Sherman named Texans Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by prostock101, Jan 17, 2007.

1. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

From NFL Network......I think it's a good thing to have him back.

2. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

as expected.

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Anyone else expecting Ahman Green?

powerfuldragon likes this.
  4. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

Vinny likes this.
  5. Caddo1361

Caddo1361 Rookie

I think this is good for us. I have liked having Sherman on our staff with the experience he brings. The only problem is this just this delays him leaving next year.

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'm not sure if I greet this new information as good news or bad news, to be honest. But it is what it is, so go Coach Sherman!

7. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Good news, we wont have any major changes in our system next year. Continuity is usually a good thing with all these young guys on our offense and now they will have 2 years being coached by Kubiak/Sherman.

Bad news, Sherman will most likely leave next year and that'll start another learning curve I suppose.

8. WiiBrawler

WiiBrawler WiiMan

This is a good move considering he is a seasoned coach, hopefully he will put in more shot gun plays for Carr

9. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

More good news is that we have a second pipeline in the free agency sweepstakes. Denver and Green Bay players are now in play.

10. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I think that he was the real Offensive Coordinator last season anyway. At least if its an official title now, it'll clear up confusion.

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Well with Calhoun gone, instead of having 3 offensive minds we now have 2. So it'll definately help change from the identity crisis we had on offense last season.

Im hoping in this case we will have addition by subtraction.

12. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

With Kubiak/Sherman calling the plays it will give us a Green Bay/Denver offense which will attack opposing defenses a little better. Now all we need are the players to do it with.

13. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

Good news!

:redtowel:

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

last year we may have had too many cooks in the soup. He was the asst head coach anyway wasn't he? I expected him to be the OC if he didn't get another HC gig.

15. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think Kubiak probably knows Sherman will only be here for one year until he gets a HC job, so I'm guessing he's probably already going to start grooming someone from his own staff to take over the job if/when Sherman leaves.

16. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

IMO, having a stable OC on most NFL teams is a luxury. Personally, I think its rear for an OC to last more then a few years, particularly if they are any good.

I agree with most folks on this board, Sherman will get a HC next year and be gone. If Kubes is smart, he'll have Sherman train Brian Pariani, Kyle Shanahan or John Benton to replace him next year. The wild card is Chick Harris. Chick is one of the few surviving coaches from Capers' staff. Chick probably has the most experience as a coach, but wasn't brought in by Kubes. As far as Texans coaches go, the running backs may be the best coached squad on the team. Should be interesting to see what happens next year.

17. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I still don't like that Kubiak and Sherman have conflicting offensive philosophies (i.e. blocking schemes). I would rather have a coordinator who has a lot of experience with zone blocking and the west coast offense than Sherman, who is a good coach, but runs a different kind of offense.

18. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

It's not on the Chronicle, either.

If it does happen, it should be a good move, and to me it shows the direction this offseason will take. More attention to offensive acquisitions. Also, Sherman will want to show how good a coach he is because I figure his goal is to get back into the head coach's shoes. This will be good for the offense.

Unfortunately, my guess is that this means Flanagan stays. He didn't live up to his hype, and I'm hoping a new center will come out of the draft.

I think the first year, the coach brings more of "his guys." I don't expect to see as large a migration as we saw last year when it comes to players from Green Bay/Denver joining the team.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I see this as one more thing checked off on our to do list. This means we can concentrate on our own players and FA and then draft.

20. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

So will this make it easier for the Texans to trade down with Green Bay. After Ahman Green leaves in FA the Pack will be in dire straights for a RB. Moving back with GB would give us their #16 and their 2nd Rd (#47). That would give the Texans 3 of the top 50 picks (#s 16, 39, 47) Texans might have to give up their 6th RD pic to make this happen.

1. Charles Johnson, DE
    2. Merriweather, S
    2. Earl Everett, OLB
    3. Ryan Harris, OT
    4. Darius Walker, RB