Shelley Smith video: 6th round rookie Stud!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

2. GNTLEWOLF

GNTLEWOLF All Pro

Nice find. I wasn't really thrilled with that pick when we got him, but if he continues like that I think out O-line will be good for a long time.

3. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Just wait until you see our video of Steve Maneri!!

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Isn't Maneri a converted TE ? Assuming his hands aren't terrible maybe the Texans should consider using him as a OT/TE combo because they are always looking for a big TE who's primarily a blocker. I haven't heard a thing about last years 4th round pick Hill who they drafted as a blocking-TE but ended up on IR in 2009, is he even practicing this year ? Maybe Maneri could be that guy ?

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Maneri looked good as a LT against Arizona in the 4th quarter. He is a convert from TE (Temple). I don't think he has any real shot at the roster. But, who knows... He's certainly a guy they have plans for. I'm almost positive he'll be on the practice squad.

Regarding Hill, he is on the PUP right now. So, he doesn't practice with the team but he practices on the side during camp. He has been catching balls out of the ball machine and I think he's jogging. He will be on PUP to start the season or on IR, unless they work out an injury settlement and cut him altogether.

6. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Dang. Shelley Smith looked pretty good. Granted, it was AZ's depth but he was quick of the line and laying strong blocks in both videos. And he man handled that DT in the 2nd one, has anyone ever seen Chris Myers or Kasey Studdard stand ground against a DT, let alone push one back 10 yards? Studdard's place is anything but a lock to me. Chris Myers at least has the C responsibilities, probably where his true worth lies...

Brown-Smith-Myers-Caldwell-Winston? I sure would like to see that.

Looking forward to the Maneri post, you guys at Battle Red are really doing good work!

As for Hill, I think he gets IRed here pretty soon. I think he's too young to bail on but I'm doubting a recovery in time to get on the field. Plus with Graham looking like a player there isn't really room but with so much depth maybe a high priced TE prices himself right outta Houston.

7. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I didn't see the game, but Smith did look very good in those 2 highlights. Let's remember though that he was going against Arizonas 2nd and 3rd string players.

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

So was Chris White! uggh.

By the way, the first video, where Shelley Smith blocks the LB and opens that hole for Ben Tate... that was Shelley Smith's first NFL snap. That's a heck of a start.

9. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    And kicking their ass. He's not in the HOF yet but let's see how SSSSSSmitty progresses. Kasey Studdard is no lock to start day 1 OR keep his job if there is someone doing bigger and better things behind him. If the 5 OL out there are truly the 5 best OL guys, then Kasey Studdard is #5. Even if it is weaker competition, the fact would remain that SSSSSmitty is above that level. Test him on the next level, we've seen what Studdard can do...and what absolutely cannot.

10. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Yes, I have!

I had posts about Myers taking DTs a long way downfield.
    I also had a post about Myers pancake Casey Hampton, the big NT from Galveston that quite a many posters here want to see in Texans uni.

Regarding Smith, I did not have time to start a thread to breakdown his collegiate game tapes.
    But I did say that he looked strong and quick in the Shriner game against some of the D-guys that were drafted in the mid-rounds.
    Just need to see how he does against stronger competitions.
    He defnitely looks promising, that's for sure!

11. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I'd love to see Smith working out and playing with the starters, if he sucks then he'll be on par with Studdard.

BigBull17 likes this.
  12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

What does he look like when he gets beat?

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

He hasn't been beat yet. Seriously.

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

Where is the highlight of Shelley Smith letting DE John Fletcher sack Booty on the last play of the game?

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

If you watch that play, Shelley Smith picked up one of the inside blitzers. Which was his assignment. The DE that got in was Chris Henry's assignment.

If Smith had picked up the DE and let what appears to be the safety (#35) go free, Henry would have been in even worse position to make the block.

Henry hesitated and moved slowly, he needed to get around JDB quickly. He needed to make a quicker, more aggressive outside step and then throw himself inside to get in the guy's way. JDB needed to see that the DE was coming hard and get the ball out but Chris Henry was in the way of his drop disrupting the timing of the throw.

I put that squarely on Henry.

Brandon420tx likes this.
  16. Rey

Rey Guest

Without having re-watched that play, I'm going to say that there is no way that we could know who was supposed to pick up who..

Pass blocking is a very difficult concept. I know that a lot of coaches don't want their RB's picking up DE's and would rather their interior line let inside blitzers go and instead handle the D-linemen. Think about it...You don't want your O-line to pick up Eugene Wilson on a blitz only to leave Mario Williams on your RB...

Of course there are a lot of variables that go into this. Play type, formation, player skill level, shotgun vs. under center...ect...

I am not saying it was Henry's fault, and I'm not saying it was Smith's fault...Hell, sometimes the defense just "guesses right" and makes it darn near impossible for the line to pick up all the blitzers on any given play...When that happens the QB has to pick up the slack by either going down and not fumbling, throwing the ball away, or finding his hot...

My point here though, is that it is very difficult for almost anyone outside of the Texans offensive meeting room to know who missed an assignment on a given play.

I haven't re-watched the play so you could be 100% right because if the QB is under center your not supposed to let interior blitzers come free ever, because the RB has no chance of getting to them.

17. Blake

Blake MMQB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMtMy9BbFE

2:50 in.

TE goes up the field for a pass.
    LT Maneri takes the pass rushing OLB.
    LG Shelley decides to take the DT and let the DE rush right by. The center RG and RT all have a man over them as well.

RB Henry lets Booty 3 step drop right into him causing the collision and then gifting the sack to Fletcher.

Protection break down could be from the center who didnt identify the blitz properly. The RB who didnt step around and take out the DE.

If Booty would have called Max protect with his TE then we would have been fine.

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

TPN is right, IMHO.

1. Smith took the inside guy (the one with the shortest path to the QB).

2. As a RB, Henry should never get tangle with a QB when he makes his drop.
    Period.
    All Henry had to do was to take an outside step and did as TPN described.

19. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, I'm going to say it was a combination of Henry's and Booty's fault since that is essentially what Kubiak said. He said the sack happened because the RB and QB collided in the backfield.

20. Rey

Rey Guest

That's not what he said.

This is what he said:

He is saying that they didn't pick up the stunt AND the QB and back ran into each other. Then he goes on to say that it was a good call on their part.

He didn't really specify blame for the sack. He didn't say that the stunt wasn't picked up BECAUSE they ran into each other. To me it sounds like he is saying it was a combonation of things...Stunt not picked up correctly, RB QB issues in the backfield, Well called blitz on their part...

That quote isn't telling me anything definitive.