Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Shilo Keo- Reaction to the pick?

Shiloh Keo

• Total voters

Ryan

THIS YEAR
I don't know anything about any of these guys out of the 1st 3 rounds so i'll just stick with my "on the fence" vote. :toropalm:

GP

Go Texans!
LOL.

I liked it JUST because we went defense. AGAIN.

I freaking love it. Now I want to see us go defense for the entire rest of the draft. Nothing but defense. D, D, D, D, D, D, D, D, ........

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
On the fence. I like going to the safety position, but I am not a fan of Keo. While he is an effort guy, he is not physically gifted. He tops out as a ST/backup guy.

EDIT- Again, typing too fast. I left the "h" off of his name. Shiloh Keo

Rey

From what I've read about him he seems like a very physical player...More of a SS type...

I think he will probably make his niche on special teams for us...

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
My reaction....Who? Lol, i guess that's my cue to turn the draft off b/c i don't know many of these guys coming off the board now.

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
From CBS Sports:

Shilo Keo

Overview

At under 6 feet tall but a solid 215 pounds, Keo looks the part of a future NFL defensive back. He did a little bit of everything with the Vandals, as Keo's ability to impact the game as a big-hitter and ball-hawk on defense as well as a special teams defender and returner made him a WAC standout from the beginning.

He has flaws in his game that could be exposed against NFL speed. A team will fall in love with his toughness and leadership and take a gamble on him in the late rounds. To make it in the pro game, Keo will need to impress early on special teams and convince a club that his penchant for big plays make up for his lack of ideal agility and speed in coverage.
Analysis

Positives: Good bulk and strength for the position. Physical defender who isn't afraid to stick in his nose in the pile. Good team defender. Willing to take out the legs of charging offensive linemen and trust his teammates to make the easy tackle. Can be a physical tone-setter across the middle, providing heavy hits to unsuspecting receivers and backs. Enough athleticism to stick with most backs and tight ends in coverage. Versatile, gutty performer whose leadership on and off the field is respected by his teammates. Two-time team captain (2009, 2010) and served as the Special Teams captain in 2008. Strong special teams performer.

Negatives: Might lack the athleticism to handle coverage responsibilities in the NFL. Is a tough defender, but isn't particularly instinctive and doesn't possess the fluidity and straight-line speed to mask his lack of awareness. Can lay the big hit on an unsuspecting ballcarrier, but to do so generally has to leave his feet and has a tendency to duck his head and rely on the collision to knock the ballcarrier to the ground, rather than wrapping his arms securely.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
#1 he is a football player, kinda of the common theme in Wade Phillips first draft as defensive coordinator. He will do what he's told when he's told not questions asked.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
For me anything 5th round and beyond is almost mandatory "on the fence" until training camp starts. He seems to know where the football is going to be and that's a good sign.

On a completely different thought, I'm beginning to think we'll never get rid of Casey Studdard. :rake:

nytexan

Waterboy
Definitely a special teams and SS pickup. I thought Jerrell Powe would go here for sure. If you're not starting in the secondary your football life is in danger for the Texans next year with all these picks.

Profootball weekly report:

Positives: Thickly built with natural mass — bench-pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the Combine. Drops downhill hard and craves contact. Understands run fits and is a solid tackler. Surprisingly good feet and short-area quickness — tested the best of any safety in the short shuttle (3.9 seconds) and 3-cone drill (6.55 seconds) at the Combine. Intense competitor. Good football temperament. Football-smart. Has a special-teams coverage mentality and good run strength.

Negatives: Has short arms and does not have a cut physique — carrying a soft midsection and nearly 20 percent body fat, easily the highest of any defensive back at the Combine. Tight-hipped with below-average speed and suddenness. Limited range and cover skills. Does not intimidate physically. Average leaping ability. Instincts and diagnostic skills are just average — freelances too much, takes chances and gives up some big plays. Has a sense of entitlement that could rub some people the wrong way.

Summary: Tightly wound, physical, intense downhill safety best utilized as an extra linebacker in the box. Is not as athletic or as well-conditioned as Ravens ’08 third-rounder Tom Zbikowski but similarly projects as an effective run defender and core special-teams player.

NFL projection: Fourth- to fifth-round pick.

GP

Go Texans!
From mojo's post:

Willing to take out the legs of charging offensive linemen and trust his teammates to make the easy tackle.
WTH? WOW!

Willing to dive at blockers' legs and free up other tacklers to make the play.

That's awesomeness. Just submarine a blocker on a sweep/toss or on a screen pass, taking the blocker out of the picture, and letting others come in and nab the carrier.

