Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Shaun Cody -- Injured

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I realize there are varying degrees of everything, and I will certainly defer to Cn'D on anything he may say, but I found this from last season...

LINK

I'll also throw in that Romo started one week later vs. the Redskins, and didn't miss a start all season. On the other hand, he only had one broken rib, and I haven't seen any report on Cody that didn't refer to broken ribs in the plural. And I realize there's also a difference between playing D-Line and QB.
Romo was put in 1 week following his "punctured lung." Per one of my inside sources immediately following his injury, it was revealed that he sustained a minimal pneumothorax which sealed off quickly with total reinflation within the week, this fits within the 1-2 week period in my previous post...........the 1 week minimal time out still probably not being the wisest route for a football player, but we all know that with football players, the wisest route is not all that common.

Even taking into account that Cody had ONLY sustained three fractured ribs, let's look at this situation with a little additional analytic eye. Romo is a QB.........and Cody is a DT. How often is Romo expected to be hit in the chest.......5, maybe 10 times during the game? A DT on the other hand makes his living exposing himself as a human piniata, being pushed, punched and/or piled on every single play he plays in the game. With rib fractures, it doesn't matter if you are hit from the front, the side or the back........it moves the fracture site. With single fractures, there is less likelihood of significant movement of the fracture segments as opposed to multiple fractures. Multiple rib fractures typically result in a more unstable and vulnerable chest superstructure. And the more movement of the fracture segments secondary to outer forces applied to the chest, the more likely the sharp edges of the fractured bone is to repuncture and thus recollapse the lung........usually to a subtotal to total extent which could result in an immediate life-threatening scenario.

Here is a CT scan that demonstrates a single fractured sharp edge (yellow arrow). To help orient you to what you are looking at, this is a "cut"/view that simulates the magician cutting a body in two and looking at one half from the side. On the apparent left, the mottled large area taking up most of the left side is a normal fully inflated lung. On the apparent right, the mottled area is small and collapsed (its outer border identified by the red arrows)

For those of you that are saying to yourselves, a flak jacket will protect Cody from further injury. Flak jackets work by widely distributing the force of trauma instead of allowing it to concentrate it on the fracture sites. But flak jackets do not guarantee complete protection from reinjury. And repeated impact to the chest during a game, flak jacket or not, does nothing to help the healing process and thereby can only serve to empirically impede it.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I'm saying it now, sit him, and sit him until he's healthy. Can't be losing this guy for the playoffs.

If it is only a case of giving him one week off, a non-conference road game is not a bad game to choose either.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I'm saying it now, sit him, and sit him until he's healthy. Can't be losing this guy for the playoffs.

If it is only a case of giving him one week off, a non-conference road game is not a bad game to choose either.

That's what I'd do. Try to get away with sitting him a few weeks or as long as it takes for him to get healthy. You want the ribs better, you want the lung healed up, and it wouldn't hurt to give that bad back a rest before starting the run to the playoffs. We'll need him then so rest him now. The guy is an 8 year veteran, he can stay in decent shape without taking a beating and will be able to get back to playing speed/shape in a short amount of time when he's healed up.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Is this rehab and ready for playoffs, or are we talking IR here ?
We'll never know! You know how vague the Texans are! If you were to ask my opinion which is BASELESS and UNFOUNDED. Just going on what we know about Shaun Cody.

corrosion said:
He missed one play and went right back in .... Tough SOB.
I'm gonna say he'll be back in a couple weeks. Guy's a warrior.

GlassHalfFull

Hall of Fame
Didn't Tony Romo break a rib and puncture his lung last season?

Tough news for the Texans, Cody is a warrior. I would think it would be a longer rehab for a lineman to get back in the game.

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. And good drugs while healing.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Didn't Tony Romo break a rib and puncture his lung last season?

Tough news for the Texans, Cody is a warrior. I would think it would be a longer rehab for a lineman to get back in the game.

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. And good drugs while healing.
See post #46 in this thread.

Edit: Might be worth looking at #51 also.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
It's really a shame that we lost Ra'Shon Harris for the year. He could have filled in for Cody a bit. Any one have an idea who will be starting at NT this week?

drs23

Veteran
It's really a shame that we lost Ra'Shon Harris for the year. He could have filled in for Cody a bit. Any one have an idea who will be starting at NT this week?
I don't know but my "idea" would be Mitchell. Who else comes to mind?

Source/link? Would like to see the info...
I was listening to 1560 this afternoon and they said something like whoever reported it jumped the gun and Cody was upset that it was said. And they said they expect him to play against CHI, sorry I don't have a link but that's all I heard.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I was listening to 1560 this afternoon and they said something like whoever reported it jumped the gun and Cody was upset that it was said. And they said they expect him to play against CHI, sorry I don't have a link but that's all I heard.
I would take this "new report" with a grain of salt. More of an avoidance of revealing to the Bears who is going to be playing the position on Sunday.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The word "procedure" is so convenient.

