Should the Texans go after Martellus Bennett?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by cbs1507, Mar 7, 2018.

1. cbs1507

cbs1507 Veteran

2. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

No..he’s never really lived up to his talent

3. cbs1507

cbs1507 Veteran

Is his talent better than any TE on the team? I'd say yes.

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I think Anderson is at least as good. In any event though that’s not a hard hurdle to jump. Just about every FA TE available is better talent wise over our TE group and a great majority of them are cheaper than Bennett.

cbs1507 likes this.
  5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Not with that shoulder injury.

Pharaohcious likes this.
  6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Injury issues and inconsistent effort. Pass.

PapaL likes this.
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Got his ring

Damaged goods

Pass

OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  8. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

TE position will have to be addressed in the draft. Most of the FA Class of TE's have injury histories and will still expect more money than face value when teams start calling.

Texans could easily justify a TE in RD3 which should still have several solid options available with potential to be Day1 impact players.

9. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

They can't justify taking a TE over OL in any round. Address the OL and see what's left at TE.

10. OptimisticTexan

Doc, I think they may be able to get both of those needs addressed in RD3. Most teams are going to get the time honored tradition of finding Day1 impact type players in RD's 1 and 2. The Texans, because of their positions of need and the depth within these areas in this years draft could see them enjoy the same kind of results with their draft starting in RD3.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would like for Gaine to bring Luke Wilson home. Picking up a vet like Darren Fells would be able good idea. Fells is a great blocking TE, something the Texans have never really had. He should be fairly cheap.

TheRealJoker and OptimisticTexan like this.
  12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Of course, they can and maybe should. There is free agency befoe the draft, along with the idea that drafting a clearly lower rated OL(say low 4th rated) in 3rd round because he is OL is worse then getting a better player(2nd round TE) at a need position. Even when in need can't lose sight of stocking the roster with better players than what you have already.

DocBar likes this.
  13. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Depends on the asking price but he's better than what we have.

14. OptimisticTexan

Texans could get immediate answers for the OL in FA for the 2018 season. My choices:

LT- Solder, LG- Sitton, and RT- Robinson or Henderson

Getting the 3 OL mentioned above sure knocks the high demand off most of the OL positions but I would still target a couple of OL in the draft. TE could be bumped up to a priority position in RD3 if the right TE is there for the taking.

I could target OT- Noteboom (TCU) and OG- Gossett (App St) in the draft. Both will be good OL but it sure doesn't hurt if they have the luxury of a development season as a sub. Davenport and Fuller fit this description as well. Only way this would become a priority move in the draft...if OT- Orlando Brown (OK) has slipped to #68. This would scratch Noteboom and Gossett could be gotten in RD4 or RD6.

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Sounds nice, I mean signing two of the top 10 OL in free agency would chnge a lot of draft stategy. Without knowing how the Texans specifically rate guys both in the lower portion of free agnecy and the draft, I don't really know if this something that may have a chance of happening.

Although OL can have a decent shelf-life, both a Sitton/Solder combo would suggest theneed for some sort of long-term plan to replace them in the next couple of years. (I think at least).

16. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Fells would be a great option. TEs that can block are going extinct just like true FBs. Would love to have one on the roster in place of a hybrid WR/TE like Stephen Anderson.

steelbtexan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  17. OptimisticTexan

That's my plan. I'd like to get 2 seasons from this FA group while the new draftees, Davenport and Fuller are better prepared to take over in 2020. The 2019 NFL Draft could supply a couple more high-priority OL answers if this group is faltering. But, if they're hitting....Texans approach in 2019 could be much like I would forecast for this season.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I want 3-4 top 10-15 yrs out of Solder if I'm paying him 10-12 mil a yr and at 30 I think you can get that from him. Sitton due to previous back injuries may only be good for a couple of yrs but I would still front load a 3 yr contract for him. Since this is a good yr for OL, I would like to see them draft a couple of guys in the 3rd, just in case injury pops up. A guy like Noteboom is the kind of guy I'm looking at, a big guy who has experience playing both LT/RT and knows how to take good angles. He's got functional strength but just has to play with a mean streak. A better Marshall Newhouse would be my comp for Noteboom.

I'm pretty sure Noteboom can be a day 1 upgrade over Breno.

Seegara and OptimisticTexan like this.
  19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

If we get Solder or if Allen can be the guy at LT, I think Davenport would continue to get snaps as a super tackle blocking just to get him on field. In this scenario, I think Anderson will be the main guy at TE with his receiving skills as a target for Watson. Grimes if here could turn his career around as he can block some and is a decent receiver. I'm still hopeful Fiedo takes a buy out for his health and to increase the cap space.

edit: Sitton turns 32 in June and since he was not released but rather option not picked up he cannot be signed until FA begins. He hasn't had a back issue since 2015. SInce then he missed 3 games each 2016 and '17 but for ankle, ribs and a concussion (2017). He was #5 rated OG at 86 per PFF

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  20. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

No way. He's a cancer.