Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Shilo Keo- Reaction to the pick?

Shiloh Keo

• Total voters

TejasTom

All Pro
So let’s get to the numbers. And it is worth mentioning Keo played his career as a safety, but participated in the Combine as a general DB and his results were listed on NFL.com with the cornerbacks group.

40 Yard Dash – 4.72
Bench Press – 24 Reps (Tied for 3rd with corners, 1st with safeties)
Vertical Jump – 32.5”
Broad Jump – 9’2”
3 Cone Drill – 6.55 (3rd with corners, 1st with safeties)
20 Yard Shuttle – 3.90 (1st with corners, 1st with safeties)
60 Yard Shuttle – 11.19 (Tied for 11th with corners, 1st with safeties)
http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/03/2011-nfl-combine-idahos-shiloh-keo.html

The bottom three stats show great change of direction and lateral speed, maybe he just needs a little fine tuning.

Rey

A little overeaction, I think!

In the Vikings game, the two plays in which he looked bad weren't all that terrible.
I will post the screen shots of these plays in the film study thread in the near future - don't know when yet.

On the TD run, he came in from outside and did not have a good angle (due to some other reason and not because he was a tad slow to the ball.)
And no Vinny, it really doesn't look to me that he was ran over.
Due to the side angle, the runner was able to use the contact as leverage to spin to the other side to get into the end zone.
There were other guys who were worse on that play.

On the QB scramble, he didn't overran the play.
The Texams were in a Dime package (4-man front, #39 and #34 at safeties, 2 CBs, #42 at nickel, a single LB lining up in the SAM postiion, and the Dime back Keo lining up in the WILL position.)
In Wade's playbook, the LB was designated as the MLB and Keo as the Dime back.

Against a 20 personnel, the MLB followed one RB and the Dime (Keo) followed the other. As the QB scrambled up the middle, Keo had come up un coverage on the RB out of the backfield. That made it looks like Keo overran the play, but he didn't.

There was another play when he came up for a tackle, but Nading was pursuing from behind and as Nading made the tackle, he pushed the ball carrier into Keo forcing him to fall backward. That's pretty normal, I don't see anything wrong with that.

BTW, Keo's wife gave birth to a child just a few days before the Vikings game.
Congrats, Young Mr & Mrs Keo!
He was run over. Not smooth over, but he did not provide any resistance what so ever in keeping the rb out of the endzone. And there actually is a clip out there showing him getting plowed by a little rb from Boise state right on the goal line.

As far as your other comments I think you look for any kind of excuse to back up players you like. He got juked, he got out ran, he barely did anything at all the whole pre-season and he got run over. These things are facts.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/03/2011-nfl-combine-idahos-shiloh-keo.html

The bottom three stats show great change of direction and lateral speed, maybe he just needs a little fine tuning.
He looks like a guy with short area athletic skills, but I am recalling correctly the negative plays we are remembering were more open area, where he might have limitations.

BTW, this is the danger of guys who are good "football players" versus "good athletes." At times in the NFL, you just have to be able to get there in hurry or be stout enough to stand your ground. He is not over with for us, and the staff was excited about him. We will see.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Since he played for Idaho in college, I was kinda sentimental about him and hoping he'd pan out, but he's been pretty disappointing up to now. I follow BSU but Idaho U not so much, and therefor didn't know much about him until we drafted him ?
I'm still really puzzled why Wade took him when he did not want the traditional
"box" strong safety in his defense, which is clearly Shilohs niche, and teams usually don't use a 5th round pick on a player who's used exclusively on STs ?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Since he played for Idaho in college, I was kinda sentimental about him and hoping he'd pan out, but he's been pretty disappointing up to now. I follow BSU but Idaho U not so much, and therefor didn't know much about him until we drafted him ?
I'm still really puzzled why Wade took him when he did not want the traditional
"box" strong safety in his defense, which is clearly Shilohs niche, and teams usually don't use a 5th round pick on a player who's used exclusively on STs ?
Good points. I think the key to shilo is attitude. Great character, work ethic & love for the game. Excellent developmental pick who will be come a core player down the road even if it's just special teams captain. Every team needs guys like him, Wades experience has taught him that.

Rey

Good points. I think the key to shilo is attitude. Great character, work ethic & love for the game. Excellent developmental pick who will be come a core player down the road even if it's just special teams captain. Every team needs guys like him, Wades experience has taught him that.
At this point what do you think his ceiling is?

Special teams captain?
Primary back up?
Starter?

I don't like to rule guys out. Instead I like to just say what I see.

And what I saw was not good. Still, if he works on his body he could get better.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
At this point what do you think his ceiling is?

Special teams captain?
Primary back up?
Starter?

