Slaton @ Halftime - "I wanted to run the ball,"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Good thing he approached Kubiak I guess. I was wasn't happy early in the game when we ran the ball well, then we started chunking the ball and Sage almost throws a pick...then we put out our version of the Wildcat offense. I call it the Wildcrap offense where you put in a WR instead of a running back and watch him run around like a chicken with his head cut off on National TV. Slaton gets up to full speed faster than any back I've seen here. He may not be the fastest player on the field but he is running at top speed in a matter of a few steps.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=4943

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281201034

Wolf likes this.
  2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

So much for Mr. "dead legs" huh........can we all agree now that Kubiak was just blowing crap out of his behind during that press conference? My geuss is Mr. Steve got tired of the media BJ given to Chris Johnson even when he had had better stats most of the year. Steve Slaton is legit.....just need to find that "bash" (to quote a Titan) player.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I thought we had all agreed on that two weeks ago?

4. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

It was a nice try I thought. It's not like we wasted a bunch of plays on offense to see if it would work. Just one of those things where you try to catch the defense sleeping. Didn't work.

Good players know how to communicate with the coach, and good coaches know how to respond. I thought we coached one of our best games of the season today.

The MNF viewers should be impressed with the Texans tonight.

5. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

If we run the Wildcat, we should at least put OD back there.

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

drunk post. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  7. Vinny

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

follow vonta friggin leach! even on the smash screen release or both going untouched to the endzone vonta's the spear head. likewise great blocking schemes by gibbs and kubiak. the first run is my favorite though because it showcases leach, scheme, and slaton is "slippery" is the best term - he's got incredible balance.

10. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

I thought that Slaton had some bruised ribs or something a couple weeks back...I really don't see all the hate people are throwing at Kubiak. Kubiak thought Slaton needed a little time off, so he didn't play him heavily one game, then, the next two games Slaton plays exceptionally well. Can we at least attribute SOME credit to Slaton's good play to a little rest during the season? I mean, especially now where we have no legit backup, Slaton is going to be getting a lot of play calls his way, and I'd rather have a rested Slaton than one who might be running out of gas.

11. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Leach is the man! :)

12. Vinny

I'm not gonna give Kubiak "credit" for Slaton being good because he stated he "rested" Slaton for the Colt game. The season was on the line when Kubiak stated he "rested" Slaton vs the Ratbirds...it's been a different season since we lost the Ratbird game and consequently lost all hope for the playoffs in that game. "A little rest during the season" during such a pivotal game was weak coachspeak in my eyes. A great move for a team that has a losing mentality. He had to go in and grab the coach by the shirt Monday night....give him the damn ball. What did we save him for anyway? Garbage time?

13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

He's been injured and I don't think they ever said when exactly Slaton got the chest bruise

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

So maybe our defense got better because Dunta or Mario walked up to Kubiak and told him we need to blitz more.

I was seeing and thinking the same thing when we suddenly just stopped trying to run on these guys after doing it fairly well for a quarter. It's like we got up by 10 and then suddenly Kubiak and Shanahan decided to start trying to get cute on national television. I was screaming at my TV and pulling my hair out watching them pull that junk out.

I think that this story could be cause for concern. Kubiak shouldn't need to have players come up to him and tell him what he's doing wrong in order to get the gameplan back on track. I hope this is nothing more than an amusing anecdote and not indicative of what's really driving our attack.

15. Vinny

He had a 70 yard run called back in that same game.....I still call BS since all the players are hurt this time of year.

16. Vinny

It's not gonna shock you but Kubiak said....
    Where have we heard that before?

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't want to take anything away from Slaton, but he was completely untouched on his TD runs. There were holes large enough to drive my Chevy through without hitting the mirrors. Congrats to the Oline are in order as well if you ask me.

That said, I'm happy we finally have a RB with great speed and vision. I still want another RB to pair with him though.

:texflag:

18. Vinny

Slaton gets to full speed faster than any back I've seen here at this franchise...just takes a couple of steps and bam, hes running full speed...don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

True. If you can't be effective when you're dinged up you're damn near useless to an NFL team because everybody is going to play at least 6-8 games a year "dinged up" in the best of seasons.

I can't help but think that Slaton was fine and that Kubiak is overthinking this stuff a lot of the time and/or just throwing some bull out there to answer the questions which makes him look foolish once it's quoted and people get a chance to mull it over.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree, Vinny. It's speed we've never seen in the back field.

Please don't get me started on Dayne. He would've missed the holes anyways.