Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Shaun Rogers?

scourge

Digression King
I noticed that DT Shaun Rogers of the Lions is gonna be eligible for unrestricted free agency after this year. If the Lions don't sign him to an extension, do you think we should throw some big money his way?

I say yes, because he's only 25 and he's from Houston. Not to mention that he's 6-4 345 lbs and one of the best DTs in the game right now. I think he'd be a great fit in either Payne or Walker's spot. Dont get me wrong, I like both Payne and Walker, but with their injuries and age we may wanna bring in a young powerhouse like Rogers. And with his size and strength he should drastically improve our run defense.

am i alone in this thinking?

scourge said:
I noticed that DT Shaun Rogers of the Lions is gonna be eligible for unrestricted free agency after this year. If the Lions don't sign him to an extension, do you think we should throw some big money his way?

I say yes, because he's only 25 and he's from Houston. Not to mention that he's 6-4 345 lbs and one of the best DTs in the game right now. I think he'd be a great fit in either Payne or Walker's spot. Dont get me wrong, I like both Payne and Walker, but with their injuries and age we may wanna bring in a young powerhouse like Rogers. And with his size and strength he should drastically improve our run defense.

am i alone in this thinking?

I think it's a good thought and would be great if it happened, but they gave Walker alot of money last offseason. I'd be willing to bet the Texans re-sign Payne. So, it would probably be unlikely they go after Shaun Rogers. Expect them to draft DL help in the first round. Much cheaper.

pskinny said:
I think it's a good thought and would be great if it happened, but they gave Walker alot of money last offseason. I'd be willing to bet the Texans re-sign Payne. So, it would probably be unlikely they go after Shaun Rogers. Expect them to draft DL help in the first round. Much cheaper.

Well, if they went after Rogers, then they'd definitely let Payne go. I certainly would like to see it. However, it may be hard to get him for under 8 million a year, which would be tough to do.

I noticed that DT Shaun Rogers of the Lions is gonna be eligible for unrestricted free agency after this year. If the Lions don't sign him to an extension, do you think we should throw some big money his way? I say yes, because he's only 25 and he's from Houston. Not to mention that he's 6-4 345 lbs and one of the best DTs in the game right now. I think he'd be a great fit in either Payne or Walker's spot. Dont get me wrong, I like both Payne and Walker, but with their injuries and age we may wanna bring in a young powerhouse like Rogers. And with his size and strength he should drastically improve our run defense.

I doubt it will happen. Payne is returning to his old self and we have a lot of money tied up in Gary Walker.

We have a ton of money tied up in Gary Walker AND Robaire Smith. DeLoach, Sears and Payne are all eligigle for free agency after this season. I think they will lock Payne up if he stays healthy.

If Rogers does not get tagged, it is clear that the texans need to go after him. Walker is tied up for 2 years. Rogers is more powerful than Walker, and would provide great push. Signing Rogers would allow us to have a great 4 man rotation on the line. :twocents:

No way detroit lets rodgers go they put the tag on him, and by some miracle they do let him go the texans would be stupid not to go after him he's better than anyone on our defensive line and younger! This would also allow us to go after a stud middle linebacker or LT in the draft.

personally i don't see us re-signing payne...you say he's back to his old self but he hasn't gotten a single sack yet...he's slackin on the tackles...i don't see the point in re-signing a million dollar knee case...i also don't see us going after rogers simply because of the money issue...unless he's very willing to come for cheap so he can be in his hometown i don't see us getting him...draft spears move smith to the NT position problem solved

keyfro said:
personally i don't see us re-signing payne...you say he's back to his old self but he hasn't gotten a single sack yet...he's slackin on the tackles.
3-4 Nose Tackles don't get many sacks or tackles. They tie up blockers for the most part. Their responsibility is to control two gaps in the line. Heck, all linemen in a 3-4 tie up blockers. For instance, Gary Walker went to the Pro Bowl with 6 sacks and 36 Tackles two years ago. You cannot judge the value of a 3-4 linemen on stats.

Vinny said:
3-4 Nose Tackles don't get many sacks or tackles. They tie up blockers for the most part. Their responsibility is to control two gaps in the line. Heck, all linemen in a 3-4 tie up blockers. For instance, Gary Walker went to the Pro Bowl with 6 sacks and 36 Tackles two years ago. You cannot judge the value of a 3-4 linemen on stats.

True, true. Not any DT can play NT either. Rogers may not be a good fit there.

I think Rogers benefits from his 4-3 system, he lines up with three others next to him on every play. He lines up next to Dan Wilkinson, who commands more than one blocker on alot of plays. He also has good defensive ends to benefit from (James Hall and Kalimba Edwards have combined for 9 sacks this year). Robert Porcher (on the other side) is a good enough player to command some blocking respect (he has had seven seasons of 8 sacks or more).

If put in the Texans 3-4 system, you might not see him dominate the way he does in Detroit.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Rogers is a perfect fit to play NT.

Well, I am not sure how good he is in a 2 gap system. He has the physical skills, but not every DT has the ability to do it mentaly.

Back