I luv it.

rmartin65

#1 he is a football player, kinda of the common theme in Wade Phillips first draft as defensive coordinator. He will do what he's told when he's told not questions asked.
True, but do you see him as a player with starting potential? I know this late in the draft you dont try for home runs every pick, but we have needs at other positions. In my eyes, Keo tops out as a backup and ST guy. I dont dislike the pick, but I dont particularly like it either.

GP

Go Texans!
I would say that almost every starter on offense is safe and has a job.

Nobody on defense is safe. Maybe Mario is, that'd be an exception I guess.

So many picks on defense. Wow.

badboy

Hall of Fame
On the fence. I like going to the safety position, but I am not a fan of Keo. While he is an effort guy, he is not physically gifted. He tops out as a ST/backup guy.

EDIT- Again, typing too fast. I left the "h" off of his name. Shiloh Keo
my eval too, I am aware of him but not on my board. Hope he plays ST

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I don't know the situation of what happened up there in Dallas but when the players quit on Wade, it had to hurt. He must have vowed, if he ever had a chance to impact his player profile he would take only football players who played out of love for the game. This draft represents players who don't quit & there could be a direct correlation made which really benefits the Texan organization moving forward. I have a real positive, strong feeling moving forward about this draft class having immediate impact & longterm impact.
:logo:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Wait a minute. SOmeone who watched the combine chime in. Keo is the guy that all the announcers were talking about as playing 120%. If this is the kid I'm thinking about he will bring more effort than anyone on the roster. I hope this is the same guy.

Like to hear the physical nature of his game but 20 % body fat?

You're a pro athlete now. I guess it's time to work on that huh?

rmartin65

Wait a minute. SOmeone who watched the combine chime in. Keo is the guy that all the announcers were talking about as playing 120%. If this is the kid I'm thinking about he will bring more effort than anyone on the roster. I hope this is the same guy.
I did not watch it all, but it sounds about right. He made plays in college, and he gives his all. I fear that his lack of elite athleticism will limit him in the pros.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Sounds good to me. Can't say I'm excited about the pick, but I'm glad they are throwing picks at the secondary. I hope he works out well.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Yes. This is THAT guy.

Even though I didn't have him rated as high as some other guys at this spot, I'm still psyched that we got him because it's THAT guy.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I love this pick. Yet another hustle guy with a non stop motor that goes all out on every single play. Just the type of guys we need. A guy I wanted us to take late in the draft.

rmartin65

Yes he liked his foot work and instincts. Thought he had a chance to cover better than expected becasue of those two things.
He can cover short areas because of that, but I dont want/feel comfortable with him covering over long distances. Now, he is great in goal-line situations.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He can cover short areas because of that, but I dont want/feel comfortable with him covering over long distances. Now, he is great in goal-line situations.
Yep but that is what I prefer in a strong. I don't want to watch him chase someone down from behind. This guy is a "go forward"player who will attack the TE or RB reaching the second level.

rmartin65

Yep but that is what I prefer in a strong. I don't want to watch him chase someone down from behind. This guy is a "go forward"player who will attack the TE or RB reaching the second level.
Strong Safeties still have to cover though. Keo is slower than many linebackers.

pirbroke

Veteran
how much speed will he pick up if he gets his bodyfat down? if he wants to play at next level he will have to get in shape.

CretorFrigg

Fire Rick Smith
Here's a scouting report on Shilo.

Positives: Thickly built with natural mass - bench-pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the Combine. Drops downhill hard and craves contact. Understands run fits and is a solid tackler. Surprisingly good feet and short-area quickness - tested the best of any safety in the short shuttle (3.9 seconds) and 3-cone drill (6.55 seconds) at the Combine. Intense competitor. Good football temperament. Football-smart. Has a special-teams coverage mentality and good run strength.

Negatives: Has short arms and does not have a cut physique - carrying a soft midsection and nearly 20 percent body fat, easily the highest of any defensive back at the Combine. Tight-hipped with below-average speed and suddenness. Limited range and cover skills. Does not intimidate physically. Average leaping ability. Instincts and diagnostic skills are just average - freelances too much, takes chances and gives up some big plays. Has a sense of entitlement that could rub some people the wrong way.

Summary: Tightly wound, physical, intense downhill safety best utilized as an extra linebacker in the box. Is not as athletic or as well-conditioned as Ravens ’08 third-rounder Tom Zbikowski but similarly projects as an effective run defender and core special-teams player.
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?statsid=141272#scouting

20% is pretty bad. He better start working out!