Singletary to interview for Cowboys

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, Jan 30, 2007.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I like this

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2747491

"IRVING, Texas -- Add Mike Singletary to the list of candidates to become coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

The Hall of Fame linebacker will interview Tuesday with team owner Jerry Jones. He'll become the eighth candidate considered to replace Bill Parcells.

Best known for his ferocious play with the Chicago Bears, Singletary is a Houston native who played college football at Baylor. He's been coaching in the NFL since 2003, spending two years with Baltimore and the last two with the San Francisco 49ers.

Another 49ers assistant, offensive coordinator Norv Turner, has been viewed as the front-runner in Dallas, but he returned to the Bay Area following his interview Sunday.

The Cowboys already have hired Jason Garrett and are considering him for the head coaching job or likely will make him offensive coordinator. Defensive coordinators Wade Phillips of San Diego and Gary Gibbs of New Orleans also are being considered.

Jones also has talked to three members of Parcells' staff, including Todd Bowles, who is black, thus fulfilling the league requirement for a minority candidate.

Singletary, 48, retired after the 1992 season and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1998. He spent his post-playing days doing motivational speaking, writing books and co-founding a company that provides leadership training, then got into coaching in 2003.

After failing to land the head coaching job at Baylor, Singletary was hired by Baltimore and spent two seasons guiding the inside linebackers. Mike Nolan was the team's defensive coordinator and when he became the head coach in San Francisco, Singletary followed. He was assistant head coach for linebackers, then named assistant head coach for defense last season.

Parcells resigned last Monday, ending a four-year run in which he went 34-32 and failed to win a playoff game over four seasons.

The Cowboys lost four of their last five games this past season, with defense the weak link.

Jones may not hold a lack of NFL head coaching experience against Singletary; Parcells was the first coach in club history with that on his resume. All five head coaches NFL teams have hired this offseason are first-timers."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

2. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I have heard Mike is one of the people that most people think one day will be a very successful head coach in the league.

3. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I think so too and he brings the respect factor. Most players look up to him and I can't see him taking any crap from anyone. He probably could handle T.O.

4. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I heard the same thing of Parcells, whose way of handling TO seemed to be to ignore him.

5. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

I can't see TO playing on a Singletary run team. Singletary put one of the most vicious hits i have ever seen on Danny White back in the day. Ouch!:ouch:

6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I actually didn't mind how Parcells handled him. He didn't give T.O. what he wanted most...attention. By ignoring him Parcells made it a media thing and less a team thing. I think he was right on when he said.."he likes to suck people in and you people have been sucked." It defused things.

But if Singletary came in I am sure he would want the ability to tell the guy off. I'm nto even sure if they want him back yet although I'm sure JJ loves the attention and will do it.

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I like Singletary, which is why I hope he doesn't get this head coaching gig. Hopefully he'll eventually be a HC on a team that I can root for.

8. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

I still find it very odd that the owner brought in the OC and not the HC. I mean if I was a HC, I would want the man I wanted to run my system, not who I am told will run it...The new HC will end up being a yes man anyways, so it won't be Singletary. Being a first time HC with a staff that is in place for him doesn't sound like a job I would want..

9. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

Don't worry Norv "The Loser" Turner will be the next Dallas yes man.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm with you. I have all the respect in the world for Singletary as a player, person and a coach. It'd be tough seeing him working in Dallas under Skeletor. He should wait for Nolan to be run out of town and take over the niners. By that time he'd have more experience to boot.:shades:

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

From what I've been told from my family up there and from all I have read the Cowboys were pretty disappointed in Peytons departure. They wanted him around when Parcells left. JJ consulted Jimmy J and Troy and they all said Garrett could be a similar guy. They had that window of time to talk to him and hire him so they went with it thinking he could be OC or coach depending on who they surrounded him with. If not, he could be a future coach. With all that said I agree with you that is still doesn't look good for incoming guys though..that they can't have their own people.

12. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Everything is going to work out fine.

13. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I hope not.

Go Texans!
    :redtowel:

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I forgot where I heard it, I'm sure NFL network, but I heard that Singletary had already spoken to Garrett about being his OC if Mike had got a head coaching gig.