SI's Overrated/Underated

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TexanAddict, Apr 23, 2008.

1. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

SI.com has it's annual Overrated/Underrated players in this year's draft by position. The arcticle is here.

A couple notable excerpts:

These are two I've been wondering about myself. Both these players going into last season were thought to be at the top of their respective positions and had solid senior seasons. I remember many board members being upset when Baker didn't come out last year, and Cason was being mentioned as the best corner in the country. Both play positions that the Texans need to address. Why aren't either of these players getting more mention now?

:texan:

2. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I know Baker had some hamstring injuries, and I have read he was inconsistent. I didn't watch enough of his play specifically to give much beyond repeating what the so-called draft experts say.

I do like Cason as well. I would have no problems with him if he is the selection even at #18, altough I think he can be had in a trade down scenerio. I would put the odds of trading down at 20%. I think many teams will attempt it, and it's a buyers market rather than a sellers market.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Baker's short arms and Cason's slow timed speed spread like wildfire across the vast space of the internet suddenly turning them into 3rd rd picks. I just hope our scouts and coaches are watching plenty of game film on these two because as 4-year starters, there's plenty on them! I think some players that once were ranked towards the top of their position are pushed down because of one 'flaw' while others are pushed up because they're 'newer' or more unknown. See McKelvin and Rodgers-Cromartie. Tons of upside causing them to be the more 'sexy' picks and internet draft niks casually forget about their flaws/negatives...

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think the Sam Baker thing has to do with that OL from USC that Philly picked a while back, causing teams to feel that just because you came from a dominant program doesn't mean you can perform on this level.

5. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

i think baker will be a steal, probably a 14 yr pro. cason looks good too. i hate that we don't have a second rounder

6. TexanAddict

A couple from the other side of the coin:

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I don't understand this part.

Most "expert" predictions had Cason at about 4.55 & he ran a 4.49.

If he was a 1st rounder last year when you thought he ran a 4.55 then why has his stock dropped when he was faster than expected?

8. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I really like Cason.

I also agreed with this one:

Underrated: Philip Wheeler, Georgia Tech

This guy was awesome in the ACC for the last couple of years. Easily one of the best linebackers in the ACC the last couple of years. That includes Ernie Sims, and Lawrence Timmons. Wheeler closes so fast, it's scary. He's a 6'2 245 pound outside linebacker. He ran a 4.7 at the combine and also pushed up 24 reps on the bench. If anybody noticed he averaged over 6 sacks, and 11 TFL a year for three years playing linebacker.

Here's a good article about ACC linebackers that a guy wrote last August.

I think if you had to rate the ACC linebackers coming out in the draft this year you'd come up with a list that had most of the same guys as this guy does. He's got Vince Hall, Xavier Adibi, Phillip Wheeler, Jolonn Dunbar, and Nick Watkins in his top 5. I'd put Erin Henderson over Dunbar, and I'd even think about putting Geno Hayes in there for Nick Watkins.

I really like Erin Henderson. Big 6-2 1/2 245 pound outside linebacker. Brother of E.J. Henderson. He only ran a 4.7 at the combine, which isn't bad for a linebacker. He plays fast. He's strong, and put up 23 reps at the combine.

Redshirted in his freshman year ('04). Tore his ACL in fall camp of '05 and missed the entire season. He then came back to start 12 games in '06 at weak-side linebacker. Recorded 114 tackles that season with 6.5 TFL, 1 SK, 2 INTs, and 3 FF. He had 133 tackles, 1 SK, and 11 TFL, 1 FF, 4 FR, 1 INT last year in '07 as a redshirt junior.

I think an addition like Wheeler or Henderson would help our team tremendously.

9. TexansSeminole

I don't think it has...he is just flying under the radar.

He ran a 4.5 and also had 20 reps on the bench. He's a complete cornerback.

10. Polo

Polo Guest

I really like Wheeler too Seminole...

I like how the guy plays...

11. TexansSeminole

He plays quick and all out. One of those guys that can hit gaps with extreme quickness, and has been known to lay the wood.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I usually call out the experts on one guy right before the draft.

Last year I was sure that Michael Griffin would be the first safety selected (the unanimous choice around here was Nelson).

And I took a whole lot of heat on this board for remaining adamant that he would play CB or FS in the NFL instead of SS. As it looks right now, I was right last year.

I think I will be right this year too.

My guy this year is Cason. I don't care what Kiper, Mayock, & McShay are saying about him.

I've seen him play for a few years & I saw what he did at the combine. I'm calling out the "experts".

Antoine Cason will be a 1st round pick.

13. TexansSeminole

I agree.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Apparently SI didn't watch any of the tape of 3 years worth of Big 10 competition between Gholson and this years top Draft pick & 30 million-dollar
    man, Jake Long. Word is Long was owned by Gholson in that 3 year series.
    Casone, the Arizona corner, would be a high first rounder if he were a 4.3
    or even 4.4 guy. But he's only 4.5 something and thats why he's not a first half first rounder.
    Big issue with Baker is durability. He's been injured quite a bit and missed time, but he's still a possiblity if Gibbs likes him.

15. Spled

Spled All Pro

From what I saw of Charles last year, one missed tackle and he's gone. He takes over when defenders are tired in the 4th quarter.

16. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'm in agreement with you, just passing on what "the people in the know" are saying about Cason. The guy is a football player not just an athlete and will get drafted in the 1st round or latest top of the 2nd. The later he slips the bigger the steal. I like Cason a lot.

as far as safeties go last year... I remember getting hammered for saying I'd take Laron Landry over Reggie Nelson. oh well. :) Aaron Ross was the Thorpe winner last year- I don't remember specifically but wasn't he thought by most experts to be a 2nd rounder? I think he performed quite well for the Giants this year...

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Sam Baker is going to be a good LT.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Maybe you didn't either.

Gholston only played against Michigan twice.

First time, no sacks.

Second time, 3 sacks. Only one against Long though, as he had to move to the other side due to an injury to a Michigan O-lineman.

19. TexanAddict

The closer the draft gets, the more I like the thought of Cason as a Texan. If there isn't a LT on the board that fits when the Texans are on the clock, I wouldn't mind at all if they looked in Cason's direction, and if they could get him after a trade down, all the better. Something I posted in another thread:

nfldraftcountdown.com

DallasMorningNews

Sounds a lot like Demeco as a DB: high character, smart, and productive.

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

don't know a lot about Rodgers-Cromartie, but McKelvin doesn't have many flaws. shut down Darrius Bowman and other good receivers, great speed and great ability in the return game.