does that the ball slips off his chest a little and he stops squeezing the ball. I am betting he can turn it around pretty quickly. Thats a simple study game film and then get in the right mind frame when you have the ball issue.

Here is to Slaton getting in the right mind frame against the Jags next week.

18. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I just want Brown to get earlier touches. When Slaton struggles, you have to spell him a bit, then come back to him. Maybe give Moats a few carries.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Both. We've got to keep trying to pound the ball in order for the offense to work correctly. I don't care who gets the bulk of the carries, but we need them both to keep on keepin on.

20. Hardcore Texan

Without an effective running game the play action won't work and the D will just pin their ears back and go after Schaub all day long.