Slaton.......Now You See Him.......Now You Don't

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 7, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Steve Slaton on the outs in Houston

How do you showcase him while not stealing practice time from the RBs that will be relied on when the real season begins.......if it ever does?

2. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

I would say the order of backs is Foster, Ward, Tate, Slaton.

We know what Foster can do, he does not need serious carries in preseason or a ton of practice time. Same with Ward. He did well in the system last year, so he does not need the extra touches. Tate could certainly use the work, but again, he will be the third back. I could see a situation where in preseaon(if there is one) Foster is in for the first series, Ward the second, and Slaton plays through the third. Then Tate comes in and works in the fourth to ease him in.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

How does that "showcase" Slaton?

4. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Playtime alone I guess... alternative was him sitting on the bench through it all ?

5. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Well it would essentially let him play the majority of the touches. The first 2 series would probably take up most if not all of the first quarter. So in essence, he would be in there for the second and third quarters. He would be "showcased" against the starters and second team, and some third teamers and get half the game.

6. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I'm not big on preseason reps for bigtime players. Arian Foster could sit the whole preseason out and it wouldn't make a difference to me. Maybe a series per game, MAYBE. Ward gets about 5 touches a game, let Slaton try to do work against somewhat lesser competition to make him look good, maybe sneak a 4th/5th outta someone. Give Tate hopefully more than 1 carry before his season is over, see what we have in the youngster. I don't see a lot to get miffed about here.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Last thing I want to see is Arian Foster getting seriously injured in a meaningless preseason game.

In the past, we HAD to get all the RBs as many reps in preseason as we could...because we were so terrible at RB and we needed to put those guys into the grinder and see what came out (so that we could evaluate and decide who would be the starter in the reg season). Not anymore.

I want Arian Foster in there for the first series to pop pads and stay sharp. Then I want him on the sideline. Same goes for Ward, IMO.

Tate needs the reps. Slaton needs to be "showcased."

I'd play Slaton against the opponent's second and third stringers, to rack up as many highlights as he can. Teams won't care that it was against second and third stringers--They will be impressed by his moves, his tenacity, and will want him. Putting him in there vs. the opponent's starters risks getting Slaton shut down and frustrated and basically impossible to move out of Houston in a trade, IMO.

What we get for him is a whole other discussion. A 3rd rounder would be awesome. Might have to settle for a 4th though. Regardless, getting something back for him is still better than cutting him outright or losing him in free agency.

We need him to understand that he's done here. I would imagine that his agent has already had that talk with him, and that it's understood by all parties that he's essentially auditioning this preseason for his new team.

If there even IS a preseason. Which I don't think there will be.

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Rookie

Is Trindon Holiday coming back at kickoff returns?

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

In preseason, in the interest of getting ready for the real one, I say we PUNT every time we get the ball. :tiphat:

PS-Somebody please tell Kubiak not to do that in the real games.

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Ward is good, but he's doesn't have the potential that Tate does. With a shortened practice season though, this gives Ward the advantage. Eventually though, this will turn out to be the Foster and Tate show.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Lord, I hope so. SS was horrible returning kicks.
    I think it's a good plan to "showcase" his talents and see what we can get for him.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I think it's a pipe dream to think teams are going to give up much, if anything at all, for this guy. He is a fumble waiting to happen, looks tentative and lost at times, and is a zero in the return game.

Someone explain to me why a team give up more than a late rounder at best. In fact, I think we'll be lucky to get that. RB's are a dime a dozen. They will just wait to see if the Texans release him. And if they lose him to someone on the waiver wire, big deal.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I have nothing but positive feelings for Steve moving forward & wish him all the best :tiphat:

NitroGSXR likes this.
  14. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

Not that I think we'll get much for him but if RB's are a dime a dozen did it take so long for us to get a decent one??

Oh yeah Smithiack..

15. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Anybody else see where the little back from the Houston area, Jacquizz Rodgers who played for Oregan State, go to ATL - 5th round. There's just
    no point in giving up high draft picks for backs ? I have no idea why NOLA used a 1st rounder on Heisman trophy winner Ingram ?

16. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

They needed another "decoy"?

disaacks3 likes this.
  17. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Didn't we think Davis was going to be the guy? Stupid injuries.

18. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Sorry I disagree Foster had a great season, but that doesn't mean he's going to produce ever season. He still has to show he can consistently put the #'s up and keep his attitude and issues in check.

He's not proven yet IMHO.

19. Rey

Rey Guest

I'm not sure how you can disagree with the quote you took from GP....

So you DO want to see Foster injured in a meaningless pre-season game?

Regardless of whether he has proved it over time or not, as of right now and heading into next season he is our franchise caliber starting RB.

If he is going to fail, let him fail in the regular season. Makes no sense to say, "ok Arian, despite leading the league in rushing last year and staying healthy all year we want you to prove yourself in these pre-season games"....

I get the point you are making, but I disagree with your disagreeing about having Arian grind it out in pre-season...

Texas T and NitroGSXR like this.
  20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I agree with the 1st part. He's had one great season. We've been bit by this bug before. He has to string a few years of production together. I'm not sure what you mean by his attitude and issues, though. I haven't heard anything really negative about him. He's kind of an odd duck, but that doesn't mean he has a bad attitude.