Shiloh Keo

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 76Texan, May 8, 2011.

1. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

The 3 games I watched for the 2010 season were against Nebraska (2nd week), Louisiana Tech (7th week) and Boise St. (11th week).

Keo played mostly as a SS.
    In addition, he would come down on the slot and the TE.

I don't see negativity in his coverage skill; he was almost always where he was supposed to be.

The biggest flaw I saw was in his tackling, which is quite common in secondary players.
    I had noted similar things in Earl Thomas, Joe Haden, McCourty, Kyle Wilson etc. in the previous draft and the same in several players in this draft (2011).

Obviously, I'm not an expert in techniques, but I do watch a lot of videos on the drills and read up on them as well.
    It's understandable that college players still need to improve on their techniques to become better players in the pros.

Anyway, back to the games: The opponents laid 38, 48, and 52 points on Idaho so you can assume the worst.
    Hiowever, I would say that Keo would be the last one to blame, especially in coverage.

Next came the East-West Shriner game (in which Wade coached).
    Keo played very well both downhill and in coverage to earn the praises from the NFL Network guys (Charles and Mayock) during the broadcast and later on at the combine.
    He was also the first to volunteer in all special team activities.

At the NFL combine, he got a handshake from Deon Sanders and a reporrted hug from the same to go with a compliment "I like you" that sort of thing.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e8cd4f/Best-Value-Day-4-Shiloh-Keo

Here's a podcast if you have time to listen:
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/all-access-football/2011/04/02/player-spotlight-s-shiloh-keo-idaho

I will have a few more notes to come.

kiwitexansfan likes this.
  2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think everyone will agree that Keo has the attitude to make it in the NFL. The question is whether he has the physical ability and skill set to play in the secondary on a full time basis. At worst, the Texans have a special teams ace. And that's worth a 5th round selection, IMO. Considering the state of special teams play in 2010, I consider that a need pick.

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree with you more!

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Sounds like he's got lot less warts than most, coming into the pro's. As tackling is a major part of the safety's responsibility, especially at the SS spot, I hope to see this regime improve this aspect of his game, instead of adding warts to what he already has........a hallmark of preceding coaching staffs.

5. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

That brings us to the next point:

Keo showed better straight line speed at his pro day: 4.64-4.66 as opposed to 4.72 at the combine.

I want to note some guys we discussed before the draft:
    Ahmad Black (Fla) 4.78
    Eric Hagg (Neb) 4.69
    Rahim Moore 4.62
    DeAndre McDaniels 4.65
    Tyler Sash 4.62

And Moore, for example, is supposed to play FS.
    He was drafted #13 in the second round by the Broncos.
    Also note that I had several "complaints" about his miss-tackles while discussing the draft.

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Hopefully his passion for the game and the effort he puts into it make up for his physical limitations. Maybe not the fastest, quickest, or strongest player but if he's smart then he can still contribute.

7. Rey

Rey Guest

Are those combine numbers you posted for those other safeties, or pro day numbers.

Not really fair to compare his pro day 40 time with their combine times as guys always seem to run faster at their pro day.

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

True, but it doesn't mean to be abosultely fair.
    They are numbers and can change.

It only shows that he's somewhere in the mix.

I haven't got to the part where he aced the 20 shuttle (3.9) and the 3 cone (6.55) at the combine.
    He blew all the other guys out of the water.
    Heck, even Patrick Peterson's numbers couldn't match: 4.07 and 6.58
    And they both weighed in at 219.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

I like the fact that he was so good in the shuttle times, but what I like most about him is what I see on the field. Good instincts and smart.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I never heard of the guy until combine & was impressed as I have posted. The best thing I see about him is he will probably have fans talking about him. We need a player to root for that is not a starter or high pick. He might turn out to be a Sage Rosenfels in that regard.

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Is it just me or did all of our draft picks finish at or near the top in the shuttle and cone drills for their position? Keo, Watt, and Brooks Reed all excelled in that regard.

12. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I'm sure many on the board realize that.
    It's why we think they are versatile; that Reed can make the transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB.
    Remember, even Watt had seen quite a bit of action as a 3-4 OLB at Wisconsin.

13. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I don't know if anybody has seen this video or not.
    This one was before the 2009 season.

#10 on defense is Keo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo54Wq33Cio

Two things for sure: He can hit and he can run with the ball.

In the Nebraska game, after he pulled in an INT, he made 3 guys miss in tight space with a spin move, a shake and bake move and another spin move.
    Too bad, he couldn't shake the 4th guy.

14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Don,
    I'd be delighted to share a little info about Shiloh.Moscow is a small town, which means covering the Vandals is more intimate than say covering a Pac-10 or Big 12 school, so over the years I've talked to Shiloh a lot.He has an infectious personality. He truly loves the game of football and he has a great understanding of the game. When he was injured his junior year he ended up on the sidelines with headphones so he could help coach the defense. He has a great eye for the ball, and that helps him a lot with his speed. He's not the fastest guy on the field - he's OK by WAC standards - but he reads the field well and sees the angles and uses that to his advantage.He's a pretty good returner, both kickoffs and punts. He has good early speed, which helps him after initially getting the ball. He cuts well, and again, sees the field well, so he's able to get extra yards thanks to early decision making. He's also tough to bring down and always gets extra yards after being hit.He's a ferocious tackler. I'm anxious to see how that holds up in the NFL, but he wraps up well, can run people down and puts down quite a blow. He's not the biggest guy, but once he wraps his arms around a runner he doesn't let go and he's had some of the biggest hits I've ever seen.He was recruited out of the Seattle area, he's not married and I don't think he has any children.He is a happy, energetic, intense person. He never hides from an interview and I've seen him really entertain younger fans.I think he is at least part Polynesian, though I don't know that for sure. I'm really hoping Shiloh makes the cut. If he can find a nice niche with a team they'll be happy to have him. He's a good teammate, he's an intelligent player and a great guy to have around. I can really see him being a fan favorite.
    I hope that helps.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Sandra
    The above personal comments about Shiloh Keo are by Sandra Kelly, Moscow-Pullman Daily News Sports Editor in Moscow, ID where the University of Idaho is located. She's watched him play, watched his career unfold at the U of Idaho. I sent her an email asking her about Keo, and she was nice enough to take the time to write several sentences about him which I thought I'd pass along to other Texans' fans.

76Texan and drs23 like this.
  15. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Thanks for posting. Every thing I've read and heard about him says he'll be a fan favorite and great in the locker room. Kinda guy we need.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

NP.
    He's obviously not a great athlete or talent, though he's got some things going for him and it's not just "intangibles". He's "Wades guy", which means he's likely already got a roster spot which is his to lose.
    But he's going to be a big-time STs player, while having a chance to run back punts for us and provide some depth at safety. Still it would seem they wouldn't need to expend a 5th round pick for STs guys who double as bench ?
    Maybe Wade sees something else here that's not readily apparent ?

17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Hey, did you write Miss Sandra just for information on Keo and nothing else? j/k

I watched a couple more of his games (from 09) and I think he has a shot to become a starter at SS.

He's way more consistent than Troy Nolan in college.
    (Nolan's speed was 4.63)

He's a better college player than Nolan.
    I think it will depend on who can make a bigger improvement; Nolan had a couple years of head start.

18. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I saw something she wrote recently about Keo in her papar up in Moscow, and I thought I'd see if she'd give me some more background on him, you know kinda personal insider stuff, so I just sent her an email explaining i was a big Texans fan and we were real happy he'd be playing for the Texans and could she give me anymore info about Keo. And obviously she obliged.
    But to your prediction that Keo has a chance to start, and I hope you're right, but he's clearly a traditional box SS not that much unlike the box safety the Texans just released, Bernard Pollard, who was thought to be incompatable with the Texans plans for what they wanted in their safetys ?

19. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/2010DRAFT/PlayerProfiles/Shiloh.Keo.htm

20. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

I'm actually excited for this guy!!!