Should the Texans Draft a FS?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by JimC, Apr 23, 2010.

1. JimC

JimC Rookie

The conventional wisdom is that the Texans will draft a free safety on Saturday, probably in the 4th round.

The problem with that plan is that all of the top free safety prospects are already off of the board. If the Texans take a free safety this year, they'll almost certainly need to make it a priority in next year's draft as well to get a quality starter.

So the question is: Are they Texans better off getting solid depth at other positions with quality players on the board and saving FS for next year, when they'll probably draft one in the first 2 rounds anyway?

Now that the Texans have gotten likely starters in the first two rounds, I'm inclined to think they should take the best available players at positions where they need depth. I wouldn't make free safety a priority; if they really like a player then great, otherwise move one. If they don't find a FS they really like, try to find one in free agency -- maybe a former Cowboy?

Maximize the value of the picks this year. Next year, when the Texans are likely to have few holes in their lineup, get a quality starter at free safety in the first two rounds.

2. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Reshad Jones and Robert Johnson (someone cue the blues) are still on the board as FS. I'd be happy with either of them at the 4th pick of the 4th.

BUT. There are a ton of good CBs still out there: Dominique Franks, AOA, Perish Cox, AJ Jefferson, Syd'Quan Thompson, etc.

And there's still some great OL out there with Tennant, Petrus, Newhouse, Black, Fox, etc. You could even take a shot on Bruce Campbell at this point.

But from here on out, you could probably just go BPA (without regard for need) and get some great players.

3. Esoom

Esoom Veteran

I'd love to try out Myron Rolle in one of the later rounds. I feel like he has some potential. Also we would have the highest IQ in the league, easily.

4. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

It's pretty obvious they are cherry picking the athletes that they want. We're getting to the point were we're looking for special teams guys and Prospects for the future, not starters. Board is loaded with TE/HB types. But we already have Casey .

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (CB)

5. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I don't think it's imperative. They missed out on the top tier guys and are pretty happy with Wilson/Barber. I know this is probably fan-wish more than reality, but they also have Quin and Molden who project well at FS.

I don't think they're adverse to it, but I don't think it's a priority. As things have shaken out, I'd rather them grab another RB and CB than reach on a FS, personally. Though, I'd be giddy if they picked Owusu Ansah.

6. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Totally on board with this thought. He's cheap, and should make a solid, if unspectacular pro within the next season or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah can play Safety. He is rated way higher than Myron Rolle. Let's Roll with Akwasi.

8. Esoom

Esoom Veteran

I would love if we picked up Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. I think Myron Rolle in, say, the 6th round would be a steal though.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't think FS is one of our bigger needs anymore. Wilson has kind of made it a "Don't spend a high pick on it unless he is also BPA, because we have higher needs" kind of need.

As far as what we positions we get from 4th round on, Pft, just take whatever projects and/or depth looks like BPA I guess. Heck, let's get like 3 or 4 kickers and see if one pans out, LOL.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I like Brian Jackson from Oklahoma as a possible DB/FS selection today.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I like whoever should've been picked yesterday. :)

12. The Pencil Neck

At this point, we're no longer picking for need.

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

It looks like the Texans are just throwing darts at their draft board now. 6 TEs are on the roster. 6.

14. The Pencil Neck

3 injured and not going to be ready for TC.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

True. That i something I did not consider. But still, how are we going to find roster spots for the 5 that get past camp? OD is legit when healthy. Hill and Casey are only in their second year. Dressen is a good backup, and we just drafted a guy. Someone has to go on IR this means. And if so, I am ok with this pick. If not, then I am not happy.

16. The Pencil Neck

I think Hill is a lot more injured than they were letting on. I think he's going on IR early. I think that's what this pick means.

17. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I could see that. I am still a little bothered though. A TE was not a need. Even with Hill out, we could have taken one in the 7th or UDFA or something. I still think that beefing up the line is more important than a 4th string TE. Because on those obvious run situations/goal line situations, just but another tackle in there. Oh well, I have hit the apathetic phase. We will see what happens in rookie camp and training camp, and the pre-season. When the season rolls around, we should have a better idea of how this draft went (from an immediate impact point of view).

18. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

The question should now be "Why didn't the Texans draft a FS?"

Its obviously one of the biggest needs on the team once the CB & RB positions were addressed.

Giant Tiger likes this.
  19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Because FS can't play TE. :peek:

rmartin65 likes this.
  20. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Judging by all of the UDFA FS that have been scooped up by other teams, I can only assume the Texans are not worried about having depth.