SI: Offseason Breakdown - Houston Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DBCooper, Jun 18, 2012.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

ObsiWan likes this.
  2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I think we're really going to miss Joel Dressen -- blocking even more than in the pass game.

And it's gonna hurt if one of the "other" WRs doesn't turn into some kind of playmaker.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Not sure who he is but agree with him except for right side of Oline which I think will be good. My concern is WR but we should be no worse than last season. So for me a healthy AJ is key #1 with Schaub coming in #2.

Oh BTW he missed an important addition in Bullock, kicker.

4. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I have the same worry about missing Dreesen. Bo Scaith is out there lol. I didn't even know he signed with NE and he's already been released. The only TE name available that sounds even a little appealing is Daniel Graham. I don't think he has much left at this point in his career though.

5. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Everybody is down on the Texans right now. Even people at work tell me they won't win a playoff game. But outsiders and national media have never understood this team. Right now, none of them know that the replacement guard and RT have already started many times and know the system. And does anyone really think that the new WR2 will be a step back from Jacoby Jones?

Caldwell will be better than what we've seen. He played on two high ankle sprains last season, and no one was a harsher critic of his performance than himself. Butler has always been starter quality.

I haven't said this before, but now is the perfect time to predict it. This defense will be better than last year. Last year was a prep course. This year they actually have an offseason to learn. They will know the entire playbook. The new ILB acquisition knows it intimately. Daniel Manning showed in OTA's that he was born to play in this system. Brice McCain has found his identity as one of the best slot corners in the league. JJ Watt and Brooks Reed will make the second-year improvement. Earl Mitchell put on 20 lbs of muscle. Our pass rushers will rotate and remain fresh. One of them is named "no mercy."

This defense will give the offense so much opportunity that the offensive rookies will be playoff ready by November.

Keep all this in mind when you have to listen to doubters. And have a good laugh when you hear it from Cowboy fans, because the Texans will be Superbowl bound using the leadership that Jerry undermined and cast aside.

Say Watt likes this.
  6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We followed our 7-9 season with 2-14

We followed our 9-7 season with 6-10

Only stands to reason, we'll follow our 10-6 season with 8-8.....

it's simple math

7. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I definitely feel like the defense will have a strong chance at being better. We'll have this young Mercilous kid out there for more depth, and these young guys will be more seasoned. The biggest thing that could hold them back would be an injury to Jonathan Joseph, but outside of that, I think we could handle a big injury to just about any other player on this defense and be really good still.

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Each season is it's own season and nothing that has happened in the past has anything to do with what can happen in the future.

This kinda mindset reminds me of the same people who said Foster can't maintain his level of play, because of what happened to Steve Slaton

9. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Pretty good breakdown from a national source. I may disagree with a few of his points, but they have merit.

10. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Demco was not in the prime of his career more like the starting of the down side

and winston was not that good IMO

11. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

It being a contract year for Barwin has to help out our defense as well. With Financial incentive he should be a mad man on the field.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

By that same token then, what reason do we have to be optimistic about next season?

13. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Who? All I see is national media picking Texans to win the division and play in AFC Championship game.

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

What reason do we have to not be optimistic about next season?

15. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Because it's a weak division. I haven't seen many predictions about the AFC championship. The general consensus I've read is that the team has declined due to personnel losses, and therefore will not win a playoff game.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Arian Foster, Ben Tate, Chris Meyers, Connor Barwin, Daniel Manning, Jonathan Joseph.

We have a competent D coordinator returning for a consecutive year. Coming off of our best year ever. If there was a time to break the cycle it would be now.

Schaub, Andre, Right side of Oline, WR depth...More young guys added that will have to be counted on.

This team has not experienced a bunch of success so we don't really know how they'll handle it. There are reasons out there to be cautions and concerned.

I hope I helped answer both you guys questions, but I'm sure you'll both have rebuttals.

:kitten:

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

To many reasons to be posivite to be negative.

Schaub is back, AJ is healthy. Our defense stayed damn near intact and added a damn good LB. Williams didnt play most of the season. Ryans played very little to start with.

So we lost brisel and winston, but its not like we're replacing them with 2 rookies.

And we lost jacoby, oh lord how will the world spin without jacoby.

Ok so we lost 5 starters, and dressen the #2 TE.

Including injuries from last season we really only lost 2 starters and a #2 WR.

Yeah this looks so damn bad. Why bother watching a team who kept 95 perecent of their team together after winning a play off game with a 3rd string QB.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I'm at work typing on my phone.. I don't have the time or the patience to thumb type a rebuttal.. :)

I'll simply say this.. every team in the league has holes and concerns regarding their roster.. every single team. The ones who can fill those holes and answer those concerns the best will be the teams who will still be playing football when other teams are making vacation plans. We will soon see if our FO was correct about the players they expect to step up and about the decisions they've made this offseason.

19. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

13-3.

Texan Asylum likes this.
  20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That would be a tremendous achievement given the schedule we're faced with this season. Not that I'd complain or anything :)

I'm setting my sights on winning the division, no matter the record in the end. We win the division, we're in the dance. If we don't win the division....it'd be a dadgum shame to say the least.