Shaun Cody has ‘procedure’ to repair injury
Posted on November 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm by Tania Ganguli

Texans nose tackle Shaun Cody had a procedure this week to help with a torso injury he suffered against Buffalo.

“I know he had a procedure done that is tied to his ribs, somehow associated with what took place with his ribs,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “The procedure went good. It got him back in position, working back toward the field.”

The Chronicle reported Wednesday Cody suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

Although Cody denied his lung was punctured, he remained vague about the details of his injury

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Someone asked me what procedure he may have undergone and if I believed he would be able to play. To answer the latter, although the Texans and Cody are implying that he may very well play, no way under any of the scenarios presented should he be allowed to play this Sunday. As to the former question:

This could have been one of several procedures. Most likely examples might be:

1)Placement of a chest tube to re-inflate a collapsed lung (despite his denial of a “punctured lung.”

2)Surgical placement of some sort of mini-plating of the rib fractured segments in order to block movement of these segments (which accounts for most of the severe long-term on-going pain due to this type of injury). A fractured nose, even when the nose might end up at right angles to the face is essentially painless because muscles are not tugging on and moving the bone fragments.

Here’s an example of one such system:

3)Narcotics are not very effective in controlling rib fracture pain. Nerve block injections with needles if employed must be repeated in many different locations/angles. Therefore, sometimes injection tubing (like mini IV tubing) leading to the appropriate nerves to bathe the area(s) with local anesthetic can be placed with a little port either implanted under the skin or left outside the skin for convenient injection as needed. (Not the same, but along the principles of an epidural anesthesia line).

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Is it still cortisone they use Doc? I know around 10 years ago or so it was all the rage in soccer and players were playing through all sorts of knocks, until it became obvious just how much damage it does to a player to go full speed whilst injured and completely oblivious to pain. Think it crocked quite a number of players before their prime and has died off a little as a result.

The thing is, in a 16 game season the pressure is on both the team and the player to maximise each game, which makes it easy for them to forget that pain is there for a reason, masking it hides rather than removing the problem.

I personally wont feel too comfortable if Cody is smacked off his face on drugs and sent out there, there is a limit to how much toughing up I like to see in my athletes and given the dangers associated with this injury it pushes me beyond my limits in this case.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I imagine Cody is thinking this is his last year on contract & he wants to show some team if not Texans & he wants to be on field to do it.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Is it still cortisone they use Doc? I know around 10 years ago or so it was all the rage in soccer and players were playing through all sorts of knocks, until it became obvious just how much damage it does to a player to go full speed whilst injured and completely oblivious to pain. Think it crocked quite a number of players before their prime and has died off a little as a result.

The thing is, in a 16 game season the pressure is on both the team and the player to maximise each game, which makes it easy for them to forget that pain is there for a reason, masking it hides rather than removing the problem.

I personally wont feel too comfortable if Cody is smacked off his face on drugs and sent out there, there is a limit to how much toughing up I like to see in my athletes and given the dangers associated with this injury it pushes me beyond my limits in this case.
It can be either long-acting local anesthetic alone or mixed with corticosteroids. Corticosteroid in the form of injections at trauma sites have always been a double-edged score. They bring down inflammation which is a significant factor in the creation of pain. However, they all decrease the ability of tissues to heal by decreasing many of the healing processes (including the case of broken bones), including the laying down of collagen to strengthen wounds. The steroid can also diffuse to nearby tissues unintended to be involved in the injection and thus lead to weakening, breakdown or death of these tissues (eg, neighboring bone, muscle, tendon, ligament, fat and even skin). This is not even to mention steroid's effect of decreasing immunologic protection of the tissues, injected and adjacent, significantly increasing the risk of their infection.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I expect Mitchell to get the nod.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Crick trots out there.
(on if NT Terrell McClain is ready to play) “He better be. He’s going to play. The versatility comes from (NT) Earl (Mitchell) and it comes from (DE Jared) Crick. Crick’s really fun to watch right now, practice, to watch a guy just kind of come out, I’m going to say shell. I don’t know if he was in one, but to watch his personality come out a little bit. He’s got a lot of confidence in what he’s doing. He does not act like a rookie anymore on the practice field. He’s going to be important to what we do in the second half of the season.”
link

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They don't want to freak everybody out and just come out and say "Adamantium bonded to his skeleton". I mean, is that even legal?

So instead they say "procedure". Makes sense if you think about it.
Aaaah... a Wolverine reference... MSR.

and you'd think they'd have done that on Cushing. He has the mentality for it.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
They don't want to freak everybody out and just come out and say "Adamantium bonded to his skeleton". I mean, is that even legal?

So instead they say "procedure". Makes sense if you think about it.
I don't think so - he's a FA after this season - can you imagine the leverage that would give him?

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Aaaah... a Wolverine reference... MSR.

and you'd think they'd have done that on Cushing. He has the mentality for it.

I think they already did that to Cushing. That's why he plays the way he does. Sadly it doesn't bond well to ligaments so what can you do?