Sherman early leader in Zona

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texian, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

POSTED 2:43 p.m. EST, January 6, 2007

SHERMAN THE EARLY LEADER IN 'ZONA

A league source tells us that Texans assistant and former Packers G.M./coach Mike Sherman is the early favorite to succeed Dennis Green as coach of the Cardinals. Sherman's biggest asset is his experience in the top jobs.

Running a close second, per the source, is Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Upcoming interviews for the Cardinals include Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, and Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

www.profootballtalk.com

2. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I expect that Chow will be it in the end if he doesn't screw up the interview. That's supposidly his weakpoint. If not Chow, we will probably see Sherm head for the Valley of the Sun.

3. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

Sherman will be gone to one of the openings this year.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Has Frank Bush been retained by the Cards? I know Kubiak was very interested in bringing him on board last year.

5. t_flare

t_flare Veteran

I bet it will be Norm Chow from Tenn... he will coach Matt Leinart again

6. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I bet the whole playoff thing is hurting Ron Rivera's candidacy for HC jobs....similar to how the Kubiak thing went down last year. He would be my choice if I was owner.

Denver going to the AFC Championship last year, really hampered the Texan's chances at some top tier assistant coaches...thank god for Sherman coming over

GL Sherman, the OL was spotty at times but I think much more cohesive and consistent this year...especially when Flan was healthy

when your coaches start getting hired by other teams, that is a good sign you MAY be on the right path :)

7. Revolution

Revolution All Pro

That is who I think Arizona will wait for and get...

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Agreed Revolution. Apperntly there is a link between the GM at Zona and Rivera. Shermans work with our shreded o-line should get him some sniffs for sure. Don't think it'll be Arizona though. Whoever the Zona guy is...prety sweet with the draft pick. Let the franchise OLT fall to you ..pick him. Maybe WE should apply. I can roll out the balls.

9. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

There are alot of cushy jobs up for grabs this season. Sherman is gonna get another shot at HC.

I think he would have alot of success in Pittsburgh personally.

10. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

Nod Grid -

I have a hunch that if Sherm doesnt get the Zona job - Him and 'Jerry" might be talking too. Honestly that would be really scary to see Sherman in Dallas now that I think about it.

Either way I dont see Sherman here next year - too many HC jobs open.

Arizona
    Miami
    Pittsburgh
    Oakland
    and looks like Dallas too.

11. TexansCM

TexansCM Rookie

Sherman is getting a second interview.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2726984

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have trimmed their list of head coaching candidates and are bringing Mike Sherman back for a second interview on Thursday.

At least two others are expected to have second sessions, but their names were not revealed when the team announced Wednesday that Sherman would have a second interview.

The Cardinals are believed to be waiting to see what happens in Pittsburgh, where Steelers assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm are leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, and Grimm, assistant head coach-offensive line coach, are among the eight candidates who interviewed for the Arizona job, and either or both could be among the Arizona finalists.

The Cardinals met with three candidates out of town because their teams are still in the playoffs: Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach-quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

A second interview with any of those three would have to wait until their team is out of the playoffs.

Sherman, former Green Bay Packers head coach and currently assistant head coach of the Houston Texans, was in Tempe for an interview last week.

Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow was interviewed in Arizona on Monday, but there was no word that he was being brought in again.

The other who was interviewed is Clancy Pendergast, who was defensive coordinator under Dennis Green and remains under contract with Arizona. However, Pendergast's interview was believed to be as a courtesy.

Green was fired after three losing seasons with the Cardinals.

12. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

Do we get any compensation for letting Sherman leave or was he only under contract for one year?

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

If they bring Chow back, likely him. No Chow, likely Sherman. Chow's weak point is supposed to be the interview and if he can get through it OK he would be a good one for them IMO due to his work with Lienert and he is just a good coach.

TexanSam likes this.
  14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'd heard that Chow's weak point was the interview, too. But I thought I'd heard yesterday that Chow's interview apparently went very well.

I think it's going to be Chow in Zona.

15. NATHANHALE

NATHANHALE Veteran

I thought coaches with play off teams could not interview until the play offs were over--wasn't that a 'big' gripe on the board last year?

16. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

The stipulation on coaches that are in the playoffs is that they cannot travel to be interviewed. I also do not think they can accept the HC job officially until thier team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Hate to lose Sherman, but to a degree it may give us a clearer identity on offense. We will strictly be using a hybrid Denver system instead of the mix of Denver and Sherman GB. He is a very good coach though and definately helped Kubes in this first year.

17. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I like Sherman, but I really hope he gets the Cardinals job. I feel like he adds alot to the Texans, but maybe too much. I want to see what Kubiak can do on his own.

18. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Profootballtalk.com just reported that Sherman got the Cardinals gig...

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Here's the link:

20. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Although I think that Sherman was a good influence in the locker room and for Kubiak, I think the conflicting offensive strategies were hurting the team, so in a way I am glad that he is leaving. Now we can focus solely on zone blocking and not a hybrid of zone and man blocking.

Please Alex Gibbs, just give us one season of your time.