Shelton to visit

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanfan2002114, May 23, 2005.

1. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Texans | Shelton to Visit - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 23 May 2005 18:29:51 -0700

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) will visit with the Houston Texans later this week. They see Shelton as a left tackle and someone who can protect QB David Carr's blind side.

2. carrtex

carrtex Rookie

i think they should jump on this one

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

He is also visiting with the Chiefs, Bears, and Jaguars...

4. DRIFTAWAY

DRIFTAWAY All Pro

Here's our chance. Maybe the Pitts to LT and Wand to LG was a big smokescreen thrown by CC as he plans on taking Shelton? Maybe he wants to play both Shelton and Wand at the same time and use Pitts as a backup to Shelton. But it probably is just a simple visit as all teams that have a need player become available usually bring him in for a visit, even if they know they won't sign him. I really hope it was the first one though.

I could see him going to the Bears though.

5. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Just what the Cheifs need...another great(although Shelton is relatively unproven) lineman...

6. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Here is a bit more from Adam Schefter

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8498274

First, the Texans made a major run at free-agent left tackle Orlando Pace. Once they failed to land him, they turned back to left tackle Seth Wand. Then, when the Texans convened for on-field drills today, they had moved Wand to left guard and Chester Pitts to left tackle. Last week, the Texans also signed veteran free agent Victor Riley, who can play left or right tackle. But for the right price, the Texans would love to add Shelton to protect David Carr's blind side. Shelton wants to play left tackle. And if that's the key factor, he could wind up in Houston.

You can find the rest of the story from the link.

7. Texans Pride

I believe we are actually his last visit.

8. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Really I don't mind being the last one he visits - it should be the most lasting impression and we have more time to prepare. It also means he hasn't made up his mind yet. I don't have a problem with Wand being a backup for a few years if Shelton performs much better. At some point, maybe Wand will be ready to take the job from Shelton.

9. Texans Pride

I've often heard of players having multiple visits with teams, but finding one he like in the first or second visit and canceling the rest of the visits...

Take that for what it is worth.

10. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

If he came to houston, there is no way that chester pitts would be our backup. he was arguably our best lineman last yr. he would likely stay at LG while shelton starts at LT. wand is the one who would be on the bench backing up shelton.

11. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Included in the article...

I really hope that we can pick him up but if we want him too badly I am worried we might over pay him like some people said when we signed Morlon Greenwood. I think at a reasonable amount we should get him, but lets not get ridiculous.

12. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I doubt that the bears sign him, I mean thet have Tait and Coloumbo battling it out for LT and I don't think they have the $$ to sign him.

13. Texans Pride

How much do we think it would cost to get him, and how much to we have to spend on him?

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, Pitts could also play RG, I'm sure. If Wade was injured, he could play RT as well...

Look, I don't know that Shelton is the answer, but I do know that an OL that includes Wade, Wand, Pitts, Riley, Shelton and Weigert increase the odds that we'll be able to field 2 healthy guards and 2 healthy tackles who will play up to the coaches' expectations.

Quality depth is a wonderful thing!!

15. Texan Dave

Texan Dave Veteran

I don't know that Shelton would be the answer either, but think of it this way guys. If Shelton signs, and considering that he has started at LT for years, and Wand or Pitts starts infront of him, it will probably mean they've gotten better, not that these other guys who have started for teams aren't any good. This is the NFL and these guys don't get their and start for teams for multiple years because they suck. Yes I'm saying that their is a possibility that Wand and Pitts have gotten better, even if they swap positions. Their's also that posibility that Wand could turn out be a better guard than Pitts, just as Pitts would be better at LT than Wand. Bottom line is that if Wand sucked, or had no talent, he would definately have never lined up at LT last year. Bruce Mathews was a way better guard than tackle, although, Bruce Mathews in the same breath as any of these guys may be a sin.

16. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

I totally agree. He has gone thru his share of growing pains and is our best lineman without a doubt.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Okay as a pennance you must find out who were the starting 5 lineman for the Oilers in 1985.

Really though, getting Shelton does alot more than we think. First off it answers not drafting a LT in the draft. If we draft a LT in this past draft, we probably don't go the route of trying to get this guy. Second, it brings the signing of Riley to an even better status because it spells the end for Spears and it now allows us to have quality depth at RT behind Wade. Third, with Riley moving to RT it will increase the longevity of the Wand expirement giving the kid from the very small school more reps with alot less pressure. Fourth, it gives us a legitimate LT for the first time in franchise history-nuff said there.

Basically our line looks like this:

Shelton Pitts Mckinney Weigert Wade
    Wand MBrown Rookie Washington Riley

Oh yeah my fifth point is that if we get this guy and he works out, we probably wont have to draft high for a lineman in future drafts to come. We can get some good guards in the later rounds.

18. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Sign him up C.C!!! With Shelton either Wand or Pitts will be a backup and that maybe a good thing for us. If Shelton signs it's likely that Wand will be the backup left tackle and he will provide us with good depth. Shelton is a proven player in this league and I think he'll improve our o-line a lot if we can sign him.

19. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

LT Shelton
    LG Pitts
    C McKinney
    RG Wiegert
    RT Wade

I could live with that.

20. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

My only comment is based on what we have seen, and that is, we would love to be able to replace McKinney to. He seems to be the delta or the mouth of the river for the kill the QB guys.