I don't like to rule guys out. Instead I like to just say what I see.

And what I saw was not good. Still, if he works on his body he could get better.
There is one thing you don't or others have to worry about & that is Keo work ethic. Have a little faith don't be too quick to judge off a small sample size.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
There is one thing you don't or others have to worry about & that is Keo work ethic. Have a little faith don't be too quick to judge off a small sample size.
That post makes no sense, whatsoever. Please reread it and make the appropriate changes.:cool:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
That post makes no sense, whatsoever. Please reread it and make the appropriate changes.:cool:
small sample size with Texans http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Shiloh-Keo/5c68dec8-987d-40ab-8a54-1284ece3bfb3 yet look how quick we are to judge (maybe its because of so many failings in the past?). It should have been anticipated rookies would struggle, at least initially, because the lock-out/lack of preparation/work with organizations who drafted them. It's also a statement by Watt how quickly he has come into Wade Phillips system & made his impact felt, but he is the only rookie drafted who is a starter. Brooks is gaining & showing flashes of potential & he had a 1st/2nd rd. grade. Same can be said for Brandon Harris.

Lets go down the list of players who have yet or who have already been cut over past few years. In 2007 Texans drafted Brandon Harrison in the 5th round never had much if any impact & released. Dominique Barber is still hanging around (6th rd.) pick in 08 but Xavier Adibi, 4th & Antwaun Molden 3rd round where both cut. It's taken Troy Nolan a couple years after being drafted in the 7th rd. to show promise I would consider him the exception but @ the same time also drafted in 09 4th rd. Anthony Hill was let go, that's not so good. Last years 7th rd. pick Dorin Dickerson is gone already while 6th rd. Trindon Holiday is hanging around on the practice squad.

Point being, nothing is guaranteed for young players drafted or undrafted coming into the NFL & sticking on a roster. Some take more time than others as often the case measureables decline as rounds proceed or there are off field, character issues that can bring a prospect down. Clearly in Shilos case the measureable issue is something hes faced his whole football playing life, yet he has beat the odds time & time again. This is what I mean about judging him based off small sample size of reps in pre-season along with learning how to practice & what to do in his first NFL camp against a new level of competition. He will probably need a couple years like Nolan.

ps - I struggle posting via IPhone, they tend to come out short, abbreviated & at times nonsensical :htown2atx:

Rey

small sample size with Texans http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Shiloh-Keo/5c68dec8-987d-40ab-8a54-1284ece3bfb3 yet look how quick we are to judge (maybe its because of so many failings in the past?). It should have been anticipated rookies would struggle, at least initially, because the lock-out/lack of preparation/work with organizations who drafted them. It's also a statement by Watt how quickly he has come into Wade Phillips system & made his impact felt, but he is the only rookie drafted who is a starter. Brooks is gaining & showing flashes of potential & he had a 1st/2nd rd. grade. Same can be said for Brandon Harris.

Lets go down the list of players who have yet or who have already been cut over past few years. In 2007 Texans drafted Brandon Harrison in the 5th round never had much if any impact & released. Dominique Barber is still hanging around (6th rd.) pick in 08 but Xavier Adibi, 4th & Antwaun Molden 3rd round where both cut. It's taken Troy Nolan a couple years after being drafted in the 7th rd. to show promise I would consider him the exception but @ the same time also drafted in 09 4th rd. Anthony Hill was let go, that's not so good. Last years 7th rd. pick Dorin Dickerson is gone already while 6th rd. Trindon Holiday is hanging around on the practice squad.

Point being, nothing is guaranteed for young players drafted or undrafted coming into the NFL & sticking on a roster. Some take more time than others as often the case measureables decline as rounds proceed or there are off field, character issues that can bring a prospect down. Clearly in Shilos case the measureable issue is something hes faced his whole football playing life, yet he has beat the odds time & time again. This is what I mean about judging him based off small sample size of reps in pre-season along with learning how to practice & what to do in his first NFL camp against a new level of competition. He will probably need a couple years like Nolan.

ps - I struggle posting via IPhone, they tend to come out short, abbreviated & at times nonsensical :htown2atx:
I don't understand how that helps shilo's case. Seems like you are saying he's likely to be cut and not around in the next few years.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I don't understand how that helps shilo's case. Seems like you are saying he's likely to be cut and not around in the next few years.
You know that investment disclaimer, past performance is no guarantee of future performance? The same thing can be said about all things NFL. I gave examples of the Texans past performance from their most recent & applicable drafts which suggest more fail than succeed, those are just the simple facts. Shilo is a player who somehow has found a way to beat those odds, he's got some support from Wade too the combination of the two should be enough given due process to enable him making the Texans 53 man roster at some point providing another team does not swoop in & sign him off the PS.