Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Since The Texans are Cleanin' House How Bout..

Seriously, as soon as, there is viable replacements for McKinney, weigert and Walker. All are overpaid for their production, but there is nobody to repalce them.

I'm praying that Hodgdon really comes through in training camp and progresses enough to take over for McKinney sometime during the season...

Wiegert was our best lineman in 2003. He blew open holes for DD. The problem was the he was playing injured all of last season. If he plays like 2003 in 2005, he will be fine.

didnt we sign weigert as a free agent, not through the expansion draft? i think the only players on the OL that should be stable for now are pitts, weigert, and wade

You will probably see most of those guys gone. I noticed all the expansion is disappearing. That's cool. Once we start winning with the new guys this will all be over.

The only expansion draft starters we have are Coleman, Walker and Payne.

Wiegert, McKinney, and Wong were FA signings.

We need to find replacement for Mckinney and Wand, unless both really step it up this year in a big way. I am fine with Weigert. I think he will rebound this year, and have a nice season. But, let's face it, there is not one player on the oline that is really a plus player. Wade is slightly above average, everyone else is average or below. We really need to use next years #1 on one of the bigtime LT prospects. That would really solidy the line imo.

We need to find replacement for Mckinney and Wand, unless both really step it up this year in a big way.

Wand deserves at least another season to show us what he can do, if you're gonna replace Wand just because he had a so/so season in his first full season as a starter, then there are quite a few others that should be replaced who haven't done anything at all after several seasons...

If Wand doesn't step it up big time, I see us trading (assuming we have a good season) into the top 10. That will likely cost us our 2007 1st. We desperately need a stud LT. Is is the most blaring weakness on our team.

texan279 said:
Wand deserves at least another season to show us what he can do, if you're gonna replace Wand just because he had a so/so season in his first full season as a starter, then there are quite a few others that should be replaced who haven't done anything at all after several seasons...

That's why I said "unless he steps it up in a major way this year". Wouldn't that be the "another season" you are talking about? Wand was not good last year, any way you sugarcoat it. We need a rock at LT, and I have some doubts whether he is that man, although I think he would be a terrific swing tackle off the bench. He has is "another year", let's hope he can hit it out of the park. :thumbup

That's why I said "unless he steps it up in a major way this year". Wouldn't that be the "another season" you are talking about? Wand was not good last year, any way you sugarcoat it. We need a rock at LT, and I have some doubts whether he is that man, although I think he would be a terrific swing tackle off the bench. He has is "another year", let's hope he can hit it out of the park.

My point is this will be McKinney's 4th season with us and Wand's second full season as a starter, why does Mckinney get 4 seasons to prove something and Wand only gets two?

Because McKinney joined us during our expansion era when every slot was a hole. We have the luxury now of not allowing subpar performances in key positions. Plus LT is the most important line position, especially for a right-handed QB. Who did we have that was an upgrade to McKinney at C over the past couple of seasons?

Because McKinney joined us during our expansion era when every slot was a hole. We have the luxury now of not allowing subpar performances in key positions. Plus LT is the most important line position, especially for a right-handed QB. Who did we have that was an upgrade to McKinney at C over the past couple of seasons?

You are saying it is ok to keep players who underachieve just because they fill a hole for an expansion team? For the money McKinney has made in the past he should have done more than fill a hole. And I don't know what other free agent centers were on the market when we signed McKinney, but for the money we shelled out on him I am sure we could have gotten a much better center.

From what I recall it was a strong OG FA class and a weak C one. McKinney has been overpaid, but such is the way for expansion teams.

mckinney, walker, and bradford should definetly be worried about their jobs...if hodgden has a good training camp he very well might push mckinney for playing time...texan brass seems to be very high on him...at the very least i would think he would push either washington, weary, brown or evans out of their back up roles

TheOgre said:
If Wand doesn't step it up big time, I see us trading (assuming we have a good season) into the top 10. That will likely cost us our 2007 1st. We desperately need a stud LT. Is is the most blaring weakness on our team.

With so much youth in the secondary we may not need to trade up. idonno:

rittenhouserobz said:
With so much youth in the secondary we may not need to trade up. idonno:

lol...I hope this works. Not many teams who just posted their best record ever set about a rebuilding era. Granted, that best record ever was still sub-.500...but some fans are pretty selective about who gets second chances year-to-year versus who should get cut. I guess it's to be expected--everybody has their favorites.

With some time to reflect and consider how the draft went (overall) in the
first round, its clear this was not the year to pick up a premiere LT. I mean
the top tackle taken was not even a LT - I didn't check into recent history
but its probably been some time since that happened. And there was as many guardes/centers taken in the first round as tackles - thats another indication as to how weak the draft in general and the tackle position in particular was this year.
But I'm still surprised we didn't assign a higher priority to picking up a guard
or center. I know the PB might have had something to do with, because we spent our #2 and a #3 for him. Maybe this 5th rounder will amount to something more than a sub, but that's not real likely.

yah it is nunusguy.. Olinemen dont follow the same rules as other positions.

look around the league.. 75% of starting offensive linemen were 2nd day picks.. or undrafted rookie free agents.

Grid said:
Not sure what you're saying there Grid ?
Anyway, as far as OL and second day picks I don't know 'bout most
of the league, but I think all of our guys in ther interior line are first
day picks except McKinney who is like a 4th or 5th rounder.

McKinney is the weak link on the line. He is the cause of at least a few of the sacks that were charged to Wand. IMHO, Wand played solid for the most part, and will only be better this year.

Since we haven't seen much of Weary, M. Brown, Garrick Jones, and others, I really don't know which ones are likely to be gone. B. Evans, on the other hand, I have seen a little of fairly recently. It may just be who he is playing against over in NFLEL, but from what I have seen of Evans over there, he has looked really good. I haven't seen him make many mistakes. I have seen him dominate in the running game, and have only seen him get beat once in the passing game, but he still kept his guy off the QB long enough for the QB to complete the pass. There were a few times in the running game that I saw him push his guy into the the LB or other DLineman, and take them both out of the play. Like I said, it may just be who he is playing against, but so far he has looked really good to me.

Meisterman said:
We let McKinney explore a trade :)

Yes.......PLEASE!!!!!!!

I don't see much downside to replacing this overpaid lineman

Oh how I could'nt agree more. Hopefully this wrassler feller will pan out, and kick Steve's rear-end right to the bench, sooner than later.

Grid said:

look around the league.. 75% of starting offensive linemen were 2nd day picks.. or undrafted rookie free agents.

This may be true and it works for some OL positions, but in order to get the most ideal Lt. I am talking about size and blocking ability, and footwork. You will have to usually draft in the top 10 picks. Next year is a little different. I just hope and pray the Texans get there franchise LT.

I feel McKinney is the weakest link on the line. Weigert and Wade are solid on the right side. They aren't spectacular, but they are good road graders for DD.

McKinney, though, allows to much inside push and not enough drive on run blocking. He isn't going to get better. Hopefully Hodgdon is the future. I'd rather have Washington in there right now, though.

I see this team as 8-8 or 9-7. A slight improvement from last season.

If Palmer doesn't make some adjustments to better protect Carr, I think he will be the scapegoat at the end of the season. I haven't been harsh on Palmer in the past, but Carr better take fewer than 40 sacks this year. If you don't have the O-line talent then increase protection (players staying back to block). That is what the Chargers did and it worked for them.

Back