Signings - When do we start to worry?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Spike, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Spike

Spike Veteran

I have been holding off asking the question, but camp is right around the corner and I haven't seen any updates regarding contract negotiations with OD, Ryans, Dunta or the majority of the rookies.

My hope was that we would get OD and Ryans contracts tied up, as well as all rookies, before the start of camp. If this is the goal - it seems like we have a lot to get done in a short amount of time.

When do we start to worry?

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Last season 4 of the rookies weren't signed until the week of camp.

They have the entire season to work out a deal with OD and D-Ryans if they choose to do so.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/2008Transactions.asp

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  3. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I'd say - for OD and 59, no need to worry until after the first regular season game. Those often go right down to the wire - as Eric Winston's deal did. I think he signed the night before the season opener or the day of.

For the rookies, I see no reason to worry at all at this point. Cushing's deal will probably go right down to the first day of camp, just like Duane Brown and Amobi Okoye. The other rookies will probably sign any time now, with Barwin coming in the final week before camp starts.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I prefer we do not see any movement on DR other than him coming in and showing that he is closer to 100%. I am glad he did not sign the new contract offer as this gives team more flexibility and as a popular fan favorite he will get paid very, very well this season.

5. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I believe he has until midnight tonight.

I have a feeling that is completely baseless that something's going to get done.

6. SuperRY

SuperRY www.HDMIGuy.com

Negative - They had until 4:00pm EST to get a deal done. Didn't happen.

7. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I just saw that in the Dunta thread. Also saw Kaiser Toro's post indicating that we may have until July 22nd? Let's see what comes from that possible scenario.

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I started worrying about 2 months ago. On top of your list, here are some more FAs after 2009:

Kevin Walter
    Chester Pitts
    Rashod Butler
    Tim Bulman
    Travis Johnson
    Mike Briesel
    Matt Turk
    Nick Ferguson
    Deljuan Robinson

9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

10. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Two top people on the list are the only ones that NEED to be resigned. I'd like to see Pitts retire as a Texan. Walter should be an interesting contract.

I think Bulter is right behind as an important swing tackle.

TJ could be fighting for a roster spot in TC. I like Bluman's and Robinson's motors. I think they can be fairly easy to resign.

Turk eh. He's been solid but far from spectacular as a punter. Nick Ferguson same story different position.

Brisiel...mixed feelings I think he's solid but IMO Caldwell after this season will be pushing for his or Myer's spot.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

It was apparently today at 4:00 pm, but I still cannot find that on the NFL Calendar. I made an assumption based on the data that was afforded by the source. I was wrong. However, the other article discussing a potential loophole in this date was interesting.:lion:

12. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I absolutely understood your post to mean exactly what you described here. Like I said, let's see what becomes of that possibility. Both of these guys (Dunta's agent and Rick Smith) know what they're doing. They don't miss much. Especially Smith.

13. Xetuoh1836

Xetuoh1836 Rookie

14. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Well, now that the Dunta deadline has come and gone, I hope the Texan front office can turn its attention to the rookies and get them under contract before TC. We don't need anymore distractions!

I usually like to go to this link http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10264 to find out how the signings are going throughout the NFL. What bothers me, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, is when I see someone like Casey not signed and multiple players before and after him are signed.

148 San Diego Brandon Hughes - CB 4 year undisclosed contract
    149 Ravens Davon Drew - TE 3 year $1.185 million contract, $139,250 signing bonus
    150 Minnesota Jasper Brinkley - LB Undisclosed contract
    151 NY Giants Rhett Bomar - QB 4 year $1.75 million contract, $185,183 signing bonus
    152 Houston James Casey - TE
    153 Philadelphia Cornelius Ingram - TE 4 year $1.75 million contract, $183,000 signing bonus
    154 Chicago Marcus Freeman - LB 4 year undisclosed contract
    155 Tampa Bay Xavier Fulton - OT 4 year $1.75 million contract, $181,000 signing bonus
    156 Atlanta Garrett Reynolds - OT 4 year $1.75 million contract, $180,000 signing bonus
    157 Philadelphia Victor Harris - CB 4 year undisclosed contract
    158 Washington Cody Glenn - RB Undisclosed multi-year contract
    159 Philadelphia Fenuki Tupou - OT 4 year undisclosed contract

His contract should be "cut and dry" based on what the player before and after him are making. So why hasn't he signed? Is it some little detail in the contract? Is his agent getting greedy and trying to get a bigger signing bonus than the players picked above him? Maybe I'm just overreacting, but the sooner we get these rookies signed the better I will feel. Just a little over 2 weeks left before TC. :)

barrett likes this.
  15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Looks like Ingram kinda got boned on his signing bonus. Unless QB's still rate higher than other positions in the 5th round too?

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

If Dunta holds out of camp and has a sub-par year he is only hurting the value of his next contract so I'm really not all that worried about him. He's gonna want to have a pro bowl season so that he can land a massive contract. I'm not worried about anyone else and I'm set to defrost in a few weeks.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I imagine defrosting shan't be a problem at the first camp practice.

As I posted in the Dunta thread, I agree with you. IMO, Dunta really has no choice but to go to camp and play this season better than ever and the Texans are going to reap the benefits.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Not worried anytime soon. I expect they'll start rolling in the week before TC. Weird to see Casey unsigned with others around him signed but it's not like Smith has been sitting on his hands this offseason.

Kevin Walter-must resign as long as the money isn't crazy. K dub doesn't seem to be the self-first type so I doubt he comes out asking for big bucks.
    Chester Pitts-must resign for almost any price. Original Texan.
    Rashod Butler-I'd like to see him resigned. He's been good enough to stick around anyway
    Tim Bulman-I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a little money elsewhere but I'd like to see him in Texans gear for a while
    Travis Johnson-cut
    Mike Briesel-hmmmm....playing for a job this year?
    Matt Turk-Honestly, I can't believe he's not already retired
    Nick Ferguson-He's done his part as a stop-gap player. Hopefully his service won't be needed
    Deljuan Robinson-I'd resign him

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'm sure his agent keeps reminding the team that they claim to have rated him as a 2nd round talent. :pirate:

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

And we will keep reminding them that he wasn't selected in the 2nd round. We took a gamble that he would be there in the 5th because we didn't want to pay 2nd round money if we could get him in the 5th and we were correct.