Sharpton: PUP

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 5, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This has gone under the radar. The article doesn't specifically mention it, but he has been placed on PUP/ACT(ive).

2. Rey

Rey Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if sharpton never plays for us again.

3. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Based on?

4. CloakNNNdagger

Most likely, during the leg extension rehab, his still weakened quad was being overloaded, and he was trying to compensate by using his hip flexors which elevates the thigh, to assist elevation of his lower leg against the weight. A hip flexor tear is what probably resulted.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Is inability to stay on the field and that he was drafted for a different system. If DeMeco Ryans wasn't a good fit for Phillips 3-4, then Sharpton's really not a good fit. I see an injury settlement in Sharpton's future.

6. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Yeah, but unless there's more to the injury than even the recent setback would have you believe (and that's always a possibility), I think the makeup of the roster has him back for another year. Things are pretty thin at ILB once you get past Cushing and James.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, I've been watching this and I've definitely got a bad feeling gnawing at my innards.

Immediately after the James signing, I was of the opinion that Sharpton was the incumbent starter and James, his backup. That all changed in the OTAs. And with James' knowledge and experience, I think I was wrong to pencil Sharpton in as the starter at that point.

But now, I'm worried about Sharpton even playing for us this season.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    It's not so bad, Loiseau seems to be a perfect fit for what they need, as long as he's continuing to make strides in practice I believe he'll be on the roster as a special teamer, much like Braman last year. I also believe Brooks Reed could step over and play Mike or Mo a handful of plays a game if needed. Realistically, this D is probably going to operate out of nickel for the majority of snaps so the importance of the 3rd ILB is far less than a 3rd corner, a 3rd pass rusher (why they drafted Mercilus) or even a 3rd lineman or safety. Even still, there's always Dobbins....that one hit he put on Rice at the goalline was worth carrying him on the roster the whole year.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

That sucks for him. Hopefully he can bounce back from his injuries.

10. Rey

Rey Guest

I personally think we are fine at ilb with dobbins, mister Alexander and louiseau.

And really I think people are sleeping on mister Alexander. I think he can thrive in wades defense as a run support lb.

I don't know how his pass coverage or blitz skills are, but I am excited to see how he has progressed.

11. Rey

Rey Guest

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too.

I think this is all leading up to an injury settlement.

Even if he were to get healthy enough to play it's going to take him some time to get back to playing shape and you just have to wonder if sharpton is worth the trouble to put it bluntly.

12. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I agree with Rey. I think we've got good depth with Dobbins, Alexander, and Louiseau. It's an old saying but it's true, You can't make the team from the trainers table or the IR list. Also I've never seen what's so special about Sharpton, he's undersized for the position and has an extensive injury history here. He's just not worth all the effort to hang onto him so that we can maybe make him into an undersized backup ILB. If Rick Smith is smart he's working on an injury settlement with Sharpton.

13. CloakNNNdagger

Kubiak today:

link

14. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Did we ever get specifics on his hip injury that he suffered early in TC/OTA's?