Should the Texans draft the best player available this coming draft?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by supertankman, Dec 25, 2006.

1. supertankman

supertankman Rookie

The Texans still have alot of holes to fill, our secondary is terrible, on the other side of the ball, we need a franchise OL to help the weak side. We also need a solid running back because I think Dominick Davis is prone to injury just like Mcgrady for the Rockets :(

I do think that Kubiak will bring in Plummer as a backup from Denver and I do not see us drafting another QB? What do you guys think, do we stick with the same gameplan as last year and keep trying to beef up the defense and go after FA's for the offense?

2. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I say trade down if no O-lineman is worth taking where we are at. If AP is gone and you want to stay there, draft the best Safety/Cornerback/ or OLB to help Demeco with the load. Id like to see the O-line and CB position addressed through Free Agency since this years stock of O-lineman seems thin after Joe Thomas. The Texans needs to do EVERYTHING they can to sign Nate Clements because I feel finding a CB like him in the draft is a big time gamble, he is proven.

3. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

It's not that easy.

There has to be (1) a team willing to trade down, (2) a team willing to trade down who offers legit compensation for the trade, and (3) a team willing to trade down who offers legit compensation for the trade who is trading from a spot where we can get a player who we want.

There aren't really any OT coming out this season worth trading down for and we could use a top 10 RB or FS, but even if there were some good OT grading mid-late first round, it's not as easy as snapping your fingers to move down.

4. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Yeah, BPA all the time. Unless it's a position that's already set, but let's be honest we really don't have that now do we.

5. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I think we have to go secondary in the first round. And at our pick (around 6-8 probably) the best player available will be Branch, Landry, or Hall. When our DL is healthy I think it will improve a lot considering we have a bunch of guys off the streets in there and we're getting some pressure and we have spent our last to first round picks on DL and I really don't want to go there again. So that leaves Landry and Hall, and we could use both and I would be happy with both.

6. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Should be a combination of BPA and need, thats how we did so well last year. We took players that we needed that we good value picks.

Runner likes this.
  7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

if you pick at the top of the draft you are making a huge mistake drafting for need unless the best player available grades around the same as your need pick. Drafting for need is something teams should do in the second half of the first round and back imo....for the most part.

8. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

Let's say that the best player available to us is a wide receiver. Should we pick him so that we can have a bumper sticker saying "My other receiver is an Andre Johnson too."?

I think not.

Rick Smith is going to have to earn his salary this offseason. I am looking for a lot of horse trading with our draft picks and Free Agency to fill the holes in the O-Line and secondary. And of course to add to the mix is the status of Spencer and Davis. All I can say is "Good Luck Mr. Smith."

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

taking strictly the bpa is what normal teams should do. The texans have so many needs that is is a lot easier to have the bpa or one extremely close to it at a position of much need. when you strictly draft for need is bad for other teams that really stretch that pick...say pick a guy that fits their need when his "draft grade" is many many spots lower.

Mario was a combination imo. need/bpa

For instance..Landry/Hall are both consistently top 10 players drafted in mocks (who knows what happens on draft day). Picking them based on need is not bad because they could be bpa or close. Picking a guy like Dwayne Jarret/ tedd ginn jr. who could potentially be bpa when we draft would not be a good idea. conversely picking an OL someone like levi brown maybe? at our #6-8 spot would probably be a stretch for them and a pick strictly for our need.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't think that Arizona is unhappy with Boldin and Fitz. They have issues but their passing game is explosive.

11. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I look forward to see what Rick can get us. He's done an amazingly good job so far, picking up players not on teams during the season and making it work. And the huge pickup of a much needed FB in Vonta Leach :) I honestly think this will be one of our best offseasons yet. I'd be pretty happy if it turned out like it did last year (we filled two needs in free agency: WR, DT; and four in the draft: TE, MLB, DE, OL - whatever ones you want to put Spencer and Winston in) If we can get a couple good players like last year (Moulds and Weaver) and then fill needs in the draft like we did last year, man will I be excited next year.

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yes. first round is always BPA.

13. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Yes, I know, Im just saying :)

14. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

As long as we dont draft by need like we did last year we know how that's turning out we missed out on two very specials players and got mario a decent player but not special:stirpot:

15. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

Their are always some suprises in the top 10; by taking BPA we can see what gem may fall to us between 6-10.

16. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Last year the FO had two guys tied for BPA.... Mario Williams and Reggie Bush. Since we needed a DE more than a RB at the time, the decision was made for Mario.

That is how I think all drafts in the first round should work. BPA with consideration of need.

17. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

i think it depends on how you want to build your franchise. also how BAD is your need position.

i think last year bush was clearly the BPA at our pick. that being said williams was close enough and our defense was BAD enough that you could justify taking him over bush.

18. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

You take the player who is going to have the biggest impact on your team. In the Texans case their weakest link is defensive secondary. LaRon Landry or Hall will instantly make them better.

19. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

I think we'll draft at 9 and our choices will be Reggie Nelson or Levi Brown. I can see us going in either direction. I'd probably lean to OT as I think very capable safeties are available in rounds 2-4

20. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

In the words of Mick Jagger ... you cain't always get what you want .... but if you try sometimes ... you just might find ... you get what you need .